Third Party Press

Fg42 s/n 02415

jithaca

Any info on FG42 serial number 02415 would be appreciated. From the serial number, I am assuming it is a second model.

Thanks

Last edited:
That would be a Type G or also known commonly as the second model. What are you trying to find out about it?

I actually got to hold one of those ebay papers a while back. If you own those FG papers in question, throw some light on it. They just print those bad boys on modern printer paper. I think you will probably be able to see a water mark on there from the paper company. Will be able to tell its modern paper by the threads and stuff. They used an inkjet printer, so there is another way to tell.

That is it. I bought it off of ebay. A google search found other items related to the same guy being sold at a military auction site.

That's true, but if you look at his discharge papers included in the set, you'll see he was discharged in August 1945. There's no way he'd have papers dated for September if that's the case. The papers also have the classic look of the fake eBay forms that get listed every now and then.

I'm guessing someone was going to enhance that US Paratrooper collection with these papers, which list 2 very desirable German paratrooper relate items, and later changed their mind and just sold them off.

Unfortunately it is a common occurrence for fakers to use ASNs and names included in Ebay groupings. I see fakers purchase groupings off of ebay, and then magically a capture paper and pistol appears with the grouping.

The biggest red flag to me is that I have never seen a legitimate papered bringback MG on that form. The standardized form you show references circular 155. Circular 155 was issued on May 28th 1945 and specifically prohibits machine guns from being brought back due to obvious concerns. I have seen papered MGs from this time frame, but they were all special forms and were all brought back by officers. I would not expect a tech sargent to be able to bring something back like that. Of course, a lot of stuff was snuck home in duffle bags.

Below is a direct quote from the circular.

b. The following items are prohibited by
3.b (3) in circular 155
• (3) Firearms of the automatic type (or
component types) such as machine guns,
submachineguns, or any type of gun which
a number of shots or bullets may be
discharged with one continuous pull of the
trigger.

The entire circular is well worth the read because it talks about a lot of interesting things, like the trafficking of war trophies being illegal.

If there is any value to the forum in helping id fakes, I can post some close up photos of the document. I have one of the cheap USB microscopes I use for looking at proof marks.

Military Rifle Journal
Back