Third Party Press

Trying to figure out what I have here, help!

BigShell

I picked up what I thought was a matching 1915 Erfurt K98az with a mismatched bolt, and have to say I am a bit disappointed with what I received, although I didn't break the bank, so not really heartbroken. I knew it wasn't perfect, with the obviously sanded and lacquered stock, etc, but there seem to be more issues which I think the seller (and I, truth be told) were oblivious to.

I am fairly new to this corner of the collecting world, so I'm hoping the experts here can advise me on just what I have. As you can see some bolt components are simply marked "o" with an un-checkered bolt knob, the rear band is, I believe a later 98k band, has a two-piece handguard, barrel seems longer than it should, stock/handguard are un-numbered inside the barrel channel, and has what I think is a Gew98 sling swivel. Please correct me on any of the above points if I am mistaken. Aside from all things previously mentioned, the rifle is incredibly dirty, though it may clean up okay.

Also of note: the bolt sticks in the receiver and takes a lot of force to pull it out. When I tried another 98az bolt from a parts gun I am working on, it cycled just fine, actually very smoothly.

Hate to even ask, but would it be worth parting out and moving on?

Pics provided off site due to file size:
https://imgur.com/a/9iBeCjK

This is a Turked Kar.98a (these are not Kar.98AZ, though someones use of the designation is a good clue that they do not know much about the kar.98a and their commentary should be ignored, especially when selling). These are not worth anywhere near $600 and parting out will still leave you short of what you paid.

Next time ask for help as I look over rifles routinely for people, though evaluations after the fact are not especially productive, once you get stuck with something it can be a challenge to get unstuck...

This is a Turked Kar.98a (these are not Kar.98AZ, though someones use of the designation is a good clue that they do not know much about the kar.98a and their commentary should be ignored, especially when selling). These are not worth anywhere near $600 and parting out will still leave you short of what you paid.

Next time ask for help as I look over rifles routinely for people, though evaluations after the fact are not especially productive, once you get stuck with something it can be a challenge to get unstuck...

You're speaking of the one I received (in the OP), or the one that was advertised that I did not end up with? Or both?

I am speaking specifically of the Turk jobs, the one from your pictures, - regarding the offered rifle, I wouldn't have purchased the rifle based upon those pictures alone, but "that rifle", if accurately described, could have been worth $500-600 though the stock is an obvious replacement (a 1915 would not have grips & TD and such a rifle would be no bargain at $600). At best that was a period rework, which are uncommon and I would have advised caution. Even if period replaced value would take a serious hit and depend on fine details (an otherwise factory bolt-mismatcher Erfurt/15 98a, what was offered but misdescribed, would be a good deal at $625, most would know this and were probably suspicious of the stock configuration and lousy pictures, I know I would have been)

Purchases made with such limited information is very risky, even had he sent the rifle pictured (which is an entirely different problem). I would have advised getting more pictures before agreeing to $625.

I do agree that assuming you purchased the rifle imaged and the seller sent the one you received then you have a serious grievance. Of course, unless the seller admits to an error and sends the actual rifle, you will probably have to rely upon Gunboards intervention. That is hardly a comforting thought, - Gunboards trader rules contributed to your victimization, their no discussion crusade and moderator tempertantrum when a violation occurs make new collectors vulnerable. Hopefully the seller accidentally sent the wrong rifle and will correct this error, but if you can't get some satisfaction you will find it incredibly difficult to get your $625 back out of this Turked 98a.

Military Rifle Journal
Back