Third Party Press

SMG Type I Stock

jithaca

Does anyone know what the SMG Type I Butt Stock is going to look like? One of the posts on the SMG web site has a picture of the Type I with what looks like a plastic stock. Didn't know if this was a prototype thing or what will be on the rifle.

Hi,
Thanks for helping with the type I stock issue, an answer is always just a conversation away. There is always an answer! It is still a problem, and we are still limping along. But that does not have the brakes on the project. We completed the last run of type II receivers we anticipate making for the next year so once they are gone it will be a while. And we are working on another group of DP28 and DPM receivers but that is on the one horizontal.

All efforts ae now back on the type I. We are 95% finished with half the correct style charging handles, again cutting away at the receivers, have bolts and carriers about 75% finished and parts and pieces in all stages of finished from when we had to back away a little over a year ago because of money.

The plastic looking stock was a wooden one painted black. It has metal internals and it works fine but when we asked a bunch of potential type I buyers - type II buyers - about it the overwhelming response was a metal stock or nothing, wow.... The Shoei was considered but is a solid die cast aluminum part that makes the rifle a bit butt heavy. That and it has to have the holes cored off center a little to fit and that is a big pin to do right. Doable but again, not what people are willing to buy.

Yes we had people say they would buy it with a wrong stock either at a big discount or if we would give them the correct one free when we had them in hand. Both understandable but not really financially feasible for us on this project.

I have not heard Dingo's take on this but doubtfull another company that makes the same product would want to do that. We will post pictures and updates when we get enough in hand to make it look like progress. Thye rifle is being built though!!

Rick

In one of my previous jobs we fabricated a lot of hollow half shells using hydro forming. Have you had the chance to look into it?

Yes but getting into a whole new way of making things will require the equipment and time for the learning curve as sheet metal work is not machining and so I am trying to find someone else to do this.

Hi,
The Shoei was considered but is a solid die cast aluminum part that makes the rifle a bit butt heavy. That and it has to have the holes cored off center a little to fit and that is a big pin to do right. Doable but again, not what people are willing to buy.
Rick
Is the Shoei’s FG42 stock not the same design as the original? If you do not have access to one I have an original stock if you need any info/weight or pics. It’s a pretty complicated piece of stamping but maybe it’ll give you some ideas of how proceed. The stock of the type E is really it’s defining visual feature.

Hi Sen24,
I have no way to verify the Shoie to an original past a kind offer like yours. I have a Shoie stock of course and a trusty set of calipers..... The Shoie is a solid aluminum casting though and is very a$$ end heavy and probably would add 1/2 to a pound of weight to the rifle. Wouldn't ever break though!

Still hoping to get your help on the manual when we get more parts made to do the detail pictures like on the type II.

Best regards,
Rick

Hi Sen24,
I have no way to verify the Shoie to an original past a kind offer like yours. I have a Shoie stock of course and a trusty set of calipers..... The Shoie is a solid aluminum casting though and is very a$$ end heavy and probably would add 1/2 to a pound of weight to the rifle. Wouldn't ever break though!

Still hoping to get your help on the manual when we get more parts made to do the detail pictures like on the type II.

Best regards,
Rick

Hey Rick, I know this process would also require outside help but what about the same process HK/ SIG use to make some of their slides and frames. The exact name escapes me but it's powdered metal and medium that melts away during the baking process??? Very pleased you're making progress and awaiting my offer email to purchase one...

Hi Sen24,

Best regards,
Rick
I will definitely do the manual again. I’d also love to do the fonts and stamps again. I thought they turned out great and the serial numbers looked authentic on your current FG42. I can take a scan of my original type 1 “FG42” stamp and serial numbers stamps so we can make a set of accurate dies again if you like.

I will definitely do the manual again. I’d also love to do the fonts and stamps again. I thought they turned out great and the serial numbers looked authentic on your current FG42. I can take a scan of my original type 1 “FG42” stamp and serial numbers stamps so we can make a set of accurate dies again if you like.

Great to read this as the Type II manual was excellent!!

Great to read this as the Type II manual was excellent!!

Thank you. It was sort of a labor of love trying to make manual look like the original. I’m excited to help out with the new type 1 and hopefully make it even cooler.

Military Rifle Journal
Back