Third Party Press

What Would You Do With This K98k...?

pwcosol

Picked up the pictured Kar98k at my local swapper this weekend. Rifle is a 243 | 1938 and is matched except the bolt, which appears to be from a German reissued (and blued) Czech Vz24. Bolt has a 4-digit serial number very lightly stamped on the top of the shaft & is marked "K5" on the underside flat. The rifle shows substantial handling & finish wear and that on the bolt is commensurate with the rifle. Looks like the bolt has been with this rifle for some time. No import markings, Russky pings or defaced acceptance markings. Bore is surprisingly nice & the stock shows no signs of being messed with. My dilemma is where do I go from here? Earlier in the year, when I had a number of K98k bolts & components for sale, I would have had several decent bolts from which to choose. Haven't had need for a spare in many years, and of course now that they are gone, I could use one! On the other hand, I only have $250. in the rifle and as I look at it, wonder if I should just let it be. It is nothing I plan to keep & already have a much nicer 'K for a shooter. Thoughts appreciated...

Last edited:
Well, personally, I would buy a 98k bolt that would match in finish and wear (personally, I don't care about matching manufacturers via WaA), and keep the VZ bolt and tag it with what it originally goes in...

I just think a 98k looks weird with a straight handled bolt...

But I could be possible the VZ bolt was a replacement, though doubtful...

If the rest of the gun matches minus the bolt, swap with a proper bolt and sell as a bolt mismatch.

It's a nice pre war k98 and if just a bolt mismatch can fetch a good price depending what you acquired it for.

Gents:

Thanks to all for your comments. I was leaning towards the "find a proper bolt" option myself. Got a couple guys I can reach out to, whom may be able to help. Also have a small pile of G33/40 parts which I might put up on the Forum Trader, to swap for a suitable bolt. There is a certain appeal to a well-used combat rifle, bayonet, etc. I have a 237 | 1940 matched 'K which is in the mid-to-low 90% condition range. Piece was acquired from the Vet whom stated he had brought four rifles back from Italy (just north of Florence). Of the four, he had sold the other three over the years, but had "kept the best one" for last. It was purchased by me in the mid-1980s and perhaps my favorite 'K because it looks like it did the day the rifle was laid down on the surrender pile in 1945. The rub wear on the safety, left side of stock, etc. shows this piece was "on the march" for many a mile. It is possible it could have come north all the way from Sicily. Either way, it is a rifle with a story being told to those whom can read it...

Last edited:
Well being into it for 'only' $250 I think you could do a mild cleaning and if you could find an early e/26 bolt in similar finish condition I believe the value would go way up. 1938 MB rifles are not super common.

Is the stock accepted H or M?

I personally like it as is. If I’d found it I’d likely leave it.

Is the stock accepted H or M? I personally like it as is. If I’d found it I’d likely leave it.

Stock proofs are still present and believe it is E/H accepted. The stamp markings, over the course of 80 years, have been rising due to the wood continually expanding & contracting over that time. The Army acceptance is there, reasonably clear, but very weak (as is the E/WaA26).

Military Rifle Journal
Back