Third Party Press

93 Mauser vs Sweedish small ring Mauser (96?)

shortfal

Am wondering if the bolt and or trigger parts are interchangeable between 93 Mauser and the Sweedish small ring rifles.
I see Sarco advertising complete Sweedish bolts and thinking they could be good for spares for my 8 Kurz barreled 93 build.
TIA Pete

An interesting thought. Just did a quick comparison. Could not directly interchange bolts on examples of the M93 and M96. Swedish 96 bolt has a guide rib like the 98. Spanish 93 has no rib. A quick caliper check shows a marginal difference in bolt body diameter. Also seems to be a difference in the extractor and locking lug widths. Bolt face on my M93 has a flat base to aid in positive engagement of the cartridge during loading. (Note some M93's also have a round bolt face.) M96 has a round bolt face. Most everything else on my two examples looks similar. Given skills and equipment I guess an M96 bolt could be made to fit an M93 receiver by removing the bolt guide and machining other surfaces as needed. Steel used in the Swedish guns is very hard and difficult to machine. Locking lug engagement and head space would be the critical factors. Trigger parts seem to be interchangeable but did not try a swap.

Caveat: I make no recommendations about the safety of such a conversion. Proceed at your own risk.

93/96

Thanks for that detailed reply. Thought the 96 bolt could be good to have as it is advertised as mostly NOS parts. The bolt sleeve to bolt fit in mine is somewhat sloppy due to thread wear. I'd bet finding a unused 93 bolt assy. would be near impossible.
Pete

M93 Spanish parts are pretty common. I often see them in parts boxes at local shows.

I compared the M93 and M96 bolts. The layout of the two bolts are virtually identical and the two samples are dimensionally very similar.

I then attempted to swap the two striker assemblies. The M93 striker fit and functioned perfectly in the Swedish M96 bolt. The M96 striker assembly could not be fully screwed into the M93 bolt. Appears to be a minor interference not allowing the last 1/8 turn of rotation. Probably due to tolerance differences. Spanish guns have notoriously loose tolerances and part dimensions vary a lot. The M96 was Oberndorf-made under very high quality control standards. I am certain that minor fitting adjustments can be made to adjust the M96 parts to work in an M93 bolt. M96 shroud threads may fit more tightly in the M93 bolt. However, each particular set of parts will likely have unique issues.

The M96 internal bolt parts may make a good spares alternative if you can't locate M93 parts.

93/96 Mauser interchange

M93 Spanish parts are pretty common. I often see them in parts boxes at local shows.

I compared the M93 and M96 bolts. The layout of the two bolts are virtually identical and the two samples are dimensionally very similar.

I then attempted to swap the two striker assemblies. The M93 striker fit and functioned perfectly in the Swedish M96 bolt. The M96 striker assembly could not be fully screwed into the M93 bolt. Appears to be a minor interference not allowing the last 1/8 turn of rotation. Probably due to tolerance differences. Spanish guns have notoriously loose tolerances and part dimensions vary a lot. The M96 was Oberndorf-made under very high quality control standards. I am certain that minor fitting adjustments can be made to adjust the M96 parts to work in an M93 bolt. M96 shroud threads may fit more tightly in the M93 bolt. However, each particular set of parts will likely have unique issues.

The M96 internal bolt parts may make a good spares alternative if you can't locate M93 parts.
Thanks again. My 93 bolt sleeve is somewhat sloppy in the bolt such that when pulling the trigger it moves down a bit before firing. Having cut the cocking surface on the bolt as needed for the Dayton Transter cock on opening kit I lost some small amount of support for the sleeve.
If needed a bit of lapping with fine compound would get that last eighth of a turn cleaned up. Probably worth it to try one of those Sweeds.
Pete

Military Rifle Journal
Back