Third Party Press

SS Contract?

Here is the rear sight. When I bought it, it had a scout scope mount on it, and the sight was tied to the receiver.

ea4d52db0c008f0aa6d5c4e75a5ca5f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the rear sight. When I bought it, it had a scout scope mount on it, and the sight was tied to the receiver.

ea4d52db0c008f0aa6d5c4e75a5ca5f8.jpg

Not sure why the potential buyer said there wasn't a rear sight. I also could have also sworn there was a picture without a rear sight, but I honestly don't remember and I left all the Facebook groups. Couldn't deal with it anymore. That's a plus having the rear sight. Also good that you didn't destroy it. Also good that you joined the forum where the real knowledgeable collectors are.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yes, I got VERY lucky in that regard.
Also, if anyone would like more pictures of a specific area I'll be happy to oblige.

Not sure why the potential buyer said there wasn't a rear sight. I also could have also sworn there was a picture without a rear sight, but I honestly don't remember and I left all the Facebook groups. Couldn't deal with it anymore. That's a plus having the rear sight. Also good that you didn't destroy it. Also good that you joined the forum where the real knowledgeable collectors are.

That would be because the picture with it without the rear sight was right after I took off the scout mount and right before I found out what it was. That's when I took most of those pictures.

That would be because the picture with it without the rear sight was right after I took off the scout mount and right before I found out what it was. That's when I took most of those pictures.

Now that makes sense.

Yes, I got VERY lucky in that regard.
Also, if anyone would like more pictures of a specific area I'll be happy to oblige.

Thank you for clearing this all up! As far as additional pictures go, the next time you have the rifle out of the stock I would be very interested to see ANY other markings on surfaces of the receiver, like on the bottom flat or on the sides below the wood line. Specifically I’m interested in the “circle V7” and “circle A5” markings. You have at least one of each, and sometimes they are also other odd places, and often partial strikes like the V7 you show. Thank you!!

c809f30d4b2daa2a31c40ced1b704e4a.jpg

This is the only other marking that I've found.

Excellent! That is one of the other locations that I have noted them to appear, I’m glad you found that one!! Thank you! If you spot any more anywhere please show us. :)

I've went all over the receiver a while back, and that's about all I've found

99ecfa9afc58866c75df8fab13d0be71.jpg

5362a0deaacd22ac86ee5de4b9a855f7.jpg

Bolt:
6a653d2ed53d2058cde98aa619283f91.jpg

I always thought these were really odd, makes no sense to me. Also on the bolt, where the handle meets the body.
cf5e44c221ba91576e56eedd7aa12567.jpg

This is the only external "mark" I've found on the stock, what looks like a "C" or an "E" stamped on the bottom side aft of the wrist:
f9c292b1de9961dc5c3131c670114afd.jpg

Thank you! I have seen senior collectors refer to all these weird Steyr markings as “Lucky Charms” after all the weird shapes in the cereal, I think it’s appropriate! The underside of your bolt root has a great collection of them!! We will likely never know what they signify, but it’s interesting to try to catalog them and look for patterns. Personally I think you have a killer rifle there, thanks for sharing.

..these weird Steyr markings as “Lucky Charms” after all the weird shapes in the cereal, I think it’s appropriate

It's funny but not a bad grab. I don't suppose anyone will ever know what they all meant. Some type of process stamps most likely. Thinking that's probably a C on the keel. Hard to tell in the photo.

Military Rifle Journal
Back