Third Party Press

SS Contract?

capt14k

#doomandgloom
Clearly I have a lot to learn still so I present to the experts here pics of a rifle I saw being discussed elsewhere. There it was 50/50 real vs fake, but no one presented a valid argument for the their assessment so it meant nothing IMO. I look forward to hearing what the real experts here have to say. Even if part of it is real, I assume very little is original, but that is just my gut feeling .

db910e8fa85099a63fb13dd1c103b477.jpg
51cc72444b75e5c3ca110ea1dc34a6f9.jpg
711afb2e4a8520b4aa93c476b13eb816.jpg
2fbdc500b8e2a1bf08f2fe804b665967.jpg
109fea44296612069cc161e044803b54.jpg
f07a7071c3f23237da7317a180fbdbab.jpg
f616a1dbb7c7cc6a8f5a64bf0aaa213a.jpg
7d2cfdc27ff0b47ec1c0a509f3db0cdc.jpg
59e891127008428016f3e2735272be5a.jpg
d5733157b0fcfd3df35400ecaa094893.jpg
0e569db0db6599bb06dc6e20e7b58172.jpg
ddf6525c40e982202d300789b1954ff5.jpg
11c15ad8c995f60cc6935c3c7258cd69.jpg
87e3e272e5acfa1b6fa94c15b05dc5cc.jpg
894701cfbb8bafa1a3e12a0e2557cd66.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

There maybe other details some can work with like the code script size or something but without the serial or bolt numbering it will be hard to determine. The rune barrel looks real but doesn’t necessarily make this an SS rifle in any way shape or form, could be a left over from ss production, I had one on a bnz45 once. The V7 does show up on a lot of ss contracts but also on a lot of standard army rifles as well. Looks like someone may have had grandiose ideas of making it a rune rifle and then put the screw driver and hammer down and just started drinking beer instead when they realized it wasn’t working out.

There maybe other details some can work with like the code script size or something but without the serial or bolt numbering it will be hard to determine. The rune barrel looks real but doesn’t necessarily make this an SS rifle in any way shape or form, could be a left over from ss production, I had one on a bnz45 once. The V7 does show up on a lot of ss contracts but also on a lot of standard army rifles as well.
What are all those stampings on the bolt?

People call them Steyroglyphs haha more correctly they are out of radom. Random in house inspections, the receiver sides of bnz’s have them below the wood line, lots of weird stuff.

No suffix, hand stamped, large font, V7 receiver, rune Barrel = SS contract. I have only seen the V7 on bnz45’s that were army I should have said, looks like they are standard fair on SS contracts.

No suffix, hand stamped, large font, V7 receiver, rune Barrel = SS contract. I have only seen the V7 on bnz45’s that were army I should have said, looks like they are standard fair on SS contracts.

Receiver is not numbered either. Would both receiver and bolt be unumbered yet the other parts are numbered? There is no Eagle H stamping. I just aquired that knowledge in a quick Google search so it may not apply to this one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Very late ss contract, stock should have eagle H but since it’s been cleaned it may have been sanded a bit or weak. Bolt could be original with no number, pretty sure it’s been posted here before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very late ss contract, stock should have eagle H but since it’s been cleaned it may have been sanded a bit or weak. Bolt could be original with no number, pretty sure it’s been posted here before.

That is exactly what I have been doing. Looking through trying to find if it was posted before.

So it does seem to be correct but stock refinished? With the Germany import/export mark on the bolt and the sanded stock would $2,500 be out of line? What are those marks on the top of the receiver? I didn't see those on others I found on the site.

I didn’t know ss contracts show up with unumbered bolts, that would be interesting to see. I don’t follow these though so maybe it’s semi common? In my opinion that cleaned stock hurts a lot, I wouldn’t personally pay that for any 98k with a cleaned stock, unless maybe it was a bsw36.

I didn’t know ss contracts show up with unumbered bolts, that would be interesting to see. I don’t follow these though so maybe it’s semi common? In my opinion that cleaned stock hurts a lot, I wouldn’t personally pay that for any 98k with a cleaned stock, unless maybe it was a bsw36.

After reading through the serial survey thread neither would I. I didn't realize there were so many made and out there.

There is no picture showing the top of the bolt handle where the serial should be located. Can you post one?

Some SS rifles got reworked at SSZZA4 depot, they sometimes have had various parts serialized with an electropencil. I am not expert enough to tell if this can also be found on rifles which appear to not have the SSZZA marking, but wanted to have it mentioned.

I've seen the EP serial even on filed down bolt handles hardly visible. You might try to look at the bolt handle from various angles with strong light, you might be able to find a faint EP serial there.

Can you get pictures of the rest of the markings on the bolt, especially the top of the handle root where it joins the bolt body? All the rest of the parts look good to me, the bolt is the big question mark.

I do not know what the markings are that you asked about, the ones on top of the receiver between the “bnz” and the “44”. It is possible that it isn’t a deliberate stamp.

I think so far it’s a very interesting looking rifle, but I think that price is too high, especially with the question of the bolt being right or not still unanswered. The refinished stock would hurt value sure but it’s not a deal-killer!

Way too expensive for that rifle. Unnumbered bolts show up randomly on these, but personally it devalues the gun to bolt mismatch price range. The SS contract is pretty common, they made a lot of them. High condition examples are still not impossible to get but can draw the $2500 price, not a gun with issues like you posted. Import marks, heavily cleaned stock, and odd incidental damage on the receiver all subtract from the value substantially in my opinion.

Can you get pictures of the rest of the markings on the bolt, especially the top of the handle root where it joins the bolt body? All the rest of the parts look good to me, the bolt is the big question mark.

I do not know what the markings are that you asked about, the ones on top of the receiver between the “bnz” and the “44”. It is possible that it isn’t a deliberate stamp.

I think so far it’s a very interesting looking rifle, but I think that price is too high, especially with the question of the bolt being right or not still unanswered. The refinished stock would hurt value sure but it’s not a deal-killer!

The markings in the picture above the GERMANY picture.

Way too expensive for that rifle. Unnumbered bolts show up randomly on these, but personally it devalues the gun to bolt mismatch price range. The SS contract is pretty common, they made a lot of them. High condition examples are still not impossible to get but can draw the $2500 price, not a gun with issues like you posted. Import marks, heavily cleaned stock, and odd incidental damage on the receiver all subtract from the value substantially in my opinion.

Thank you. Could those markings on the top of the receiver possibly be Mitchell's Mausers trying to hide a Russian X. Could the stock being refinished and not having an Eagle H also be because it was replaced by Mitchell's. Lastly the finish on the metal looks too good compared to the other examples on found on the forum. Could that have also been done by Mitchell's?

There is no way this rifle is from Mitchell’s Mausers, none of what’s mentioned is attributable to them in this case.

The bolt could easily be a later replacement hence the bolt mismatch price suggestion.

The markings in the picture above the GERMANY picture.

No that appears to be the underside of the bolt handle root, I was curious to see what the top of the same part looks like. Also any other markings on bolt parts if you can.

Military Rifle Journal
Back