Third Party Press

SS Contract?

There is no way this rifle is from Mitchell’s Mausers, none of what’s mentioned is attributable to them in this case.

The bolt could easily be a later replacement hence the bolt mismatch price suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. Have you seen that marking on the receiver before?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No that appears to be the underside of the bolt handle root, I was curious to see what the top of the same part looks like. Also any other markings on bolt parts if you can.

I meant those were the strange marks I was asking about. Flynaked had answered the question. I will try and get pics of all sides of the bolt but I was told there are no other markings on the bolt. Also no other markings on the stock. Not even a faint Eagle H. Was there an Eagle H on the stock when this rifle was first posted?

Very late ss contract, stock should have eagle H but since it’s been cleaned it may have been sanded a bit or weak. Bolt could be original with no number, pretty sure it’s been posted here before.

This marking (“circle A5 or 6”) is also present, I know we have brought it up before on here in concert with SDP markings like the “circle V7”
2ddfd98f0999ccce4637629f81b222f6.png

There is no way this rifle is from Mitchell’s Mausers, none of what’s mentioned is attributable to them in this case.

The bolt could easily be a later replacement hence the bolt mismatch price suggestion.

Agreed, this is way too nice to have gone through Feldmarschall Mitchell’s K98 ruination depot. It does appear to be a legit late SS contract bolt-mismatch rifle. Still, that price is way too high. It’s not a bad gun, but that’s too much in my opinion too.

Agreed, this is way too nice to have gone through Feldmarschall Mitchell’s K98 ruination depot. It does appear to be a legit late SS contract bolt-mismatch rifle. Still, that price is way too high. It’s not a bad gun, but that’s too much in my opinion too.

Have you ever seen the markings on the top of the receiver before?

I have not, however that is not a place that SDP usually stamped any of their “Lucky Charms” that I have ever seen. I mean it looks like it COULD be a deliberate marking of some kind but it also may not be. SDP did use a lot of very odd, unknown markings on the underside of receivers but SS contract guns often don’t have as many, or ANY of those markings.

I would hardly call the damage on top of the receiver a marking, it appears to be chisel marks hammered into the receiver. Could be during the time is was built, but it's detracting and smacks as though someone was trying to hammer a rune into the top of the receiver. I'm not saying that is what it is, just gives that impression. Again, could be just incidental marks in the part from when it was made. I don't have any other photos of this rifle that I can find, but stock would have had and Eagle H on it at one time, sometimes they are very lightly struck and if the stock gets cleaned heavily it can disappear I imagine. It does appear to be the original matching stock, who knows maybe it never got the Eagle H being late in the SS contract run (maybe it was rejected), but the receiver got the e/623 which usually indicates the stock will have the Eagle H.

That bolt root does look like a legit unumbered body. Also the shroud looks typical of the machining/ finish work on Radom parts. The cocking piece/safety are a little harder to call as the safety is of the earlier milling pattern, but given the rest I’d say they are probably legit and no reason it couldn’t be legit. I’ve seen bnz45’s with earlier mill pattern safeties used. Let’s hear some opinions from those who study steyr/ss contract guns though.

Seller is stuck on $2,500 maybe at auction with the right two buyers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That bolt root does look like a legit unumbered body. Also the shroud looks typical of the machining/ finish work on Radom parts. The cocking piece/safety are a little harder to call as the safety is of the earlier milling pattern, but given the rest I’d say they are probably legit and no reason it couldn’t be legit. I’ve seen bnz45’s with earlier mill pattern safeties used. Let’s hear some opinions from those who study steyr/ss contract guns though.

I agree, I haven’t seen anything worrisome on this whole rifle so far, I’m no major in SS contract like Farb or Loewe but this gun looks good to me. The marks on the top of the receiver don’t make me too nervous, I can’t attribute them to SDP and it could be bubba but it also could be honest original “damage” as thinks weren’t going too well at SDP in 44! I would like to see all of the gun completely disassembled especially the bolt but on what we have seen so far I think it’s good. STILL too high a price though, it’s hard for people to realize that these aren’t rare so that comes into play with pricing. But overall I like it.

..so far I think it’s good. STILL too high a price though

I think you and Clay are right on. Nothing makes me think this isn't as it left the factory. The odd marks detract as I think Mike? pointed out. Way too high IMHO.

Thank you all for your opinions and sharing your knowledge. This thread has reaffirmed that I still have a lot to learn about K98k rifles and that I know nothing about SS rifles. For now I will continue to try and learn about the K98k, and continue collecting South American Mausers.

Thank you all for your opinions and sharing your knowledge. This thread has reaffirmed that I still have a lot to learn about K98k rifles and that I know nothing about SS rifles. For now I will continue to try and learn about the K98k, and continue collecting South American Mausers.

Hey don’t feel bad or anything, one of the appealing aspects of the entire K98 story is that there is SO MUCH to it! I think people tend to gravitate to certain types or manufacturers, that’s pretty normal in any interest or hobby this complicated. And a lot of things are still unknowns! You could likely teach me a thing or two, or three, about South American Mausers!! It was a fun rifle to see and analyze here even if you don’t buy it. It’s one more rifle that adds to the knowledge base for guys like me that are interested in learning more about SDP and their K98s. Thanks for sharing it and taking the time to get all the photos. If it was a realistic price I bet several guys here would have been interested in it, but you’re right to walk away at that price.

Me too. I feel that I also have a lot to learn and what a great place this is to do so.

Absolutely. The bible and picture reference here are great tools but what makes this place really tick is seeing well photographed detailed examples and listening to the considered debate amongst the experts. Grab a popcorn. :laugh:

Want a bunch of rah rah, probably better taking it to FB. But if you want an honest evaluation of what you have this is the place. Not everyone is ready for that however.

Absolutely. The bible and picture reference here are great tools but what makes this place really tick is seeing well photographed detailed examples and listening to the considered debate amongst the experts. Grab a popcorn. [emoji23]

Want a bunch of rah rah, probably better taking it to FB. But if you want an honest evaluation of what you have this is the place. Not everyone is ready for that however.
You are right about that. Everyone on Facebook thinks they got a steal on a perfect rifle. They only buy if they think it is a price mistake. Then they get really bent out of shape when they find out their rifle has been humped or it isn't really matching it's just most parts were replaced with unumbered parts (happens a lot with French MAS rifles).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

No.

Yes there is.
This is my rifle, and there's been a lot of discussion about it on Facebook. I've been getting anywhere from "it's totally fake" to "yeah, is the real deal"

A little back story on this rifle, I bought this at a local gun shop here in Wichita, Kansas a couple of years ago for $300. The seller told me that it was a Yugo Mauser. I bought it with the intention of building a .404 Jeffery safari rifle until I found out what it was, and after I found out what it was, (or what it could be) that idea went out the window and it went in the safe.
I'm not a German Mauser collector at all, I collect Swiss and Swedish rifles. Honestly, with all the controversy about it, I just want to trade the damn thing off for a Ljungman.

Military Rifle Journal
Back