Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help confirming k98 identification

Quote Originally Posted by heavy10 View Post
    Value is not high as its been sporterized. A well known collector here 'mowzerluvr' usually has stocks and other parts available to turn it back into its military form, but usually one does not realize much higher value as a restoration.

It's pretty much worth the value of its constituent parts, though it does have scholarly value as to the serial data and its rework status.
    I'm quite curious what the community here would value this rifle at. I do plan to return it to it's original condition. It's my first "collector-ish" rifle. I feel I got it at a good price but I'm a rookie in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by carguy4471 View Post
    How does having it re-barreled effect it's overall desirability in the market? Is it good, bad, or indifferent??
    If in original form and condition after it being reworked, yes, it would increase its value. As it sits, not really, beyond the data it provides to collectors who track such information.

It is a proper, period correct rebarrel IMO.

A 'sportered' rifle as you have usually runs anywhere from 200 to maybe 400. If you're in it for less, that's a plus. My 2 cents as to your questions of value.
    In thanks for you all in the forums, I offer this, albeit small:
    If anyone has any questions regarding garage doors and openers, feel free to ask. Been working on them for 25 years.

Keeper of the Def's Head M1903A3's Avatar

I would agree with the above valuation, 400 bucks at the top end. Restoring this gun with a “correct” stock is doable, but you will not get the money back out of it IF you decide to sell it!

It’s worth mentioning that “sporterizing” K98 rifles brought back from WWII is indeed one of the possible endpoints FOR K98s, and in the case where the correct, matching, original stock is the one that got modified and is still on the rifle, you can’t get more “correct” by removing a modified yet matching original stock, if that makes sense. Sporterized guns are a great way to get into K98s at a good price though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really appreciate the input. This forum is full of so much fantastic information and helpful folks, I'm amazed and enthralled!!

I'm into the rifle for $170.

Unfortunately the stock that's on it is not original, and has also had a massive split glued back together. It's rough. I mostly want to return it to original configuration to keep as a wall hanger/shooter. I'm not really going for resale value but given the above, if I can get a stock and hardware for $150 or so I may not be in bad shape investment vs resale. Bottom line really, I've always wanted a war era rifle in my safe. Something with a little history. This rifle seemed like a good starting point. It's no collectors piece but it sure is fun to learn about the history of all the markings, variations, timelines, etc.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be the first, this historic stuff is way too fascinating!!

Keeper of the Def's Head M1903A3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carguy4471 View Post
    I really appreciate the input. This forum is full of so much fantastic information and helpful folks, I'm amazed and enthralled!!

I'm into the rifle for $170.

Unfortunately the stock that's on it is not original, and has also had a massive split glued back together. It's rough. I mostly want to return it to original configuration to keep as a wall hanger/shooter. I'm not really going for resale value but given the above, if I can get a stock and hardware for $150 or so I may not be in bad shape investment vs resale. Bottom line really, I've always wanted a war era rifle in my safe. Something with a little history. This rifle seemed like a good starting point. It's no collectors piece but it sure is fun to learn about the history of all the markings, variations, timelines, etc.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be the first, this historic stuff is way too fascinating!!
    Outstanding! You’re way ahead on value then, good buy! You have a great start, with that price you can definitely afford to find a decent non-sporterized stock to put it in. Keep an eye on the trader section here. Your best values and best correct parts can be found there. Congrats on that deal, you scored mightily there for sure! You’re so right, it’s fascinating and you have a nice gun to examine and find markings on and evaluate, it’s a lot of fun. Congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by M1903A3 View Post
    Outstanding! You’re way ahead on value then, good buy! You have a great start, with that price you can definitely afford to find a decent non-sporterized stock to put it in. Keep an eye on the trader section here. Your best values and best correct parts can be found there. Congrats on that deal, you scored mightily there for sure! You’re so right, it’s fascinating and you have a nice gun to examine and find markings on and evaluate, it’s a lot of fun. Congrats!!

Thanks!! I really appreciate the kinds words and encouragement!!

There is a lot of satisfaction to be had by bringing it back to its former glory. As a rework you could actually use any 98k stock you find as many reworks were reassembled from salvaged guns. Parts were renumbered at these depots but even mismatched parts will make a nice example. Nice price too!

Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Have fun putting it back together! Here is an ironically similar one I found, a 41 Oberndorf that went through the same depot.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....-kind-of-weird

It is wonderful to have new historians enter collecting. As Farb said, it is satisfying to return one to its former glory, or as close as we can come. It often is a labor of love and will put one in a bit of a financial hole but do it and enjoy it IMO. You will learn even more. Read here and buy the books. The amount to learn is considerable.