Third Party Press
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help confirming k98 identification

AND..... I found a complete stock with bands, german marked, for $150 shipped. Now were cookin'!!

So this isn't the perfect collectors piece, but I'm into it for $320. I have a shootable (this was important going into the project) piece with a little history. I really just wanted a war era, shootable rifle. That's all I was hoping for going into it.

I found the stock from a member at gunboards and I must say that folks on all of these forums have been great. I can't thank everyone enough for the knowledge they've shared!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by carguy4471 View Post
    AND..... I found a complete stock with bands, german marked, for $150 shipped. Now were cookin'!!

So this isn't the perfect collectors piece, but I'm into it for $320. I have a shootable (this was important going into the project) piece with a little history. I really just wanted a war era, shootable rifle. That's all I was hoping for going into it.

I found the stock from a member at gunboards and I must say that folks on all of these forums have been great. I can't thank everyone enough for the knowledge they've shared!!

Let us know how it shoots. You're well within the positive side, money wise. Russian captures sell for way more $ and are a lot less interesting.

Feel free to share any more images of the barrel code, 0,2 marking, etc. or anything else 'under the hood'.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy10 View Post

Let us know how it shoots. You're well within the positive side, money wise. Russian captures sell for way more $ and are a lot less interesting.

Feel free to share any more images of the barrel code, 0,2 marking, etc. or anything else 'under the hood'.
    When I get the stock in the mail I'll and do the tear down I'll bust out the DSLR and get photos of every mark, stamp, nick, and scratch on this sucker. Gotta have all the records in order. I'll be sure to post up the full lot for ya!!

Keeper of the Def's Head M1903A3's Avatar

Wow! You are WAY ahead on value now for sure. Sometimes things just fall together but in this case you’ve done REALLY well value wise! I will be looking forward to your analysis of how it shoots as well as the teardown pics. Congrats again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

..this isn't the perfect collectors piece, but I'm into it for $320.
    This used to be a very normal outcome before stock prices really shot up. Seems you had a bit of luck and some good fortune but as others said you're WAY ahead IMO compared to just buying something. If it does shoot well all the better. Looking forward to future reports but it's nice to see another returned to standard issued condition.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

I threw some additional photos up on another thread:

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...ave-I-got-here

I hope posting the link is ok, if not please delete.

Those new pics are good. Excellent quality on zoom. I made some comment on the barrel I think is correct. We'll find out. I have some thoughts about the stock but I can say that's a 'unit mark' on the takedown disc. Maybe post that zoom on the Imperial forum here? I'm sure one of those guys can tell you exactly.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    Those new pics are good. Excellent quality on zoom. I made some comment on the barrel I think is correct. We'll find out. I have some thoughts about the stock but I can say that's a 'unit mark' on the takedown disc. Maybe post that zoom on the Imperial forum here? I'm sure one of those guys can tell you exactly.
    I really appreciate the info!! I'm having a blast learning all this good stuff!!

I'm having a blast learning all this good stuff!!
    It'll suck you in. Lot's of history and details you don't find just anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    ..Here is an ironically similar one I found, a 41 Oberndorf that went through the same depot.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....-kind-of-weird
    That is interesting. Definitely from the same location based on several factors. Did you ever get the BC off the '41? I'd love to know if you can get it.