Third Party Press

Help confirming k98 identification

carguy4471

I believe I have an early 1942 obendorf 42. Attached are photos.

Serials match except bolt. I believe the stock is from earlier than the rifle as it's marked with the bird that has wings down and not out. Stock has been cut down.

The waffen-thingies seem to point toward early 1942 according to the docs I have found but I'm certain there is more knowledge here. Please let me know what ya think!

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_1213.jpg
    IMG_1213.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1214.jpg
    IMG_1214.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1215.jpg
    IMG_1215.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1216.jpg
    IMG_1216.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1217.jpg
    IMG_1217.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_1218.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1223.jpg
    IMG_1223.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1227.jpg
    IMG_1227.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 57
Not a 42 code. Mauser Oberndorf switched to byf code in 1941. Yours is a c block serial. Can't recall right off what total production was in 1942.
Any further pictures of the stock?

Not a 42 code. Mauser Oberndorf switched to byf code in 1941. Yours is a c block serial. Can't recall right off what total production was in 1942.
Any further pictures of the stock?

Unfortunately I didn't grab a close up of the waffenamt on the stock. The wings on the bird clearly point downward though, and it's stamped next to the bolt takedown hole on the right hand side. It has no sling slot and no filler that I can see. Flat but plate and sling mount on the bottom. It's not only been cut down but also split and glued back together with what appears to be a piece of a stack that doesn't match up to the finger grooves on the left hand side.

Here is a photo of the other side.

Attachments

• IMG_1228.jpg
    IMG_1228.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 29
Looks to be a rebarrel, with maybe Magdeburg firing proof? Stock is probably a cut down Gew98 stock.

This is great information. This is my first collector-ish rifle. I have always been a fan of war era relics and am thrilled to finally own one.

Here's the big questions... what's this little thing worth as it sits??
And would finding an appropriate stock and returning it to original condition with original parts (obviously not numbers matching parts) increase it's value and if so, how much??

If anyone has some thoughts I'll share what I paid for this little gem. In my un-educated opinion I believe I got it at a bargain!!

How does one tell if it's a rebarrel if the serial matches up??

Quite easy when comparing images 5 and 6. Different serial number fonts, font of the 'C' suffix, differing firing proof eagles between the barrel and receiver.. The barrel having WaA623 (Steyr) inspection markings on it is another clue, Oberndorf almost always used house-made barrels.

If you take it apart, you'll likely find an '0,2' marking on the barrel shoulder.

Quite easy when comparing images 5 and 6. Different serial number fonts, font of the 'C' suffix, differing firing proof eagles between the barrel and receiver.. The barrel having WaA623 (Steyr) inspection markings on it is another clue, Oberndorf almost always used house-made barrels.

If you take it apart, you'll likely find an '0,2' marking on the barrel shoulder.

How does having it re-barreled effect it's overall desirability in the market? Is it good, bad, or indifferent??

This is great information. This is my first collector-ish rifle. I have always been a fan of war era relics and am thrilled to finally own one.

Here's the big questions... what's this little thing worth as it sits??
And would finding an appropriate stock and returning it to original condition with original parts (obviously not numbers matching parts) increase it's value and if so, how much??

If anyone has some thoughts I'll share what I paid for this little gem. In my un-educated opinion I believe I got it at a bargain!!

Value is not high as its been sporterized. A well known collector here 'mowzerluvr' usually has stocks and other parts available to turn it back into its military form, but usually one does not realize much higher value as a restoration.

It's pretty much worth the value of its constituent parts, though it does have scholarly value as to the serial data and its rework status.

Value is not high as its been sporterized. A well known collector here 'mowzerluvr' usually has stocks and other parts available to turn it back into its military form, but usually one does not realize much higher value as a restoration.

It's pretty much worth the value of its constituent parts, though it does have scholarly value as to the serial data and its rework status.

I'm quite curious what the community here would value this rifle at. I do plan to return it to it's original condition. It's my first "collector-ish" rifle. I feel I got it at a good price but I'm a rookie in this world.

How does having it re-barreled effect it's overall desirability in the market? Is it good, bad, or indifferent??

If in original form and condition after it being reworked, yes, it would increase its value. As it sits, not really, beyond the data it provides to collectors who track such information.

It is a proper, period correct rebarrel IMO.

A 'sportered' rifle as you have usually runs anywhere from 200 to maybe 400. If you're in it for less, that's a plus. My 2 cents as to your questions of value.

I would agree with the above valuation, 400 bucks at the top end. Restoring this gun with a “correct” stock is doable, but you will not get the money back out of it IF you decide to sell it!

It’s worth mentioning that “sporterizing” K98 rifles brought back from WWII is indeed one of the possible endpoints FOR K98s, and in the case where the correct, matching, original stock is the one that got modified and is still on the rifle, you can’t get more “correct” by removing a modified yet matching original stock, if that makes sense. Sporterized guns are a great way to get into K98s at a good price though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really appreciate the input. This forum is full of so much fantastic information and helpful folks, I'm amazed and enthralled!!

I'm into the rifle for $170.

Unfortunately the stock that's on it is not original, and has also had a massive split glued back together. It's rough. I mostly want to return it to original configuration to keep as a wall hanger/shooter. I'm not really going for resale value but given the above, if I can get a stock and hardware for $150 or so I may not be in bad shape investment vs resale. Bottom line really, I've always wanted a war era rifle in my safe. Something with a little history. This rifle seemed like a good starting point. It's no collectors piece but it sure is fun to learn about the history of all the markings, variations, timelines, etc.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be the first, this historic stuff is way too fascinating!!

I really appreciate the input. This forum is full of so much fantastic information and helpful folks, I'm amazed and enthralled!!

I'm into the rifle for $170.

Unfortunately the stock that's on it is not original, and has also had a massive split glued back together. It's rough. I mostly want to return it to original configuration to keep as a wall hanger/shooter. I'm not really going for resale value but given the above, if I can get a stock and hardware for $150 or so I may not be in bad shape investment vs resale. Bottom line really, I've always wanted a war era rifle in my safe. Something with a little history. This rifle seemed like a good starting point. It's no collectors piece but it sure is fun to learn about the history of all the markings, variations, timelines, etc.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be the first, this historic stuff is way too fascinating!!

Outstanding! You’re way ahead on value then, good buy! You have a great start, with that price you can definitely afford to find a decent non-sporterized stock to put it in. Keep an eye on the trader section here. Your best values and best correct parts can be found there. Congrats on that deal, you scored mightily there for sure! You’re so right, it’s fascinating and you have a nice gun to examine and find markings on and evaluate, it’s a lot of fun. Congrats!!

Outstanding! You’re way ahead on value then, good buy! You have a great start, with that price you can definitely afford to find a decent non-sporterized stock to put it in. Keep an eye on the trader section here. Your best values and best correct parts can be found there. Congrats on that deal, you scored mightily there for sure! You’re so right, it’s fascinating and you have a nice gun to examine and find markings on and evaluate, it’s a lot of fun. Congrats!!

Thanks!! I really appreciate the kinds words and encouragement!!

There is a lot of satisfaction to be had by bringing it back to its former glory. As a rework you could actually use any 98k stock you find as many reworks were reassembled from salvaged guns. Parts were renumbered at these depots but even mismatched parts will make a nice example. Nice price too!

It is wonderful to have new historians enter collecting. As Farb said, it is satisfying to return one to its former glory, or as close as we can come. It often is a labor of love and will put one in a bit of a financial hole but do it and enjoy it IMO. You will learn even more. Read here and buy the books. The amount to learn is considerable.

Military Rifle Journal
Back