Third Party Press

Update on Commonwealth Capture 98ks

bruce98k

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2
Staff member
While reviewing some old emails, I recovered this note from Dave Heinmuller regarding importation of said rifles.

In 1964 INTERARMS/INTERARMCO imported 200 98k`s from Portuguese Goa, to its warehouses in Alexandria, VA. You may have heard of the incredable amount of military surplus everything that they had in the retai store on the Alexandria waterfront. These 200 98k`s were dated from K (there were 3) date, G date to 1941. None of the rifles were dated later than 1941, and as I remember all were completely matched. The big surprise is that they are British marked with an * on the left receiver side next to the serial #, and usually a AA over the broad arrow stamped into the right side buttstock near the German proofs. Some have a British steel disc inletted into the right side buttstock also in the vicinity of the German proofs. The discs are marked MP on the top and a 3 digit # on the bottom of the disc. The stocks may also have white painted letters R.F. S.R I. on the right side buttstock. So far these markings are unknown to me. I have 3 such rifles, and have owned others: "243 1938", "660 1939", and "duv 40". All 3 I purchased at the Interarms retail store during the 1966-67 period. I thought this might be of interest to you. Best, Dave Heinmuller (Maryland)

I should have included this in the back section of Volume II but will endeavor to include it in the addendum.

B.

Attachments

• IN-GA.svg.png
    IN-GA.svg.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
German surrender in Africa and then processed through Alexandria Arsenal? Nice info Bruce!

I think my 147/1938 98k is likely one of these rifles. Purchased by my dad in Dec 67 at Interarms Alexandria, VA for $39.95. Came out of the rack all matching and tracks to this description in every respect. Photos and details previously reported at thread "Sauer 147/1938."

When I was younger, like in highschool, I lived only a few miles away from their retail store in Old Town Alexandria called Potomac Arms. It was next to the old torpedo factory and Interarms warehouses, in some house on the second floor. You'd go up these old wooden stairs that were about to collapse, literally, and right at top were barrels of k98s and other surplus rifles like Enfields. I can't remember how much they were, but that is when I first wanted a K98--too bad I was too young plus my Mom would have freaked. This was all around 2001-2003. If I remember correctly they closed the store a couple years later.

Attachments

• PotomacArms.jpg
    PotomacArms.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Potomac Arms.jpg
    Potomac Arms.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 104
  • HuntersLodgeAd-Jan68.jpg
    HuntersLodgeAd-Jan68.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Thanks Bruce. I have spoken with Dave about this and thought I included the information in the thread on these. It is likely that they were either captured by India from the Portugese in the GOA war, then surplussed when India standardized with the 7.62 NATO OR, a likely explanation, they were processed through either Alexandria Arsenal Depot ("AA") upon capture in North Africa by Commonwealth forces (of which India played a major role) and found their way to India, or were captured in North Africa, found their way to India, and were processed through Allhalabad Arsenal ("AA") in India, and ended up in GOA as part of the occupation by Indian troops / military police. That would have made sense as they likely captured much 7.92 / 8mm from the Portugese there. These were then surplused from GOA or India.

Last edited:
..they were processed through either Alexandria Arsenal Depot ("AA") upon capture in North Africa by Commonwealth forces (of which India played a major role) and found their way to India.

Ding ding. That's my pick. I might not be right but several things lead me to believe that's the correct answer.

Ding ding. That's my pick. I might not be right but several things lead me to believe that's the correct answer.

HM, do you have info supporting that? I'm just SWAGging from some research. Another interesting aspect of these is that the followers have the edge slightly ground so that the bolt does not hold open, ala Enfield.

my rifle

I think my 40 date with AA mark is pictured in a thread that Hambone started here.

Last edited:
It just seems to be the most solid theory IMHO. All weapons captured are early with none dated after 1941. British were still the driving force at this point in the war. British had moved their Mediterranean fleet to Alexandria in Sept. 1939. India was a part of Great Britain and historically tied until recent history. It just makes too much sense to me. Finding some concrete evidence of an 'Alexandria Arsenal' or 'Alexandria Armory' is harder. Given the size of the fleet headquartered there a substantial on shore supportinng facility would be expected, including an armory or arsenal of some significant capacity.

Is there any other markings on the rifles besides AA that denotes the Alexandria Arsenal? I'm assuming these were all imported and thus have the import mark?

Military Rifle Journal
Back