Third Party Press

Forgotten Weapons Video on 98k

I saw this earlier today, took some notes.

"Dear Lord, the Russians are coming", this smacks of huckster Gunbroker carnival barking.

Zero mention of stamped versus milled band spring, a serious oversight.

The recoil lug on the S/42G is reversed, but not noted--every German Mauser, ever, has the recoil lug in a given configuration. If it is off, it is obvious to every M98 Mauser collector. It went only one way.

He mentions the Germans "hiding serial production', when they were using a serial number system that was established long before the Kar98k (like needle rifle era). Well known to any belligerent army for the last 50-60 years.

Saying "doesn't have waffenamts" while pointing out lawful-German firing proofs is cringe worthy. There is a major difference between a WaA and a German firing proof.

One opinion of mine is that the laminate beech stock beget the cupped buttplate. Laminated wood is great within the middle, but very poor on its cut sides. Resin glues were still in their infancy at this time.

A short, unfinished note is about the narrow curved rear sling band loop, versus the later thick version.

I love Ian and all that he does for this hobby. He is a fount of knowledge and a true student--I chalk any shortcomings as 'jack of all trades'....He is a great ambassador for the 2A and collecting in general.

Hopefully this post comes off as creative criticism.

Most of his stuff is a good brief overview, C&Rsenal on YouTube is very in-depth.

I love both channels

His video wasn’t about matching original guns, it was about the transition so I can see using them. It was generally for you-tubers and not collectors imo. I thought he did well myself compared to most of the crap I see about 98k’s, and any interest he brings to 98k’s is welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His video wasn’t about matching original guns, it was about the transition so I can see using them. It was generally for you-tubers and not collectors imo. I thought he did well myself compared to most of the crap I see about 98k’s, and any interest he brings to 98k’s is welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree about the generating interest, but I did not read the descriptions of the rifles on RIA's site to see that the bolt was already outed as bad. Just glad that I still apparently still know just enough to question it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back