Third Party Press

Which mounts came first?

Dugger93

I'm looking to build an early k98 sniper clone. I'm wanting to know the first few mount variations they used. I have Googled but am not really finding anything solid.

I'm looking to build an early k98 sniper clone. I'm wanting to know the first few mount variations they used. I have Googled but am not really finding anything solid.

Pretty sure it’s objective claw mounts that would show up first followed closely by turret or maybe at the same time? But the sniper guys will know better if not. Don’t forget the Argentine 1909 snipers had turret mounts too!

Last edited:
I had heard low turret was one of the first and high tureet was late war

I don’t know the exact time frame the transition was on that but the objective claw mounts are definitely some of the most prolific in early/pre war pictures, you’ve got to figure they would show up with how common the claw systems were in Europe. Check out Matt’s website, some good info compiled there.

Early Snipers

The short side rail and objective mount came first. There were SS Short Side Rail built in SS2 depot and Short Side Rails built by Sauer on Sauer built 98K's. The Objective Mount Snipers were built on various platform rifles probably by Greifelt & Co. in Suhl. Objective Mount would be hard to duplicate with correct parts unless you got the parts machined correctly. Repro. SSR parts are all over Ebay.

Then of course you have Low Turrets before High Turrets built at Mauser and Sauer. Low Turrets generally early and High Turrets late. The BNZ Single Claw was 1943 to 1944.

The SS Double Claw 1944. The Long Side Rail and Swept Back came late in the war during 1944 to 1945.

Last edited:
Is a time frame known when the ssr variations and the low turret were introduced?

A couple close friends of mine have a Period Document that talks about the Sauer Mount and Argentine aka Low Turret Mount Sniper Rifles being fielded in the Polish & Low Country Invasions . That would be 1939 1940 Period . Best Regards .

A couple close friends of mine have a Period Document that talks about the Sauer Mount and Argentine aka Low Turret Mount Sniper Rifles being fielded in the Polish & Low Country Invasions . That would be 1939 1940 Period . Best Regards .

Hello Dave. You are correct. Mauser is where Zf.39 (1939) designation came into being for scoped Mausers. This was the original designation at Mauser for the Low Turret system. The SS Short Side Rail and Objective Mount were a little before this I think. The Sauer SSR was later. Correct?

I have this on my website. It's a rough timeline of what mounting systems, when and by who. The turret was one of the first along with the Objective mount. So if you are looking to build an early war German sniper then I would go with the Turret.

Time-line.jpg

Objective Mount would be in this early time line I did not mention it because , it would be near impossible to find Greifelt & Co. Suhl/SEM Mounts and these were SS Rifles and trying to find a set of Rings and Bases like used on Heer Objective Mount with Ajack Scoped Rifles even more of an impossibility . I have never seen Rings and Bases for either type in all my Years of collecting . Best Regards

..... Mauser is where Zf.39 (1939) designation came into being for scoped Mausers. This was the original designation at Mauser for the Low Turret system.

More or less: NO!
The ZF39 designation is only correct for Zeiss Zielvier scopes from the Reichswehr period reissued with low turret mount.
All other 4x scopes are "Gewehr Zielfernrohr handelsüblich".

edit:
...I have never seen Rings and Bases for either type in all my Years of collecting . Best Regards
You did! I have a front base for the OM Dialytan. ;-)

Last edited:
The ZF39 designation is only correct for Zeiss Zielvier scopes from the Reichswehr period reissued with low turret mount.

Thats some good info. Not really familiar with the Gewehr Zielfernrohr Handelsublich terminology. But, I’ll work on it. Thanks.

edit:

You did! I have a front base for the OM Dialytan. ;-)

Actually You are correct Wolf thats true , in fact I have a Front Base myself . In fact I should have been more specific about what I actually meant . I was speaking about a complete set of Bases including Saddle Front Base , Rear Base and Set of Rings that could be used for a Repro Build . Best Regards

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 3897_6_3c119233.jpg
    3897_6_3c119233.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 26
From the 1943 manual about sniper training.

Funny to see a "Kahles Heliavier" without sunshade and with focal adjustment plate on top in turret rings. Seeing that rifle somewhere would raise red flags for all.

Did anyone ever see a Ziel-Dialyt or a Zieljagd scope on turret mount?

Beat you again my friend.
Have a front base with saddle! :biggrin1:

But, as with my AJACK OM, it most likely only is a commercial mount. :googlie

Na Na Nah , I have an AJACK OM with Front & Rear Bases :googlie but No Saddle and mine is also most likely Commercial . :laugh:

BTW:
please note that the dial locking screw of the Zeiss Zielvier is pointing to the rear.
I've never encountered that on real SSR scopes.
They always point towards the muzzle.
e.g. http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?8563-Jaegerspende-Zielvier-with-SSR

Wolf , IMHO this is because of the way the Range Markings are applied to Dial . I had Jaegerspende-Zeiss Zielvier also and it was same as Yours . I got the Scope from You & Thomas if You recall . It is now back in Austria , in case You ever want to pay it a visit !!!!!!

Attachments

• DSC_0732.jpg
    DSC_0732.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0731.jpg
    DSC_0731.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0729.jpg
    DSC_0729.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0726.jpg
    DSC_0726.jpg