Third Party Press
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which mounts came first?

Default Which mounts came first?

I'm looking to build an early k98 sniper clone. I'm wanting to know the first few mount variations they used. I have Googled but am not really finding anything solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugger93 View Post
    I'm looking to build an early k98 sniper clone. I'm wanting to know the first few mount variations they used. I have Googled but am not really finding anything solid.
    Pretty sure it’s objective claw mounts that would show up first followed closely by turret or maybe at the same time? But the sniper guys will know better if not. Don’t forget the Argentine 1909 snipers had turret mounts too!
    Last edited by flynaked; 11-08-2018 at 04:03 PM. Reason: SpElLiNg

I had heard low turret was one of the first and high tureet was late war

I had heard low turret was one of the first and high tureet was late war
    I don’t know the exact time frame the transition was on that but the objective claw mounts are definitely some of the most prolific in early/pre war pictures, you’ve got to figure they would show up with how common the claw systems were in Europe. Check out Matt’s website, some good info compiled there.

Default Early Snipers

The short side rail and objective mount came first. There were SS Short Side Rail built in SS2 depot and Short Side Rails built by Sauer on Sauer built 98K's. The Objective Mount Snipers were built on various platform rifles probably by Greifelt & Co. in Suhl. Objective Mount would be hard to duplicate with correct parts unless you got the parts machined correctly. Repro. SSR parts are all over Ebay.

Then of course you have Low Turrets before High Turrets built at Mauser and Sauer. Low Turrets generally early and High Turrets late. The BNZ Single Claw was 1943 to 1944.

The SS Double Claw 1944. The Long Side Rail and Swept Back came late in the war during 1944 to 1945.
    Last edited by Hercules; 11-08-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Is a time frame known when the ssr variations and the low turret were introduced?

Is that a scope you have in your pocket?

Is a time frame known when the ssr variations and the low turret were introduced?
    A couple close friends of mine have a Period Document that talks about the Sauer Mount and Argentine aka Low Turret Mount Sniper Rifles being fielded in the Polish & Low Country Invasions . That would be 1939 1940 Period . Best Regards .

Thank you all for the answers. I'm probably going to go with low turret mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Roberts View Post
    A couple close friends of mine have a Period Document that talks about the Sauer Mount and Argentine aka Low Turret Mount Sniper Rifles being fielded in the Polish & Low Country Invasions . That would be 1939 1940 Period . Best Regards .
    Hello Dave. You are correct. Mauser is where Zf.39 (1939) designation came into being for scoped Mausers. This was the original designation at Mauser for the Low Turret system. The SS Short Side Rail and Objective Mount were a little before this I think. The Sauer SSR was later. Correct?

Beavis the Cornholio mdarnell19's Avatar

I have this on my website. It's a rough timeline of what mounting systems, when and by who. The turret was one of the first along with the Objective mount. So if you are looking to build an early war German sniper then I would go with the Turret.

Time-line.jpg