Third Party Press

Which mounts came first?

Funny to see a "Kahles Heliavier" without sunshade and with focal adjustment plate on top in turret rings. Seeing that rifle somewhere would raise red flags for all.

Did anyone ever see a Ziel-Dialyt or a Zieljagd scope on turret mount?

I have only ever seen one complete HT with Hensoldt 4x/Zieljagd Scope that I though had a chance of MAYBE being Period Original . Sadly I saw it to late to get Detailed Photos of it . But I was able to find a Link to the Auction . https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...auser-turret-sniper-rifle-with-hensoldt-scope .

I forgot about one other it is a LT , but sadly this one is just the Receiver with Base and Matching Scope & Rings also Trigger and Sear
Its pictured in Robert Spielauer`s Book on Pg 115 of the Last Printing .

Best Regards.

Best Regards.

Last edited:
That was the consequence of turning the elevation adjustment, but not the motive.
Based on it being a Jägerspende scope one could assume it was the donator, who turned the adjustment - for whatever reason. They then were engraved, and I assume the person who did the engraving did not care on which side the fixture screw is facing. And once it is engraved, you will not change it because then the markings will be top down, and you don't want the barrel to point at yourself while doing adjustment...

Amberg and Dave Roberts,

The OM commercial set ups that you guys have, are they the proper configuration that requires the front receiver ring saddle? If so do you happen to have a height measurement of the rings? I have been looking for a set up for some time now without any luck and was wondering if I could get an idea of the size of the rings height. It might make looking for them a bit easier. I have found proper height sets (rings/bases) for both Ajack and Zielvier with bases but they are not the correct height for use with the front receiver saddle.

Thanks in adavance,
Brian

Based on it being a Jägerspende scope one could assume it was the donator, who turned the adjustment - for whatever reason. They then were engraved, and I assume the person who did the engraving did not care on which side the fixture screw is facing. ....

And what about the P.Köhler, Ajack and Hensoldt Dienstglas scopes???

Not sure what you want to say with that? These were not Jägerspende scopes. I thought we were discussing a particular Zielvier Jägerspende scope and why the saddle is turned 180 degrees compared to what it originally was.

Not sure what you want to say with that? These were not Jägerspende scopes. I thought we were discussing a particular Zielvier Jägerspende scope and why the saddle is turned 180 degrees compared to what it originally was.

Sorry, I was talking about SSR scopes in general. Especially early vs. late versions from Army/Waffen-SS scopes.
What is the position of the locking screw for the elevation adjustment?

PS: or do you think the SSR Zielvier scope from the manual is a Jägerspende scope?

Last edited:
Brian,
I'll take the measurements for you tomorrow.
What exactly do you need?
Thanks
Wolfgang

Wolfgang,

I guess I am hoping to have an idea of the height of the "leg" of the ring. It seems that in order for the ring sets to be used with the front receiver saddle the rear "leg" has to be a certain height. The rear rings on all of the sets I have are too short to be used with the receiver saddle if I want the scope to be level. I am hoping it will help me find a complete set or at least a high enough rear ring. I am probably going a little crazy with this info, but I am desperate to build a OM clone. Thanks in advance!!!

-Brian

Brian I see you post all the time in the k98 page on facebook. Awesome collection!

Thanks, it's alright. Not like some of the rifles seen on this site though. Mine are mostly clones, there are some serious pieces of history in this community here.

Could be - why not? I mean they have a civi Kahles H/4x60 scope on turret rings .. this for sure is of civilian origin.

Well, almost all German sniper scopes are of civil/commercial origin. With only a few exceptions. ZF41, ZF4, ZFK43 ... All the other scopes are nothing but more or less modified commercial scopes.

The SSR with Zeiss scope shown in the manual looks like an early mount, and the manual says: range markings 1 - 8
Scopes from the Jägerspende usually show up with late(r) mounts and have range marking from 1 - 4

It might be for two native speakers discussing in a different language ... by "civi origin" I meant the particular pictured scope has features of the commercial variation of the scope as made and offered for purchase of civilians. It does NOT show the military variant of the scope which would lack the focal adjustment and feature an extended objective housing which is most often referred as sun shade/rain shield.

Based on this I wonder why they picture a scope with focal adjustment and without the extended housing on turret rings. Were those actual pictures or were those drawn?

... by "civi origin" I meant the particular pictured scope has features of the commercial variation of the scope as made and offered for purchase of civilians.

But that is exactly what they used in the beginning. Somewhere I have a photo showing a straight commercial AJACK 4x90 with turret mount. Have to dig it out.
BTW: the SSR with Zielvier scope from the manual photo looks like a Sauer rifle. Small takedown disc.

BTW: the SSR with Zielvier scope from the manual photo looks like a Sauer rifle. Small takedown disc.
.. and cut behind wood, so base partially covered by stock.

Could these be like sealed sample rifles which they later modified in details? That would therefore explain details like focal adjustment, etc.

Military Rifle Journal
Back