Third Party Press

S 84/98 1943

Arūnas

What do You think about this bayonet? Specially about scabbard? Was it like this in 1943? I have found such description for this bayonet: ''LUFTWAFFEN/WEHRMACHT K98 COMBAT BAYONET. (Seitengewehr 98K)Stamp 43 asw'' , Matching scabbard and serial numbers, Never been cleaned! Very hard to find ! In good condition. "

Attachments

• DSCN1631 [DVD (NTSC)]_3.jpg
    DSCN1631 [DVD (NTSC)]_3.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN1632 [DVD (NTSC)]_3.jpg
    DSCN1632 [DVD (NTSC)]_3.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 57
Matching, unsharpened, and in good condition is the way to collect them. ASW is a more common maker but it is not like they are making any more. Watch out, collecting bayonets can be addictive, it was for me.

I have doubts regarding the scabbard? Was it produced like this 1943 ?

Attachments

• DSCN1631 [DVD (NTSC)]_3.jpg
    DSCN1631 [DVD (NTSC)]_3.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 34
Arūnas;252057 said:
I have doubts regarding the scabbard? Was it produced like this 1943 ?

Good eye, I missed it. My example does not have the stripes on the frog hook. Mine is from the d block. I hope one of the other bayonet regulars chime in.

Code maker/date, numbers & letter suffix on scabbard look OK to me. What about the WaA on the scabbard finial ball...can you make it out. Ought to be WaA519. Lastly, it is entirely possible a earlier component (frog-stud) could have been found at the bottom of a parts bin, lying on the production room floor under something, etc. and put to use. Such scenarios are not uncommon...particularly in arms production.

Lines on frog hook of that period is not typical, but it could be like PWCo mentioned a old stuff used, same as i saw not one piece, that was added these lines probably by owner, i would compare it with prewar piece frog hook, side by side. b.r.Andy
PS it looks like the mouth piece was replaced, so possible the scabbard was repaired? or something else

Hörster eliminated the incised lines to the face of the frog hanging hook in the middle period of 1939. Personally, I do not believe this to be a Hörster made frog hanging hook assembly as it does not have the correct construction and appearance.

I've found this bayonet in one of the on-line shops and this designe of the hook looked for me strange. There are not so much good pictures of other parts. Unfortunately, I am not able to compare the Waffenamt codes.
Thank you for your opinions.

If you did not buy it I would not and look for another one. ASW are not rare and I would get one that fits the norm rather than one that is not. Matching bayonets will come up for sale on this forum. I have bought several this way.

KKW22cal makes a good point. Hörster produced more S.84/98 than any other maker. Including more than half a million pieces in 1943 alone. In fact, the 43asw is the most common of all the bayonets made between 1934 and 1945.

I'ts allways much more interesting to buy Elite Diamant Berg & Co not refurbished bayonet, but is not to easy to find them now days.

Last edited:
Arūnas;252235 said:
I'ts allways much more interesting to buy Elite Diamond or Berg & Co not refurbished bayonet, but is not to easy to find them now days.

No, neither of those makers are easy to find.

Military Rifle Journal
Back