Third Party Press

Rough value, and more importantly late war barrels (use of MG barrels?) on AC44 G43

ChrisG43

Saw an AC44 today, I'm kicking myself right now for not taking a couple pictures. It's a little rough, but matching. Stock hasn't been messed with as far as a refinish, some one has etched/engraved about a 1" capital letter R into the Right side butt of the stock. It has a small crack that runs under the buttplate that would be easily fixed, a crack in part of the wood handguard (maybe 1/2 the length. It's missing the sight hood and cleaning rod. Barrel is dark, but typical surplus. What threw me was that right behind the front sight base there was some rough milling/machining done. This is definitely in a spiral pattern. I don't have my Weaver book with me (haven't looked at it in a year+ to be honest), but were Mg barrels ever milled down and used on a G43, as latewar Kriegsmodell K-98's, etc? Price is 1550$. Thanks, Chris...

The "R" in the stock means it was used for French police use. I don't think MG barrels were used on the G43, could be just machining marks.

Ac44

Thanks for the info on the R marking! I'm wavering on going back and picking it up, but part of me thinks that any AC44 G43 that isn't a complete basket case is worth it at 1550$ in today's market.....'

Thanks for the info on the R marking! I'm wavering on going back and picking it up, but part of me thinks that any AC44 G43 that isn't a complete basket case is worth it at 1550$ in today's market.....'

I would think so, assuming it hasn’t been boogered up. Pics would have been great to get a general idea what you’re looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think so. Even just for parts, it isn't hard to add up to $1550 as long as not monkeyed with. I honestly can't even keep up with G/K43 pricing but I imagine even a French marked stock is still worth $350-500.

Military Rifle Journal
Back