Third Party Press

Circle Z marked bolt parts

Roger S

May be a rookie question but never really studied WW1 era Mauser rifles in depth like other things. What is the significance of circle Z marked parts? I only have the one WW1 mauser and it is nothing special but all the bolt parts are marked this was and was just curious?

That should be 'Česká zbrojovka' the Czech arms maker. Quite high quality across the board however they didn't exist prior to 1919. Fwiw I have a CZ-83 pistol originally purchased and used by Israel that is incredibly accurate and reliable. A fantastic pre-composit piece IMHO.

Thanks. It has no SN markings or other proofs like I would expect to see on WW2 k98s. It is the straight bolt design like a gew98 and is a mauser receiver but being a mismatch anyway the bolt could have come from anywhere.

Attachments

• 1111181339.jpg
    1111181339.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 1111181337b.jpg
    1111181337b.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 1111181337a.jpg
    1111181337a.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 1111181337.jpg
    1111181337.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 52
Yeah dou used a ton of Circle Z marked parts however they used s/n on them. Late 30s Czech ordinance spare?

Now I'm thinking early Czech parts? Small z in the circle?

These are the only other markings I see. Out of my element but in house lot number or something like that perhaps?

Attachments

• 1112180711.jpg
    1112180711.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 47
I think your bolt may be from a SCW polish WZ-29 maybe pics of the rest of the rifle would give a clue....

I think your bolt may be from a SCW polish WZ-29 maybe pics of the rest of the rifle would give a clue....

Do you mean the bolt body? I'd wonder if there is anything on any of the other flats? That does not look like a typical Bystrica narked bolt letter/number code. Close but not quite IMHO. I'm certainly not any kind of authority. There are some guys who know the Czech rifles inside out.

Ceska Zbrojovka is different maker, this was Ceskoslovenska Zbrojovka Brno, that used Z in circle, but this type of stamps are not typical could be as mentioned too from Polish Zbrojownia reworks??,any proofs or serialing there? It could be parts delivery to Turkey from early CSZ,Brno production. b.r.Andy

The rest of the rifle will not tell much. It is a mauser oberndorf receiver and mismatched bands. If I had to guess the bolt was probably swapped at some point. The rifle itself is nothing remarkable. I got it dirt cheap at the Baltimore show several years ago. WW1 is of interest but not my primary focus of collecting so an example for the sake of an example was good enough.

The bolt however looked like it was matched more or less because the circle Z are the only markings but on each part. Probably switched who knows when?

Military Rifle Journal
Back