Third Party Press

Soviets mounted PU scopes to German K98ks

mdarnell19

Beavis Moderator
Staff member
Just wanted to share something that Ratnik found. There are Soviet documents that mention 100 captured K98k rifles being fitted with PU scopes for testing in mid 1943. Supposedly 98k's with PU mounts were used by the central sniper instructors at the school of Main Directorate of General Military training (Peoples Commisariat of Defence). He is currently looking for more info but thought you all here might find it interesting. Great work Alex!

So it was not only the Germans and Finns who made rifles like this.
46094224_10216513044795075_6086795383801905152_n.jpg

More info from Alex:
Request was made by heads of the 3d GAU department and Main directorate to head of GAU Firearms order department. He negotiated it and forwarded request to head of 5th GAU department (responsible for the infantry weapons)

Last edited:
Awesome information! He was telling me about this on the Vintage Sniper FB page. I hope we can find out a little more on this.

How do you know that the photo you posted isn’t a rifle that wasn’t re-captured by the Germans rather than converted by them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you know that the photo you posted isn’t a rifle that wasn’t re-captured by the Germans rather than converted by them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that’s the point I’m trying to make. But it does appear that they were made for testing so I doubt the one pictured was recaptured.

Last edited:
Are there anymore period pics of these? If it was just this pic I'd think photoshop, like that duv 43 ;) However, when you have period reference of it that's pretty solid.

Does that eye relief look a bit excessive for a PU? I'll have to look through my 91/30 sniper and see, just seems like he is a long way from the scope....

I believe the picture I posted is completely original. Here is another with a PEM scope on a K98k. This is taken from a video so it is without a doubt original. The document mentions the PU scope being used, not the PEM. So this rifle is most likely German made indicating that they did some of this themselves.

46456239_329015177882821_474960818148999168_n.jpg

Here are some other strange scope/rifle combinations that the Russians assembled.

SVT 40 (37).jpgSVT 40 (8).jpgSVT 40 (9).jpg

Here Dave should like this picture. This is from 1942.

1942. Major Loboda Ivan Alexandrovich, commander of the 645 Inf.Reg. 202 Inf.Div. 11 Army North West front hands weapons to scouts (snipers

46378340_713737715668337_1447177449291907072_n.jpg

Gents,

I remember coming across the posted pic a few years ago and wanting to build a replica of it. During my research I found a few people that actually had RC K-98's with a PU pattern drilled in the receiver. It is an interesting set up for sure, but the eye relief on it is not that great. I really wish we had more period pics of these. Here is a thread I posted awhile back regarding the build.

-Brian

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?15653-My-Completed-K-98-PU-Field-Armorer-Build

I believe the picture I posted is completely original. Here is another with a PEM scope on a K98k. This is taken from a video so it is without a doubt original. The document mentions the PU scope being used, not the PEM. So this rifle is most likely German made indicating that they did some of this themselves.

View attachment 191705

Here are some other strange scope/rifle combinations that the Russians assembled.

View attachment 191707View attachment 191708View attachment 191709

Photo 3 & 4 belong to me !!!! . This is a very interesting SVT with PE Scope !!!! If I recall the year on back of pic is 42 .

Here Dave should like this picture. This is from 1942.

1942. Major Loboda Ivan Alexandrovich, commander of the 645 Inf.Reg. 202 Inf.Div. 11 Army North West front hands weapons to scouts (snipers

View attachment 191712

Great Photo were did You get it . Would like a Copy if possible . Any Year on back of photo . Rifle is certainly SSR but what type ????
Thanks for posting it .

Another member has a Great Sniper Photo showing a Group of German Soldiers/Snipers 2 K98`s with PU`s and 2 K98`s with Cut Stocks and these are a UnKnown type Double Claw with PE Scopes . Maybe he will see this Thread and share the photo . Sorry Not My photo so a can not post it

Gents,

I remember coming across the posted pic a few years ago and wanting to build a replica of it. During my research I found a few people that actually had RC K-98's with a PU pattern drilled in the receiver. It is an interesting set up for sure, but the eye relief on it is not that great. I really wish we had more period pics of these. Here is a thread I posted awhile back regarding the build.

-Brian

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?15653-My-Completed-K-98-PU-Field-Armorer-Build

I have a RC S/42 1936 Rifle that had a PU Scope & Mount on it . I have almost completed the Restoration to it . There was another posted at GB`s about a Year Ago it was also an RC K98 with same hole pattern in Rec. as mine .

Great Photo were did You get it . Would like a Copy if possible . Any Year on back of photo . Rifle is certainly SSR but what type ????
Thanks for posting it .

Another member has a Great Sniper Photo showing a Group of German Soldiers/Snipers 2 K98`s with PU`s and 2 K98`s with Cut Stocks and these are a UnKnown type Double Claw with PE Scopes . Maybe he will see this Thread and share the photo . Sorry Not My photo so a can not post it

Alex posted it on a FaceBook group. It is from 1942. I copied his description (with his permission of course and to his credit).

Can't speak of the rifle in the picture, but you might remember my ground-dug rifle with the large Russian side mount? First, the documents only speak of PU snipers. Secondly, if it were Russian mounted they for sure would not had used the K98k action screws which do not fit very precisely but rather the original Russian screws. Thirdly, the additional information reveils it was denied. So while they may had requested that, we don't have any proof that they were really made.

And regarding the picture in the starting post: it is marked "Za Radinu" on top. I think this is some guys name who spends a lot of time repainting original war pictures. He might know where this picture originates from.

Dave, are you saying the pictures with the PEM on top mount on a SVT40 are yours? I'm asking because I have quite a few similar ones which were posted on guns.ru forum. There are a few more of something "off the line" items which I'll also post two here ..

Attachments

• 5870364.jpg
    5870364.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 5870370.jpg
    5870370.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 179
Can't speak of the rifle in the picture, but you might remember my ground-dug rifle with the large Russian side mount? First, the documents only speak of PU snipers. Secondly, if it were Russian mounted they for sure would not had used the K98k action screws which do not fit very precisely but rather the original Russian screws. Thirdly, the additional information reveils it was denied. So while they may had requested that, we don't have any proof that they were really made.

And regarding the picture in the starting post: it is marked "Za Radinu" on top. I think this is some guys name who spends a lot of time repainting original war pictures. He might know where this picture originates from.

Dave, are you saying the pictures with the PEM on top mount on a SVT40 are yours? I'm asking because I have quite a few similar ones which were posted on guns.ru forum. There are a few more of something "off the line" items which I'll also post two here ..

Georg
Yes , I am speaking of the PEM on top mount on an SVT , I bought the ORIGINAL Copy/Copies off of Ebay.de many Years Ago .

Georg
The #2 photo You Posted is Very interesting , IMO the Soldier on right has an SVT that may have a BMJ Turret Scope that has had the lower portion of the Front Ring Removed/Cut Off and Rear Middle piece removed . Then some kind of Russian Rings installed on Scope to adapt it to the SVT .

Last edited:
Georg
Yes , I am speaking of the PEM on top mount on an SVT , I bought the ORIGINAL Copy/Copies off of Ebay.de many Years Ago .

Georg
The #2 photo You Posted is Very interesting , IMO the Soldier on right has an SVT that may have a BMJ Turret Scope that has had the lower portion of the Front Ring Removed/Cut Off and Rear Middle piece removed . Then some kind of Russian Rings installed on Scope to adapt it to the SVT .

Good catch Dave. The scope is not your typical PEM or PE scope. That is certain. I can see why you say bmj.

That is why I had posted it!

Edit: can anyone make out what type of soldiers they are, based on the uniforms?

attachment.php

Military Rifle Journal
Back