Third Party Press

I’m stumped, what is this??

flynaked

Repo Field Gear Collector
The BR on this parts rifle has thrown me for a loop, I may have to buy it just to look what’s under the wood line ha! Is this some sort of depot build on a rejected MB maybe? The font isn’t like any German font that I know, at first I would have thought postwar, but it follows German SN conventions and it has funny non standard looking proofs. Look how narrow the proof is and the somewhat short/clipped left wing, can anyone attribute this proof to any known depots?

Attachments

• 3A4D9193-3803-4516-AE8C-8D199FA42AF1.jpg
    3A4D9193-3803-4516-AE8C-8D199FA42AF1.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 6ABC996A-3942-469F-A9B4-BDF36A792EC8.jpg
    6ABC996A-3942-469F-A9B4-BDF36A792EC8.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 5ADCAF04-2BDF-4743-AC59-9CB9E0ECA510.jpg
    5ADCAF04-2BDF-4743-AC59-9CB9E0ECA510.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 142
I agree the numeric fonts are not typical of this maker-range, the FP on the receiver looks like a counterstamp (over an earlier FP), but the barrel shows waffenamt e/26 which is a Berlin firm. Knowing the BC would go a long way to clench a reasonable explanation... could be Geco or another Berlin area barrel maker known for ordnance spares (MB is not a big supplier of spare barrels)

Assuming the barrel is Geco or FW, etc.. then perhaps the strange numeric fonts could be connected to some funky depot work. It should be remembered that MB wasn't known for supplying receivers as ordnance spares either and there is no real evidence of a scrubbed serial. Also fonts on production do vary slightly, this is more radical of a difference than normal, but the first step must be to identify the barrel and go form there.

Is it worth buying it to find out? I do not know, probably not, because the barrel will probably not settle the questions. Stocks tell stories, barrels usually fine tune possible scenarios.

I swear I remember that FP with the broken wing tip has been discussed before. I have not found it in search however. That very distinct 4 font should help too. As Paul mentioned I'd be interested in who 'made' the barrel.

Most of the time a broken wing tip is discussed it’s in reference to late Oberndorf, maybe that’s what you are thinking of?

Thanks Paul, yeah it sure is interesting, I’ll see if they might let me take it apart next time.

Most of the time a broken wing tip is discussed it’s in reference to late Oberndorf, maybe that’s what you are thinking of?

Thanks Paul, yeah it sure is interesting, I’ll see if they might let me take it apart next time.

As I recall, the late 44-45 Oberndorf FP die was missing the Swastika. Vol. IIa shows an AR 41 and an AR42 that have a clipped wing on the FP similar to OP's. I don't recall seeing an explanation as in the case of the damaged Oberndorf stamp. Maybe just poorly struck?

As I recall, the late 44-45 Oberndorf FP die was missing the Swastika. Vol. IIa shows an AR 41 and an AR42 that have a clipped wing on the FP similar to OP's. I don't recall seeing an explanation as in the case of the damaged Oberndorf stamp. Maybe just poorly struck?

I could have sworn there is a broken wing on Oberndorf too but I could be wrong, I don’t follow Oberndorf closely. The ar41/42 proofs are definitely a different die, the eagle is far different. These also don’t appear to be poorly struck but rather fairly squarely struck, evidence of that on the receiver proof and how hard it was struck, showing imprinting from the body of the stamp all the way around.

That is interesting. Probably no further indicators like the ID disc or AA stamp as it looks like stock has been replaced on Op's rifle. Did the Germans have a depot in North Africa that could replace barrels?

Last edited:
Interesting, I assumed it was a rejection but maybe not!

That is interesting. Probably no further indicators like the ID disc or AA stamp as it looks like stock has been replaced on Op's rifle. Did the Germans have a depot in North Africa that could replace barrels?

None of these rifles show barrel replacement. It wouldn't be a German mark. Or would it? We know that mark is common to the combat used 1941 and earlier rifles that ended up in Commonwealth hands, with a connection to India (which had large numbers of Commonwealth troops in North Africa), imported in the early 60s, which we generally believe to be those K98ks captured from the DAK in North Africa. Or is it a palm tree stamped on them by German WaA/HZA/Depot to show these rifles as being intended for, or property of, the Deutsches Afrika Korps?
DAK cuff.jpg

Now, compare:
DAK cuff.jpg 3A4D9193-3803-4516-AE8C-8D199FA42AF1.jpg

Here is the proof that my theory is correct:
http://www.overloadbuzz.com/10-items-of-food-that-look-like-celebrities/

Last edited:
Or is it a palm tree stamped on them by German WaA/HZA/Depot to show these rifles as being intended for, or property of, the Deutsches Afrika Korps?

Nice interesting theory Ham. I'm not sure I can get there but it intriques me.

These also don’t appear to be poorly struck but rather fairly squarely struck, evidence of that on the receiver proof and how hard it was struck, showing imprinting from the body of the stamp all the way around.

I absolutely agree. The stamp is squarely and well stuck. I have another theory that there is residual metal filling the edge of that wing. I believe it's generally called 'pickup'.

I believe it an inspection marking of the Commonwealth end-user. I've some familiarity with Commonwealth WW2 period firearms and have not seen this one.

I could eventually figure out most of the abbreviations used in this thread, but not BP. Why not go with the convention and abbreviate only after the full term is used at least once?

I could eventually figure out most of the abbreviations used in this thread, but not BP. Why not go with the convention and abbreviate only after the full term is used at least once?

:laugh: That's funny. I couldn't find 'BP' in this thread but usually that would be butt plate. BC is barrel code. If you meant FP that's firing proof.

That’s British Petroleum haha. I have a feeling he’s referring to my initial post that starts off with BR (Barreled Receiver) and miss reading it as BP. These are all no different than the common acronyms used again and again. If I were to use an uncommon one or make one up then sure I would preface it’s use with an explanation.

Military Rifle Journal
Back