Third Party Press

My New 1935 WaffenStadt Suhl

WreckTangle

Mad Dog 20/20 Connoisseur (RIP Brother 06-05-203)
Picked up this 1935 WaffenStadt Suhl with the third logo variation at an auction a couple weekends for a good deal. Bore is bright and shiny with sharp rifling. Receiver is an attractive dark plum to chocolate color (as reported by others as well) while the barrel has the normal bluing color. The bluing had some “rust freckles” on it which I took care of with ***. However, although the rust is gone, you can still see where it was. Note the DLV marking on next to Deutsches Sportmodell.

Now the bad part. The stock has had varnish, literally, slapped over the stock. So much so, that the finish is starting to crack on the bottom of the buttstock—I plan on removing the varnish.
And another problem, the handguard is missing. Simpson’s book states that the WaffenStadt stocks were unique in that they were solely supplied by Haenel. Haenel serialized and stamped CGH in the handguard and stock channels (my stock is 187) to each other instead of the receiver like other makers. It’s going to be hard finding a replacement handguard and impossible to find a Haenel Waffenstadt handguard.

Attachments

• 01 Compressed.jpg
    01 Compressed.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 02 Compressed.jpg
    02 Compressed.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 03 Compressed.jpg
    03 Compressed.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 04 Compressed.jpg
    04 Compressed.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 75
Some more pictures

Attachments

• 05 Compressed.jpg
    05 Compressed.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 06 1 Compressed.jpg
    06 1 Compressed.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 06 2 Compressed.jpg
    06 2 Compressed.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 06 Compressed.jpg
    06 Compressed.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 49
Even more pictures.

Attachments

• 07 Compressed.jpg
    07 Compressed.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 08 Compressed.jpg
    08 Compressed.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 09 Compressed.jpg
    09 Compressed.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 41
  • WaffenStadt_Stock_ Compressed.jpg
    WaffenStadt_Stock_ Compressed.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 43
  • WaffenStadt_Stock__1 Compressed.jpg
    WaffenStadt_Stock__1 Compressed.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 51
  • WaffenStadt_Stock__2 Compressed.jpg
    WaffenStadt_Stock__2 Compressed.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 44
I like the rifle, Suhl’s blueing is one of the most unique that I have seen. I have one logo without a date and two with a 1935 date on the receiver. I would like to find a rifle with the 1934 date on the receiver . I know there are additional variations but I would be happy with that addition. Do you collect training rifles, if so what types?

I like the rifle, Suhl’s blueing is one of the most unique that I have seen. I have one logo without a date and two with a 1935 date on the receiver. I would like to find a rifle with the 1934 date on the receiver . I know there are additional variations but I would be happy with that addition. Do you collect training rifles, if so what types?

Just getting started. So far I have a JAG, BSW KKW, Gustloff KKW and this Waffenstadt.

Love the waffenStadt receiver color. Concerning the different variations there are a lot.. You also have the different shield versions in addition.

Last edited:
Plan on stripping the varnish off the stock so that I can determine the base color of the walnut stock then try and have Fox Military to match the color of the handguard I'll have them make if I cannot find one stateside first.

I can build you a HG if you like, I’m making one right now for an SS dsm but it would have to be sometime next year, too many stocks in at the moment.

Just getting started. So far I have a JAG, BSW KKW, Gustloff KKW and this Waffenstadt.

Love the waffenStadt receiver color. Concerning the different variations there are a lot.. You also have the different shield versions in addition.

I am attempting to get a crest with a 1934 date. I already have two with a 1935 date and one without a date. I know that there are variations on the crest but if I can get those three I will be happy.

I am attempting to get a crest with a 1934 date. I already have two with a 1935 date and one without a date. I know that there are variations on the crest but if I can get those three I will be happy.

Is your serial of your unmarked Waffenstadt the lower s/n range or the higher s/n range? There are "no dates" which show up in the earlier and later serial ranges, each having different variations of the crest mark.

I hear you. I look pretty regularly online for trainers and don't see many Waffenstadts. Of course I'm pretty young and just started to collect within the last year or so, which of course, is after you all started to get stingy and started to horde your trainers :laugh:

Receiver markings are... no date, 1934, 1935 and no date (in that order). Simpson says (~pg. 201) there are 3 crest variations and to add to the confusion the 3 crest variations can span across receiver dates. I'm getting more interested with the Waffenstadts with all the variations. I just love the color of the action/receiver, especially when it hits the sun.

In addition to missing the handguard I just realized that the stock foregrip area is bowed downward. Sad. Looks like I'm going to have to get a new complete stock set from Fox Military.

I'm missing the upper handguard retainer piece that goes under the front of the sight. Does anyone know where I could get one, or if someone makes reproductions?

This is starting to turn into a project gun, I might just keep it as is for now and use it as my shooter.

Last edited:
Is your serial of your unmarked Waffenstadt the lower s/n range or the higher s/n range? There are "no dates" which show up in the earlier and later serial ranges, each having different variations of the crest mark.

I hear you. I look pretty regularly online for trainers and don't see many Waffenstadts. Of course I'm pretty young and just started to collect within the last year or so, which of course, is after you all started to get stingy and started to horde your trainers :laugh:

Receiver markings are... no date, 1934, 1935 and no date (in that order). Simpson says (~pg. 201) there are 3 crest variations and to add to the confusion the 3 crest variations can span across receiver dates. I'm getting more interested with the Waffenstadts with all the variations. I just love the color of the action/receiver, especially when it hits the sun.

Mine is an early undated receiver. The serial number is below 100. There are many variations but if I can find a 1934 dated receiver marking I would be content. I am looking for one/two variations of the Geco as well. Not to worry, I have been hoarding them for the past 5/6 years. Trainers and bayonets are what I collect.

Military Rifle Journal
Back