Third Party Press

1944 Walther PP 7.65 in plume red

moosedog

I just picked up one of these rare birds last week. A desirable plum red, waffenamted PP. It is a known color variation and pretty rare. I have had three of them, sold one and just acquired this one. Note that it has a lanyard loop. I've seen them both ways and my other one does not have this loop. Legacy and pre98 have sold these in the past. Any one else familiar with these variations?

Attachments

• Plum Red WWII PP 002.jpg
    Plum Red WWII PP 002.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Plum Red WWII PP 005.jpg
    Plum Red WWII PP 005.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Plum Red WWII PP 008.jpg
    Plum Red WWII PP 008.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Plum Red WWII PP 021.jpg
    Plum Red WWII PP 021.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Plum Red WWII PP 016.JPG
    Plum Red WWII PP 016.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Plum Red WWII PP 015.JPG
    Plum Red WWII PP 015.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Plum Red WWII PP 013.JPG
    Plum Red WWII PP 013.JPG
    208.7 KB · Views: 42
Never have seen one but I love it! I’m a sucker for plum framed pistols etc. Call me a beginner but I’ve never seen grips like this on a PP either, very nice!

38AE0E64-D3F2-4A28-B354-D959FE2E0484.jpg3E273341-5596-436D-8A8B-4140388A1C77.jpg

Yes, I have one as well. My photo is just a quick ipad shoot but this PP is VERY plumb colored with the red grips. These red grips were like the P.38 red grip panels but a little rarer than the P.38 red grips. Not just a whole lot of them out there, but not just super rare either.

This type of lanyard loop was added post war by the French police according to Robert Whittington’s book “German Pistols and Holsters 1934-1945, volume II”, page 251.

5480B88D-DFE3-4E4F-B7D8-FF7080DEFD3E.jpg

Last edited:
That's what I heard about the loop also. As for the plum color, I read on the Legacy Arms site that the Germans were experimenting with the bluing process at this time. Some guns have frame only in Plum and other's frame, slide and barrel.

That's what I heard about the loop also. As for the plum color, I read on the Legacy Arms site that the Germans were experimenting with the bluing process at this time. Some guns have frame only in Plum and other's frame, slide and barrel.

Yeah, that is more than likely what was going on with these reddish, plumb looking finishes. There are some P.38 ac44’s that are like this too....super reddish looking frames. But, I was hearing from the P.38 guys that they had “problems” with the bluing solution. So, not sure what it was.

IMO when these were new they weren’t plum colored, it’s something that happens over time. It’s a common phenomenon with other pistols and rifles, usually caused by improper storage, use, or steel variations. Google “plum 1911” or “plum Ruger” and you’ll find some interesting stuff to read about guns turning plum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the plum in contrast with the still strong blued parts makes for an interesting piece, especially with the red grips. Nice.

to me the color is due to chemical reactions. Either the bath or steel make up.

These frames are a solid color even where not exposed..

I've seen a couple of these PP with the lanyard ring set -up identical to the OP's pistol.
I believe this is a postwar French modification.

FWIW the French added the same lanyard loop to the FN 1922s. And yes, I agree with everyone else, the plum shows up over time. It's commonly found with Walther AC44s as mentioned as well as some 41s and certain blocks of the Mod HPs. I believe it's just related to the bluing process not being spot on since most of the time it's groups of guns with a few outliers.

Military Rifle Journal
Back