Third Party Press

BYF 45 Kriegsmodell

Mike, has any documentation ever been found to support this? I for one believe duffle cuts were done for convenience. Based on my personal observations and rifles in my collection, approximately 15% are duffle cut. So how did so many remain uncut if regulations existed? Look at the PTO, I can count on one hand the ones that have been duffle cut. So if regulations existed for the ETO why not for the PTO?

Jeff

After VJ day. Admiral Halsley encouraged bringing back souvenirs. He wanted every sailor to have a victory trophy rifle to take home. Less need to hide, so less need to cut.

I don’t know what the regulation size box was but a lot of rifles simply had the bayonet lugs removed and possibly the buttplate which might have given just enough room. I’ve had a few rifles that were otherwise complete missing the bayonet lug pin so I’m thinking at an angle they might have fit in THE box like that whatever size that happens to be. Just thinking out loud on some observations.

Mike, has any documentation ever been found to support this? I for one believe duffle cuts were done for convenience. Based on my personal observations and rifles in my collection, approximately 15% are duffle cut. So how did so many remain uncut if regulations existed? Look at the PTO, I can count on one hand the ones that have been duffle cut. So if regulations existed for the ETO why not for the PTO?

Jeff

There had to be some compelling reason to chop a few inches off the end of the stock, otherwise I can't see so many GIs going through the extra effort. Why do it unless there was a reason?

Last edited:
Bring-backs at Fort Lewis - December 1945
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...forum.com/showthread.php?t=34088&share_type=t

I’d say mailed home were cut based on a lot of boxed guns I’ve seen and owned. Check out the bring backs above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a really small sample, but the dou 42 "b" block 98K that my uncle shipped home after the surrender of St. Nazirre was not duffle cut. He simply pulled the action out of the stock and paid not much to have the gun boxed up. We have a photo of my great grandfather unpacking it in the states. I don't believe that there was any standard size or design for shipping boxes. Duffle cut rifles were most likely actually carried back to the states in a duffle bag, but that doesn't mean that stocks were not cut to fit available shipping boxes.

I still have my grandfather's duffle bag from WW2, so I did a quick test without removing the stock again. Is it just a coincidence that the stock is cut to the exact length that fits into a GI bag and still allows it to close properly? Probably not.

d0CtMFfh.jpg

Ylw99jih.jpg

Gotta wonder how many times some of these rifles changed hands in poker games during the voyage back to the States.

Would I be a complete idiot to consider shooting this rifle?

This is just my opinion.

Like 20 rounds? Or 200? It looks clean so if there's no lug setback or cracks starting and the action fits tight in the stock I don't see why not. Also modern US ammo is much easier and cleaner on the rifle. The 170gr Core-Lokt are clean and easy on any gun. See 'Lawyer Load' I shoot a 198 FMJ pushing 2200 ft/s and that still 300+ slower than s.S Patrone loading. Here's another guys opine from earlier this year but I concur.. '3/16 steel at 109 yrds is butter to these rounds. Brno mauser, 95 yrs young, she's a beauty. No complaints. PPU has a hotter load than American rounds and matches the performance specs required for this rifle.'

If you look around you'll find Berdan primed white box that nearly exactly matches the s.S. Patrone specs.

assortment.JPG

Lastly I would say if you have any doubt as to your ability to assess the safety of your weapon please see a qualified gunsmith.

Last edited:
Definitely closer to 20, probably less just to have the experience of shooting one. Thoughts on a boring Saturday!

Definitely closer to 20, probably less just to have the experience of shooting one. Thoughts on a boring Saturday!

I think 10-20 rounds, especially using Law loads should be no problem IMO. That guy I quoted 'popping plate' was shooting a 1923 vz with a Walnut stock. I've shot several hundred through a byf 43 RC. Cause it's fun.

The urge to shoot this one has passed thanks to another timely purchase. I went back to the same shop I bought this rifle from and saw two of the other guns that the seller of this rifle had left on consignment. A pair of mis-matched Czech Brno marked K98s, one an Israeli converted to 7.62mm and the other with a scrubbed receiver that I think is still in 8x57, possibly also Israeli. Walked out with the pair for $400! I will start another thread on those with a bunch of questions.

Bringing this back up because I'm in the process of inventorying my firearms collection for insurance purposes and am trying to assign realistic values to everything. I'm struggling with this one because I'm still a newbie to K98 collecting and it's hard to assess what something like this is really worth. On the one hand, it's an all matching late war Kriegsmodell with bringback provenance, but on the other hand, I don't know how much the duffle cut detracts from the value. In other words, I have no idea whether this is a $1500 rifle or a $2500 rifle. I'd appreciate any opinions, either publicly or privately. And just to be clear, this is not a veiled attempt at a sale. It is NOT for sale!

For insurance purpose you should value it at $2500, you could probably sell it as is for about $1800-2000 IMO with the replaced front band and cut stock.

Repair

This stock should be repaired. I would love to see Bruce or Clay post pics of the process of repairing the stock.

Thanks. I have debated whether or not to repair it. For now, I'm leaning towards the "do no harm" position to just leave it as-is.

Mrfarb, I know the front band screw is replaced with what looks like a hardware store screw, but do you think the band itself is replaced? It looks correct and original to me, but I'm far from an expert.

My bad, looks like the original band. Me personally I’d have it repaired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back