Third Party Press

BMJ Dialytan 4x at Gun Store

Spivey

Howdy!

I found this scope in the back of a gun store; neither I nor the owner know what it is worth but from ebay pricing he's asking $450.
Is this reasonable?

I can't find much on the history myself, how to tell fakes apart by markings, and generally have no clue about optics in general.
I've always used iron sights for hunting.

IMG_5426.jpg
IMG_5427.jpg

It has no mounts, but the glass is clear and nice.
It is clean aside from a weird yellow bit on the inside of the tube at the top right that doesn't effect the optic itself.

I'm personally just looking to put an old-timey looking scope onto an old de-sporterized sporterized K98k that has a mount drilled already.

Oh man I’ve been looking for one!

Attachments

• E45BB42F-C980-421A-AFB8-8AEBAF896BF9.jpg
    E45BB42F-C980-421A-AFB8-8AEBAF896BF9.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 92
Would be 75XXX for Single Claw. If LSR would have recoil ring. Whole pic would help. Dial is 1 to 8. That’s good. Markings look good from your one pic.

A single claw scope can be in the 64,000 to 66,000 (early) and 74,000 to 75,000 (late). Can’t limit them to just the 75k range.

This scope is likely for a long side rail or high turret. If it turns out to be war time which it likely is then $450 is a great deal assuming the optics are in good shape.

Whatever mount it originally had, grab it for $ 450. In a resale on eBay you should minimum get double of that.

dfsf.JPG
dfsvd.JPG
xcvcx.JPG

So this one has a sunshade?
Again, I'm not very big on optics and don't really know much terminology.

Hello,

WOW 600 BMJ observations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! been doing it for 18 years now and I am only at 216 observations. looks like I need to retire collecting info : )

later
vaughn

Thanks. I got a good laugh. I was out Christmas Shopping with the wife. She enjoys shopping more than me needless to say. I do not like the mall. This was the most fun I had all day.

Is it possible to mount the high turret mounts to a normal receiver, or am I better off buying a leupold mount set?

Is it possible to mount the high turret mounts to a normal receiver, or am I better off buying a leupold mount set?

Bro
If your sell this scope and buy a commercial scope set up for your rifle; you will complete your project, help someone restore their sniper project, and put some money in your pocket.

Bro
If your sell this scope and buy a commercial scope set up for your rifle; you will complete your project, help someone restore their sniper project, and put some money in your pocket.

+1 to this!

But can't I just put a repro high turret mount (I think they have to be soldered or drilled in?) from ebay onto a prezeduce 44 yugo capture or something and have an interesting/semi-realistic looking sniper?

Again, I literally have no clue how optics work aside from having used POSPs on AKs and red dots on ARs; very little experience with traditional scopes and mounts and how they're put on guns/adjusted.

The scope has to be completely disassembled/soldered into the rings, the scope bases are drilled and soldered onto the receiver, then the scope reassembled. Also the bluing has to be removed where the rings solder, so whatever specific eye relief it is mounted at would be a permanent modification to an original sniper scope. I have to wonder if this wasn’t an Lsr scope just based on the fact that the bluing is worn and intact where the previous ring marks are, it’s either that or it was reblued.

All the currently available repro HT mounts out there are okay at best. Most German scope mounting systems were hand fit to some degree or another, some very intensively like all the claw mount variations (there are 24 hand fit surfaces in a double claw mount for example), so the majority of the mass CNC produced mounts available are only ever going to be so so. I could see the Lsr series of repros being a better option given the nature of the design and tensioning of the rail however.

With the above said, you might spend 250 on some HT mounts, 3-500 on a yugo 98k, 450 on this scope, and then 500 if you are lucky to have the labor intensive scope disassembly/mounting performed, that’s if you can even find one of the few gunsmiths in the country still capable of doing that complete job to any kind of acceptable standard, some of them ARE on this forum however. Also if it’s a smith worth his salt for this type of work you might be looking at a couple or few months wait to even get the rifle in. If the smith you chose isn’t up to this job you risk destroying or at best severely damaging an irreplaceable ORIGINAL ww2 Sniper rifle scope when there are dozens of commercial, postwar, prewar etc German scopes out there that “look” the part for a shooter at any given time on eBay and many other places online, not to mention the dozens I see locally for sale. At the end of all that too it may only shoot so so with those repro mounts and a yugo pieced together 98k for a base rifle.

This is not an easy scope to come across, and at the end of the day it is now your call as to what will happen to it. It will not work for a Single Claw unfortunately with that sunshade and the geometry required to release the front claw, however I know there are multiple guys with original HT/Lsr snipers in need of a scope that it would be awesome to see it go to if that’s possible. I can help you find a nice German scope at half that price if you would like so that someone might be able to restore an original sniper. As previously mentioned you could probably have an entire shooter put together for what you could get out of that scope. If you’d be interested in another scope just shoot me a message, I know where some nice German glass is all in the 250 range. Congrats on finding a cool scope :thumbsup:

If you are smart, sell this scope for around $ 1000 on eBay and for that money buy a complete made up rifle on gunbroker.

The scope has to be completely disassembled/soldered into the rings, the scope bases are drilled and soldered onto the receiver, then the scope reassembled. Also the bluing has to be removed where the rings solder, so whatever specific eye relief it is mounted at would be a permanent modification to an original sniper scope. I have to wonder if this wasn’t an Lsr scope just based on the fact that the bluing is worn and intact where the previous ring marks are, it’s either that or it was reblued.
This scope doesn't have a recoil ring so it was never a LSR scope. I don't think it was reblued. Possibly a scope that never made it on a rifle.

Ahh, very good point, I was trying to sort out why the bluing wasn’t removed at the ring locations. Likely just ring marks from postwar use then.

This scope doesn't have a recoil ring so it was never a LSR scope. I don't think it was reblued. Possibly a scope that never made it on a rifle.

Military Rifle Journal
Back