Third Party Press

1899 Spandau Gewehr 98 Restoration Completed!

Mauser4me

Hey fellas, just thought I'd share my most recent mauser project. I posted it what must be like 2 years ago, and anyways I just now got around to finishing it. Originally was looking for parts on eBay for a rebarreled resto-mod Gew 98 and bought a few matching #'ed parts off eBay which included the barrel. Then a few weeks later the same guy sold the receiver on gunbroker and I snatched it up. I then had the barrel re-installed (moron parted out a matching 1899 Spandau...). So anyways the barrel (& sights), receiver, action screws (& locking screws), follow (& spring), and trigger assembly all match #5594. The other parts are all original parts with imperial markings except for the barrel band springs and rear sling swivel screws which are unmarked. The stock however is a fox-military reproduction which is absolutely fantastic. The unit marking disc is one I took out of a random completely butchered Gew 98 stock I got online. Just got a chopped up section of the buttstock. Either way I couldn't find a database to search the markings on it anyhow. If anyone knows - please post a link!

Every article or database I can find essentially says 'Spandau made a little over 5,000 Gewehr 98's in 1899'. So since this is #5594, I believe it is the highest serial # known for a Spandau 1899? If anyone knows otherwise let me know. Just wanted to show off my new toy! Haven't shot it yet. Planning on putting 20 rounds of non-corrosive factory PPU ammo through it but that's about it. The bore is bright but a bit worn. I'm not disappointed though because I wouldn't use it as a shooter rifle even if it is a mix-master.

If you want to see anything else let me know! Feel free to update whatever serial # databases there are for Spandau Gewehr 98 production. I feel special that I stumbled across such a rare mauser!

BTW - It's NOT for sale but if it was, what would be the value?

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_6397 - Copy2.jpg
    IMG_6397 - Copy2.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_6398 - Copy2.JPG
    IMG_6398 - Copy2.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_6399 - Copy2.jpg
    IMG_6399 - Copy2.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6400 - Copy2.JPG
    IMG_6400 - Copy2.JPG
    248.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_6401 - Copy2.jpg
    IMG_6401 - Copy2.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_6402 - Copy2.JPG
    IMG_6402 - Copy2.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 67
It looks great. Every time I see a Fox stock I'm impressed. They are REALLY good at this point.

I have pictures of this rifle from June 2017 and later together from last February. It would be helpful to my research and for answering your questions if you could take clear, direct pictures of the right receiver, barrel code and barrel fireproofing. I have all three but they are glancing views (angles) and the BC doesn't show the FP, though I assume it would be similar to the FP on the receiver as this rifle wouldn't originally have had one (on the receiver) when manufactured. The RR suggests this rifle was re-barreled by a higher authority, probably an arsenal, but even with good pictures it would all be speculation.

As for rarity, you wouldn't think that Spandau would be rare in comparison to others within the same date ranges, however in observations (surviving rifles) and in range, only DWM is scarcer in 1899. Your rifle is the highest clearly identified, though reports go into the 7800 block, with one sorry example that has been sporterized supporting the 7000 range. DWM ranges about to your serial range, high 5000 block, but all are KM and very elusive. Spandau of course are best known for Garde and KS (Colonial) so most did not survive. Yours is about as nice as any other I have encountered/documented, but, most are not documented well. CB owned an Spandau/1899 though I do not know its condition or status. One is in Germany and another looks like it might be pretty original, but the pictures I have are pretty useless. The others, eleven in all, are essentially various degrees of junk. So, in 20 plus years, I have recorded maybe three that may have some merit, plus your rifle of course, - so I would say that qualifies are pretty rare, though rarity of the receiver is only an element of value. For most, originality and condition matter at least as much as rarity, at least for strong prices.

... Either way I couldn't find a database to search the markings on it anyhow. If anyone knows - please post a link!

Every article or database I can find essentially says 'Spandau made a little over 5,000 Gewehr 98's in 1899'. So since this is #5594, I believe it is the highest serial # known for a Spandau 1899? If anyone knows otherwise let me know... If you want to see anything else let me know! Feel free to update whatever serial # databases there are for Spandau Gewehr 98 production. I feel special that I stumbled across such a rare mauser!

I have pictures of this rifle from June 2017 and later together from last February..

Would you consider doing a montage? Say an early group, mid and complete? If the OP is cool with it of course. Worthwhile?

June 2017 - receiver only.

Would you consider doing a montage? Say an early group, mid and complete? If the OP is cool with it of course. Worthwhile?

Attachments

• pix032059795.jpg
    pix032059795.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 22
  • pix265417148.jpg
    pix265417148.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 32
  • pix394163783.jpg
    pix394163783.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 17
  • pix394384420.jpg
    pix394384420.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 17
  • pix744313033.jpg
    pix744313033.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 16
  • pix860921633.jpg
    pix860921633.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 15
  • pix920505970.jpg
    pix920505970.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 20
February 2018 - together

Attachments

• IMG_5076.jpg
    IMG_5076.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5077.jpg
    IMG_5077.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5078.jpg
    IMG_5078.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5079.jpg
    IMG_5079.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5080.jpg
    IMG_5080.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 17
if you could take clear, direct pictures of the right receiver, barrel code and barrel fireproofing. I have all three but they are glancing views (angles) and the BC doesn't show the FP, though I assume it would be similar to the FP on the receiver as this rifle wouldn't originally have had one (on the receiver) when manufactured.

I'll send whatever pictures help you out with your research, but I'm a bit confused on 'BC' and 'FP'. Just send a list of the angles you'd like (and any example pics would help) and I'll post them soon as I get the chance.

Thanks for the responses though guys!

BC=barrel code
FP=fireproof

Both will aid in identifying the maker and installer of the barrel (theoretically), depots and ordnance staffs tend to be minimalistic, when you see a more formal acceptance pattern (3 acceptance stamps) it usually means it is a arsenal or higher authority. Your pictures give indirect or glancing angles to these two things. Impossible to even try and make a connection.

I'll send whatever pictures help you out with your research, but I'm a bit confused on 'BC' and 'FP'. Just send a list of the angles you'd like (and any example pics would help) and I'll post them soon as I get the chance.

Thanks for the responses though guys!

In Nazi Germany and their industrial production so many things matter. Not always but sometimes the font size or style, the size, shape or even damage on acceptance stamps or proofs can tell a lot. Even in some cases who made it, who did it , and in what era. The guys here are amazing but clear and detailed pictures of the stamps are crucial to this type of analysis. Doesn't always pan out but more often than not much more can be gleaned.

Thanks Loewe. I thought this might prove inspirational and motivational to someone... maybe even a new collector who encounters a somewhat rare piece and decides to try to return it to it's proper state. :thumbsup:

Sorry for the delay gents. Accidentally gave my computer a coffee bath and had to let it dry out for a few days to be sure I wouldn't fry it. Anyways all is well now!

I took the best pictures I could inside & out but it's raining here in the Pacific Northwest and I don't think it'll let up any time this week.

Let me know if these are what you're looking for and if there's any info they shed light on!

PS - Sorry about the orientation but for the life of me I can't get them to upload right-side-up

Attachments

• IMG_6405.jpg
    IMG_6405.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6407.jpg
    IMG_6407.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6409.jpg
    IMG_6409.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6410.jpg
    IMG_6410.jpg