103 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_0098.jpg
    DSC_0098.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0097.jpg
    DSC_0097.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
The BC is typical of Hannover jobs, basically ordnance spares, offhand I can't remember if I attributed it to a steel provider. I will add more pictures of the BC tomorrow, have limited time today.

IIRR "LOEWE" identified this one as a Danzig 1917, # 1130 cc,
Bases for Emil Busch, Visar 2 3/4x scope

Thanks for the extra photos Paul. Wolfgang, thank you for all those examples, those snipers I think will be of great importance overall for this study.

It is always a pleasure to be helpful to serious researchers.

I have some photos showing another original claw mount Danzig 1917 with Gl.V. rear sight.
But since I do not remember where I got the photos from, only a part of the serial: 86?? bb

BTW:
I have two other semi turret rifles. Another 1918 and a 1917. Both do NOT have the Gl.V. marked rear sight.
If you want any details about these, let me know.

It is always a pleasure to be helpful to serious researchers.

I have some photos showing another original claw mount Danzig 1917 with Gl.V. rear sight.
But since I do not remember where I got the photos from, only a part of the serial: 86?? bb
Yes that is mine. It is 8606bb. He however asked about 1918 dating rifles only so I did not mention it.

Yes that is mine. It is 8606bb. He however asked about 1918 dating rifles only so I did not mention it.

If I did not misunderstand the request, he is interested in ANY rifle with Gl.V. marked rear sight.

Sorry, I had your photos in an neutral folder and did not remember where the photos came from.

He originally had contacted me via e-mail and asked only on 1918 dating rifles, that is why I mentioned it. I am not sure if he did the same in the starting post?

Thanks gentlemen, at this point I am interested in any rifle with a Gl.V. marked rifle 1916-1918 any info in that regard is welcome. Any 1917 dated example is welcome. My scope was more limited when I first started out, I looked originally at 1918 Dated rifles because they seemed to have the highest probability of having that feature, mainly because it seems that it didn't really begin appearing until the late single letter suffixes for both Amberg and Danzig 1917. I'm not very astute on the total number produced for that year at those makers but going forward I will ask about that info. It would certainly help determine if this is a mid or late 1917 feature.

I saw above the mention of non Gl.V marked 1918 dated rifles it would be great to see those especially from Amberg and Danzig, I think it could help establish a control for this study. I have been using mauser oberndorf seeing as I find a lot of examples, none marked though. Having rifles from the reported makers would help more in my assessment, particularly to see if there is any difference in part acceptance and barrel code.

Thanks again for the help.

Deleted,
Sorry! mistake!

Checked all of my gew98 rifles last night for that marking on the rear sight. No luck I do not have a single rifle with that marking. But being your researching this if I do come across any rifles with that marking. I will try to get the information to you.

Checked all of my gew98 rifles last night for that marking on the rear sight. No luck I do not have a single rifle with that marking. But being your researching this if I do come across any rifles with that marking. I will try to get the information to you.

Thanks Jordan, I appreciate it.

I have posted detailed pictures of Glasvisier 16 #6000 attached to one of the rifles mentioned in the starting post in the sniper section of this forum: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread...-Glasvisier-16&p=256844&viewfull=1#post256844

Georg, those are beautiful photos, what is your method for that? Fantastic rifle and optic set, the condition is fantastic and the manual is remarkable. Nice to see one of these on a proper marked rifle.

I think this particular optic is pretty significant. It's the high number for the study which has already surpassed my assumption of five thousand. It will be interesting to see if any turn up higher than this. I have recorded multiple examples from 1-1000, 2k-3k, etc through 6,000, I'm inclined to think that if they were higher I would have seen more dotted examples past 6,000. You very well could have the last one made, but time will tell. I think it's important to not get carried away and let the study guide conclusions and not the other way around, given my assumption has already been proven wrong once.

I didn't know Amberg started bluing receivers so early in their 1918 production, I have Amberg 1918 6507 and it's in the white.

This Glasvisier is on display at the Militärmuseum Sonntagberg in Lower Austria. I don't think the rifle it sits on has a Gl.V. marked rear sight, but can't really make it out. Comes with front sight and original pouch, so despite of the condition quite a "good" ensemble.

Take special note of the "K" marking on the Glasvisier on the main tube. I have never seen this before, anyone an idea on the meaning?

Attachments

• Sonntagberg_04.jpg
    Sonntagberg_04.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 33
  • Sonntagberg_05.jpg
    Sonntagberg_05.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 36
  • Sonntagberg_06.jpg
    Sonntagberg_06.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Sonntagberg_07.jpg
    Sonntagberg_07.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 31
This Glasvisier is on display at the Militärmuseum Sonntagberg in Lower Austria. I don't think the rifle it sits on has a Gl.V. marked rear sight, but can't really make it out. Comes with front sight and original pouch, so despite of the condition quite a "good" ensemble.

Take special note of the "K" marking on the Glasvisier on the main tube. I have never seen this before, anyone an idea on the meaning?

Georg, thanks for the post. Yes I have seen the “K” marking and have it saved in photo references. I’m not sure what it may mean. But I think we should definitely record it when presented. It would be interesting to determine the percentage of recordings that have the marking.

As of right now I have 18 optics recorded ranging from 785-6000. They seem to be very evenly spaced through that range, I have a handful recorded for every thousand.

Out of all, the 'K' only seems to appear on scopes below 1541, the next highest scope I have is 2537 which is not "K" marked. While there is a substantial gap, it will be interesting to see how that mark presents on other early scopes. Possibly those under 2000 were engraved with it. Makes me wonder if these were the optics that were used for the original trial or maybe the first order of optics filled? Hard to say, I can't see any other way why only early optics would be marked like this. I wish someone had a set of an early and late scope for comparison.

Digging with Google it came up with scope #725. With some detailed playing around I got the attached better pics. It clearly shows that this scope also has the K marking. Maybe then a feature of early scopes. Do you have pictures of scope #785 to find out if this scope has these marking as well?

Attachments

• GlV_01.jpg
    GlV_01.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 24
  • GlV_02.jpg
    GlV_02.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 19
Digging with Google it came up with scope #725. With some detailed playing around I got the attached better pics. It clearly shows that this scope also has the K marking. Maybe then a feature of early scopes. Do you have pictures of scope #785 to find out if this scope has these marking as well?

Georg, It was a typo when I said 785 , I actually meant 725. Anyway, here is 1541, the only good photo I have of it.

jp-sauer-sohn-gewehr-98-sniper-rifle-with-detachable-zeiss-2-5x-monocular-optical-sight-that-su.jpeg

Very interesting! It then seems they continued the K to a higher serial as well. What is the lowest serial without the K marking you are aware of?

Military Rifle Journal
Back