Third Party Press

My first G43- QVE 45

mike44f

Hi all, I am new here but I finally found a K43 at a recent gun show. It’s a qve 45, but sadly post war re-barreled to 30.06. Stock is newer and it came with a repro scope and mount. I have since found an 8mm qve 45 barreled receiver with a bolt (electro stencil matched). The only parts I am missing to have both rifles complete is the bolt carrier and bolt housing. I currently have the bolt housing and bolt carrier from the 30.06 on the 8mm rifle until I can find another housing and carrier.

Has anyone else come across one chambered in 30.06? Only way that it was marked was the bolt carrier was ground down slightly and stamped with a “30-06” indication. Also the only 30.06 that I have found that will fit the G/K43 magazine is the American Eagle that is made for M1 Garands. The bullet head is shorter than most other 30.06 rounds Ive found.

I plan on getting the 8mm rifle as close to original as I can while using the shooters kit and a new spring kit.

For the 30.06 one, it chambers fine so I will see how she does on the lowest gas system insert and go from there. If I ever run across an original 8mm barrel I would love to have it back to its original self.

Extra: The 8mm is a D block and the 30.06 has no suffix after the SN. I am working on getting some picture to post

Are you sure it’s not a Brazilian M954? I’m unfamiliar with how they are marked but they are in 06.

I have seen at least one G/K43 converted to 30-06, I believe on this site.
However, it could be a Brazilian version as well.

Pictures say a thousand words.

So the one with the stock is the 8mm, and the one without is the 30.06. No like mentioned, the 30.06 marked carrier and the housing from the 30.06 chambered rifle is currently on the 8mm until I find a replacement carrier and housing.

Doubt that this means anything but the only marking on the 30.06 barrel is the number 301 and another 3 by itself. The 30.06 bolt carrier is also marked "301 a" with the waffenampt on top, looks like "214" but very hard to tell. Also the front sight of the 30.06 barrel has the "214" ampt with sight hood and a textured slant backing, the 8mm sight is unmarked and has a smooth slant backing to it with no hood.

Attachments

• G43.jpeg
    G43.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 53
  • G43-A.jpeg
    G43-A.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 46
  • G43-B.jpeg
    G43-B.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 33
  • G43-C.jpeg
    G43-C.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 38
  • G43-D.jpeg
    G43-D.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 43
  • G43-F.jpeg
    G43-F.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 34
  • G43-G.jpeg
    G43-G.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 25
  • G43-H.jpeg
    G43-H.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 29
  • G43-I.jpeg
    G43-I.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 24
And for anyone interested in "the story" behind this one I found originally in 30.06, saw it at a gunshow, initially thought it was a Hakim from a distance, and I have never seen a G43 at a gunshow before so my hopes weren't that high. Got up to it and saw the K43 marking and completely missed to 30.06 on the carrier (not noticeable with the sight on it and the bolt back). Price tag was $3,500... the owner sees me gawking over this thing and starts talking it up saying its a post war border guard rifle, hence the reason for the bipod. Said his daughter came across it through her job (funeral home director). I put it back and thanked him and walked off. I was there looking for AR parts and accessories and the only thing on my mind was that there's a G43 here and I wanted it. (Told a friend that the gun goal of the year was a G43 and damn it there it was). So after some haggling and a big trade of firearms she came home with me. I would say in total with what I paid for those guns I traded I got it for about $2600-$2800. While finishing up the trade Im thinking since he said post war border guard rifle, let me ask the caliber to be sure, and this is when I found it was 30.06. Wasn't such a huge flag for me so I proceeded with it. Then the itch to have an original 8mm got bad so I found the 8mm one and here I am now.

The mag is the "Made in Denmark" one and it cycles fine so far. Have not shot either of them as of yet. Still fine tuning and doing my research on them before I hit the range.

This is the pic of how I found it at the show.

Attachments

• G43-J.jpeg
    G43-J.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 53
Well I finally got the old guy out to the range. It shot well, only two hang ups (ammo/ light primer strike related). No ejection issues, no feed issues. I have it on the lowest gas port setting, gas system is shimmed and I didn’t notice the bolt carrier riding too far back agains the back of the housing. Didn’t shoot it too much. Just about 20 rounds total.

Military Rifle Journal
Back