Third Party Press
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flak 18 8.8 cm Xmas

Default Flak 18 8.8 cm Xmas

A big thanks to Pzjgr for making my Christmas this year. I've been looking for a nice 88mm shell to go with my helmet:
    http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....Regt-Named-KIA

Told Pzjgr, my ordnance guru, last year if he ever ran across one....and this is it. Most happy with it, original paint and finish. I think the reason for the nice original condition is explained by the stamp in the driving band, "VAARATON" which is Finnish for "harmless" or "inert". The Finnish military stamped this in ordnance that it released for civilian sale. That must have been long ago. The Finns used the German 88 for coastal artillery defense up until the 80s and live fire trained with original German WW2 ammunition. This is a ground HE round.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hambone; 12-05-2018 at 06:05 PM.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Very nice! Merry Christmas to you. I need one for the gun room.

Thank you My66. I think everyone needs at least one shell for the cave ;) I figured for me an 88 would be the one to have. The only other ordnance I have is a complete S-Mi.35 (bouncing Betty) and a 2 c.m. / 20mm AA round that a friend of my grandfather gave to me when I was a kid. I think the 88 and the S-Mine were the scariest things the Germans fielded in WW2.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Really nice. I would like to get one of those someday. So far I have a Panzer IV shell in the office for decoration.

Awesome shell Ham

Awesome shell HB, congratulations ! Pzjgr was instirimental in vetting the 88 I bought. The IV means it’s a heavier than standard round, the dimple on the bottom means fired and reloaded once, all learned from Pzjgr

Thanks Mauser. Y'alls discussion about yours was what caused me to step up my search for one. I didn't know that about the dimple stamped into the case head. Tks.
    Holding the projectile is scary when one thinks of that thing zipping along at 2,500 fps, about the velocity of a 7.92 rifle round, but weighing like 20 lbs.

Now THAT is a paperweight with substance! Very nice.
    In thanks for you all in the forums, I offer this, albeit small:
    If anyone has any questions regarding garage doors and openers, feel free to ask. Been working on them for 25 years.

Very nice Craig. A lot of 8.8 stuff has come from Finland. I also recently picked one up, same case manufacturer as yours, but 44. Also once fired. Could you post
    More Detail of any ink stamps on the projectile? I am restoring mine and am looking
    For originals to mimic.
    Looking for 10" cleaning rod, early style e/214 #91, nazi style e/26 #04

Thanks Andrew, I'd heard a good bit of 88 was from there, which makes sense as they used German WW2 stuff after the war, then would have surplussed it. The only ink stamp on the projectile is the "IV" for weight/heavy round. I see no evidence of any others, many stamps though, and it appears to certainly be the original paint.