Third Party Press

Flak 18 8.8 cm Xmas

Fuzing....there were two main fuzes by large caliber projectile HE rounds....the AZ 23 Series impact fuzes, and the ZZ (Zeit Zunder) mechanically timed fuzes. There were variations in the series, and there were other fuzes used, but these two type/series were used most of the time.

A word on the mechanically timed fuze....the Germans never developed a Proximity Fuze, like used by the allies. The mechanical time fuze depended on the input of a bunch of information into a mechanical computer (wind speed, direction, air density, altitude of targets, direction to targets, direction targets traveling, etc), which the computer then calculated gun laying info, and fuze timing...this info was fed to the guns, and set manually there. The 88 had a fuze setter with two wells (for two rounds at a time), the rounds were inserted noze first into the fuze setter and it automatically set it for the correct time.

If all that was successful the fuze would detonate the shell right amongst the bombers...however, I think it was something like every tenth of a second the time was off could cause a 50 foot discrepancy in height, so it didn't take much to make the flak burst too high or too low to be effective.

The proximity fuze acted like a small radar transmitter, with a battery operated transmitter and receiver within the fuze...when the onboard "radar" sensed it was close to the target, it would go off...taking the whole time element out of the equation, and making AA much more effective. If the Germans had developed an effective proximity fuze, the bombing campaign might have turned out a whole lot different.

So essentially, if the round was to be used for AA purposes, it would be fuzed with the time fuze...if it was to be used for ground combat, it would have the impact fuze....

Attachments

• 23 Series Fuzes.png
    23 Series Fuzes.png
    187.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 23 Series II.png
    23 Series II.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 23 Series III.png
    23 Series III.png
    127.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 23 Series IV.png
    23 Series IV.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 23 Series V.png
    23 Series V.png
    145.2 KB · Views: 14
  • ZZ 1.png
    ZZ 1.png
    138.6 KB · Views: 18
  • ZZ 2.png
    ZZ 2.png
    120 KB · Views: 22
  • ZZ 3.png
    ZZ 3.png
    156.6 KB · Views: 17
  • ZZ 4.png
    ZZ 4.png
    193.9 KB · Views: 17
Case is maker marked aue, which is Metall u. Eisen GmbH, Nuernberg...

I can't read the WaA off my pics, hopefully Ham will get a good pic...

Here is some info on cartridge cases....many German large cases (>20mm) are identified by a case number...for the 88, it was 6347. Earlier cases like Ham's 42 dated sometimes use the full designation, but it seems to be a manufacturer choice. In either case if it is followed by St, it is a steel case.

Included is a shot of my later case with the case number...

Attachments

• German Case Info.png
    German Case Info.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20181208_222824.jpg
    20181208_222824.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 28
I've learned more about the 8.8 cm shell in this thread than my entire life before this ;) Thanks Pzjgr.

Paul, see below. Looks like maybe WaA 81?

Attachments

• IMG_8157.jpg
    IMG_8157.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8158.jpg
    IMG_8158.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 17
waffenamt e/81 is rather important to rifle research, an old Simson waffenamt and often seen at rifle factories for early production. Probably a trainer ordnance inspector? There are 3 or 4 of these "roving" inspectors, which was more common early on.

Anyway, I try and trend waffenamts on weapons, Ken Huddle is working on a detailed study, or was, the more data available the better, especially for these lesser seen inspectors (ordnance on less accessible nature are more important, - we know rifle/small arms inspection thoroughly, the big stuff and ammunition often the most helpful due to the relative scarcity of observations.)

Priming....Basically the Germans used two types of primers, percussion for ground guns and artillery pieces, electrical for vehicle guns (and some larger caliber aircraft guns)....

US Tank guns are also electrically primed...in fact in case of a misfire on a main gun round (at least for the old M68E1 105mm gun) was to open the breech, rotate round 90 degrees, slap some spit on the primer, and try again...).

German primers were nice compact units that simply screwed into the case....

Again, the rounds for the Tiger I gun, and the FlaK guns were identical, cases, projectiles, all interchangeable (although you wouldn't find mechanical time fuzes on the Tiger rounds)...the only difference was type of primer...you want a Tiger round, but have a FlaK round? Swap the percussion primer for an electrical, and Bob's your Uncle, you have a Tiger round....

Attachments

• Priming1.png
    Priming1.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Priming2.png
    Priming2.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Priming3.png
    Priming3.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Priming4.png
    Priming4.png
    69.5 KB · Views: 14
waffenamt e/81 is rather important to rifle research, an old Simson waffenamt and often seen at rifle factories for early production. Probably a trainer ordnance inspector? There are 3 or 4 of these "roving" inspectors, which was more common early on.

Anyway, I try and trend waffenamts on weapons, Ken Huddle is working on a detailed study, or was, the more data available the better, especially for these lesser seen inspectors (ordnance on less accessible nature are more important, - we know rifle/small arms inspection thoroughly, the big stuff and ammunition often the most helpful due to the relative scarcity of observations.)

If it would be helpful, I can start going through all my ordnance, and record WaA along with Maker Marks for everything...identifying the location of the maker and matching up with the WaA's might be helpful...and the Germans tended to mark every piece of ordnance, the case, the projectile, the fuze, and the primer....so quite a bit of info could be gleaned from each round...

Yes, waffenamt along with dates and ordnance code would be helpful. The item is also relevant of course.

mainly keep in mind these things as you collect them, - I have learned over the last 20 plus years of researching and trending, it is rare for the effort to flesh out an extensive inventory to be justified, it can absorb massive amounts of time and ruin productivity focusing on a single project exclusively. I did a little of this for Mike and Bruce's book projects to flesh out a foundation of examples to come up with patterns, but generally I have a rule that when I want to know something or start a new project to just create spread sheets for that project and add new rifles as i come across them, - or if something justifies the effort, something unusual (new sub-contractor, a new waffenamt or deviation from normal) occurs then I may dig into earlier recordings to develop a firm or consistent pattern.

The ultimate goal being to see what is normal (not necessarily without exception), which helps to determine a pattern, which helps to determine if a rifle is a restoration or just a deviation (one offs are not common for most maker-dates)

Basically I mean do not spend a significant amount of time doing this, unless it interests you too. At one time every trend sheet I have started with "one" item.

Very good stuff, very technical stuff, shooting tables...artillery is actually a tremendously technical thing, lots of math, trig, and tables...everything based on weights of shells, input the wrong weight into your calcs, and your aim is way off...and firing near vertical at targets that are moving in three axis is even more technical and difficult...

The layman thinks you point your gun at the target, and fire, but the reality is it is super complicated and math intensive...factor in things like windspeed and direction changes at various altitudes, varying air density...then the even more esoteric intangibles, like the temperature of the powder in the case (the colder it is, the slower it burns, leading to lower muzzle velocity, so even that will effect aiming calculations), the amount of wear in the bore (based on how many rounds have been fired through the liner), barrel droop caused by heating of the barrel...its literally so complicated its amazing they can hit anything!

The manual I supplied you with is outstanding to understanding the entire 88 gun system, since its the US Army manual on it, and explains pretty much EVERYTHING...I printed that out and bound it so I can read at my leisure....I have one on the 10,5cm lFH too, but I can't find my pdf version....

Military Rifle Journal
Back