Third Party Press

Byf 43 help

Hello everyone,I have a question about a byf 43 k98 that I have an opportunity to purchase.I have a few low quality pictures of the rifle,my main concern is that the serial number on the buttstock has an extra 1 at the beginning.for instance the number on the receiver and all other parts is 1234 and the stock is 11234.could this be a armory replacement?any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4494.jpg
    IMG_4494.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4495.JPG
    IMG_4495.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4496.JPG
    IMG_4496.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4477.JPG
    IMG_4477.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 69
That stock number is Yugoslavian, along with the circle above it. Most likely someone added the stock later - the fact that it matches the number on the rifle may mean the gun is a postwar Yugo rework, but I don't think I've ever seen one with original German numbering, they scrubbed the majority of them. Anyway, it makes it a shooter grade gun and probably worth picking up if it's cheap enough.

Not clearly visible from those low quality pictures but stock and hand guard may have been shortened by 1/2" inch if the rifle has been rebarreled post war with an M48 or M24/47 barrel.

Thanks again

Thanks for the quick replys,I have not seen the rifle in person yet but from what I have been told all markings are intact and the barrel is original to the receiver.I will know more Sunday afternoon.if it's only the stock that incorrect what would be a fair price for it?

It all depends on what % of original parts match. If stock AND bands are wrong and/or trigger guard the price drop a lot. Can't even properly guess at this point.

Military Rifle Journal
Back