Third Party Press

bnz 44

futhark44

Hello, here is my K98k bnz44. Please take a look at my photos and write your impressions. I would like to know if it is original built or if there is something additionally changed (maybe fake). Let me know if you need more photos.
Basic configuration is: Serial on barrel and floor plate, unnumbered bands. No Eagle H on stock.
Thank you.

Last edited:
I moved your rifle to it's own thread as I feel it needs to be evaluated on it's own.

Before I give an opinion, could you post a photo of the right side of the receiver? Is it waffenamt inspected? I'm guessing it isn't.

Also, what inspections are on the bolt root?

It does look like that eh Farb. But before muttering the words best to see it all.

Right side looks blank to me from zooming in , numbered sear seems odd to me though if it’s a contract? But I’ll admit to not studying these much.

I moved your rifle to it's own thread as I feel it needs to be evaluated on it's own.

Before I give an opinion, could you post a photo of the right side of the receiver? Is it waffenamt inspected? I'm guessing it isn't.

HELLO,
Here are additional photos. Right and left side of the receiver are blank. You can also see the marking on the root of the bolt. Thank you very much. a

Last edited:
..a photo of the right side of the receiver? Is it waffenamt inspected? I'm guessing it isn't.

Yeah good stuff. V7 huh? Nice milled FP! What's the acceptance on that please?

HELLO,
Here are additional photos. Right and left side of the receiver are blank. You can also see the marking on the root of the bolt. Thank you very much.

Btw, I love this rifle. Thanks for sharing and congrats!

..some new photos (I believe it is enough now)

Yes perfect I see it now. Using the last of the Radom parts. That floor plate was hiding somewhere. Maybe on the floor behind the bench? Bottom of the bin?

The circle v7 stamp is on camp made receivers at Gusen. They were never Heer accepted which is why Mike said no RR.

When i first looked at the bolt, my instant reaction is that it's renumbered postwar. I've been trying to figure out why I think that, it's just that I have seen so many bnz bolts (both Heer and SS) that it just doesn't look correct. The stamps are too even and perfect, you hardly ever see that on a bnz bolt. Add to that someone has done other renumbering on the rifle - firing pin should have no number, sear and bolt release should have no number as well.

The barrel code on this rifle makes it difficult to place in order (I used bbl code to decide what time frame the rifle is to place it). There technically should not be an "AM" barrel code, BUT I have noted oddball codes such as this before, specifically "MA" shows up on my study I have here, and I suspect this is one of the barrels made at the start of barrel production at Gusen, based on the capital letter codes used there. With that, I believe that it places the rifle right in the spot where bnz43 receivers were being replaced with bnz44, but the Radom production had not yet moved to and taken over SS production at Gusen. So, I think unnumbered bands could be correct on this rifle even though it has a numbered barrel and floorplate number. No "Eagle H" would also be correct in this time frame. Even so, the wear/blue on the bands just doesn't seem right - stock number is perfectly correct, so I am guessing the bands are as well, but maybe refinished.

I just don't care for the bolt. Notice how the gas shield is worn to silver at the safety, but the safety root is dark blue. Usually these parts wear together.

A really nice original rifle still wearing the Steyr hood. Well done!

So now that you have declared the rifle original and the OP has gone on to proclaim to Slovakia, can you back it up? Just explain your position as to why it is original.

Is it just me but I think I see another set of numbers under the bolt numbers. Plus the way these numbers look they do not look like late Steyr numbering. Their usually pretty sloppy. My opinion someone took a bolt mismatch rifle and tried to make it an all matching rifle.

So now that you have declared the rifle original and the OP has gone on to proclaim to Slovakia, can you back it up? Just explain your position as to why it is original.

Thank you again. I compared this rifle with any other bnz44 rifles. When you said that the bolt was renumbered postwar I guess that the font of the numbers would be different. But I think the font is still the same as on any other bnz44 rifles.
Here is bnz44 with serial number 9874 currently offered on pre98.com. Please compare the numbers 98. According me the stamps are the same.
When you wrote that the bolt release was additionally numbered, there is also WaA 623 stamp. It is also additionally numbered or fake WaA?

Attachments

• bnz10-1024x684.jpg
    bnz10-1024x684.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 106
The 6 font is off more than the rest, whoever did this was a lot better with the fonts themselves rather than the typical hump jobs we see over here, they obviously had knowledge of SS contract weapons (leaving the bolt shroud unumbered) but missed the mark on the exact manor of serial application. Unfortunately Jordan is right, there are faint numbers scrubbed off the bolt, that’s not automatically a killer though as bolts were recycled, however not typically in this exact manor. The postwar Czech bolt shroud seals the deal as the killer however. The milling on both the shroud and the cocking piece are typical of Czech parts, and I have to imagine the entire bolt is likely a postwar Czech use item, leftovers of their ww2 production. Maybe someone who collects Czech rifles can confirm the triangle marking as another indicator? Lastly the bolt back half shows signs of artificial aging/wear and is certainly not commensurate with the rest of the BR aging, there is also rounding of the number die strikes etc. I cannot comment on the barrel bands as I don’t follow SS contracts enough to give an opinion on that aspect.

Last edited:

Not my first bad call Mr Farb and probably not my last. But I still like the hood. LOL

I am getting weird feelings about the bolt. Something is just off about it. When it comes to German rifles, once I see on obvious mistake (like a numbered bolt release in this case) I ask myself, What else did they do to fake this rifle? Usually you will start finding more issues. Someone here taught me that and it has served me well.

Military Rifle Journal
Back