Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: G.29/40 660 1940 (pics)

Saw one almost identical in an antique shop near Philly years ago, knew I should get it, but it was $600 at the time. A question on this one. I see a dot mark on the stock, is this a brno replacement, or am I missing something?
    John

Quote Originally Posted by johnstanley View Post
    Saw one almost identical in an antique shop near Philly years ago, knew I should get it, but it was $600 at the time. A question on this one. I see a dot mark on the stock, is this a brno replacement, or am I missing something?
    John
    Its not a replacement. Brunn I supplied stocks are not uncommon common on early Steyrs. I believe both companies were entangled in the massive Reichswerke Hermann Göring congolmerate at the time.

Brno (dot) stocks range on Steyr rifles 1941-1942, they are commonly found on G29/40's but it is hard to tell "exactly" when these were assembled. The date on these is not the assembly date. They were made 1940-1942, - and most were actually made (delivered) in 1941.

The Reichswerke owned both Steyr and Brno during this time frame that you see these dot stocks. Steyr was taken during 1938, after some wrangling with Austrian banks, Brno took longer, sometime in 1940-41 as I recall, but they had significant influence much earlier. The Reichswerke regurgitated both firms in 1942, or there about, but were officially kept on the books because no one wanted to buy them.

Who can blame them... Steyr was neck deep in slave labor, and the ss were running around both firms like, well, ss lunatics. Both bad for business, - such as existed in Germany 1943-1945.

Technically Speer's ministry ran them both, but after 1942, the relationship between the two firms ended and so did the cooperation (Steyr passed its MG34 program to Brno when they went to the MG42)

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default WaA report with G20/40

Here is a WaA report on deliveries from mid-1940. Note the shipments and months for G29/40.

Pretty cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bruce98k; 10-31-2011 at 09:26 PM.
    ---- Turbo Myš ----

That is a great document Bruce! Note that the G33/40 is listed as for "Gibirgstruppen"
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Those are some round numbers...

**--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **Wanted - Original un-dicked with late Steyr (bnz45) stock... Long shot but......
    ** --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by bruce98k View Post
    Here is a WaA report on deliveries from mid-1940. Note the shipments and months for G29/40.

Pretty cool.
    Great info Bruce! Note the date pencilled inside the stock well, which corresponds to the docs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hambone; 05-28-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Default Great evidence

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Great info Bruce! Note the date pencilled inside the stock well, which corresponds to the docs. Note: Not my foot in the shot, original pics from seller (a fine fellow).
    Great evidence/support and a toe jam to boot......

Do you have the figures for 1941 and 1942?

Quote Originally Posted by bruce98k View Post

Pretty cool.

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default Data

Paul posted new data up and started a new thread as I will likely get more material from Jon and that
    makes it easier to separate that as a unique data posting.
    ---- Turbo Myš ----