Third Party Press

Question on M71 Rifle marking

11mm

I have an M71 Mauser made by Amberg with a low number (2106) which is marked as made and issued in 1877. Where this rifle differs from others I own and have seen is that it bears no royal cipher, just the Arsenal name and crown. I have seen a lot of other rifles over the years and all seem to be marked with some King's initials, and Amberg rifles I have seen have always been marked for Ludwig II of Bavaria, though I know Amberg also made rifles for other kingdoms in the German Empire, according to Storz Is it unusual to have an M71 marked without a royal cipher, or is it just that I have not seen enough of these rifles to know that?
Also, it has stock markings in the usual places. Can one determine the issuing kingdom from the stock markings?
The rifle has no regimental marking on the butt plate. It has all matching numbers except for two screws and the butt plate.
Just curious...

If you look at our research project on the M71 & 71/84, you will notice a whole slew Amberg/77's with no cypher.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?20831-RESEARCH-PROJECT-Mod-71-and-Mod-71-84-Craig-Brown

1875, 1876 typically have the cypher for Prussia - but for whatever reason, Bavaria didn't generally use Ludwig II's cypher until 1878. Apparently, the first year Amberg made the 71 for Bavaria (1877), they didn't cypher the rifles. Ludwig was a strange bird, he wasn't especially interested in governing, maybe he didn't care or didn't approve? His legacy is one of art and culture, not Prussia's legacy of domination and war.

If you look at our research project on the M71 & 71/84, you will notice a whole slew Amberg/77's with no cypher.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?20831-RESEARCH-PROJECT-Mod-71-and-Mod-71-84-Craig-Brown

1875, 1876 typically have the cypher for Prussia - but for whatever reason, Bavaria didn't generally use Ludwig II's cypher until 1878. Apparently, the first year Amberg made the 71 for Bavaria (1877), they didn't cypher the rifles. Ludwig was a strange bird, he wasn't especially interested in governing, maybe he didn't care or didn't approve? His legacy is one of art and culture, not Prussia's legacy of domination and war.
that
Thank you. I guess I should have looked. For some reason, I thought nobody would have addressed that particular issue. I was wrong. I guess I will dig deeper (here) in the future.

Military Rifle Journal
Back