Third Party Press

Hugh Brock Collection

RavenOps

I was going through some old photos and ran across a few from the late Hugh Brock. Mr. Brock, and his lovely wife Mary, were very good to me over the years. After he passed, his wife sold the collection and moved away. I exchange emails with here from time to time.

This is a portion of the collection. He had collected for over 55 year and had one of the finest collections, and he only collected the very best. You can see the STG in one of the photos leaning against the wall, but unfortunately I don't have photos of the entire collection. Some of his sniper rifles were a work of art.

Sorry for the photos going sideways, it auto uploaded this way to the forum.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 276
  • Brock 8.jpg
    Brock 8.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 282
  • Brock 1.jpg
    Brock 1.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 248
  • Brock 2.jpg
    Brock 2.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 234
  • Brock 3.jpg
    Brock 3.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 230
  • Brock 4.jpg
    Brock 4.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 224
  • Brock 5.jpg
    Brock 5.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 204
  • Brock 6.jpg
    Brock 6.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 204
  • Brock 7.jpg
    Brock 7.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
reminder

I have several rifles he owned..a reminder than we are only temporary caretakers. I often wonder in a hundred years who will own my stuff...

I own one of his rifles. My AX 1940 I bought off him in 2016. Was really happy to see it in the k98k vol ll book series. Came as a shock to me when I saw it in the book. Little surprise from Mike and Bruce for me!

Have a number of items purchased from Hugh over the years. A pleasure to work with and a very knowledgable gentleman. Another loss to the hobby .....

Wow. I don't own any of his guns but it looks like I wish I did!
I tried to straighten out some of the photos.

Attachments

• attachment1.jpg
    attachment1.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 118
  • attachment3.jpg
    attachment3.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 98
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 96
  • attachment2.jpg
    attachment2.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 108
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 90
Stunningly nice. I too was able to purchase some rifles from Mr Brock over the years. He will be missed.
Ken

This rifle is still one of the most prized K98k pieces in my collection from Mr.Brock's collection. Took me years to get one of these to find without problems. Glad to see he made that endeavor possible. This is what I remember telling him and his reply to me. "You know this took me four years too find a nice AX 1940. Well it took me 20 years now enjoy that rifle as much as I did!" We both got a good laugh. I'll be honest was very happy to see much of his collection go to members here.

I do hope his wife is doing well she was very pleasant to deal with. I could see why they were both great to deal with at the shows.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?21166-2016-SOS-show-AX-1940-find

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 62
This rifle is still one of the most prized K98k pieces in my collection from Mr.Brock's collection. Took me years to get one of these to find without problems. Glad to see he made that endeavor possible. This is what I remember telling him and his reply to me. "You know this took me four years too find a nice AX 1940. Well it took me 20 years now enjoy that rifle as much as I did!" We both got a good laugh. I'll be honest was very happy to see much of his collection go to members here.

I do hope his wife is doing well she was very pleasant to deal with. I could see why they were both great to deal with at the shows.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?21166-2016-SOS-show-AX-1940-find

Very nice. Thanks for showing.

Hugh and Mary were always very good to me. Used to go to Atlanta for work training, and went there for years. I own a very nice 1936 S/147 that came out of his collection. It was on layaway when he passed away. Mary sent it to me without if being fully paid off. Of course I paid the balance, but that is how they were.
First time I ever went to their shop in 2001, it was close to closing, they knew I was from out of town. They invited me to dinner and see his collection, and they had not know me very long at all. Just good people!

Hugh and Mary were always very good to me. Used to go to Atlanta for work training, and went there for years. I own a very nice 1936 S/147 that came out of his collection. It was on layaway when he passed away. Mary sent it to me without if being fully paid off. Of course I paid the balance, but that is how they were.
First time I ever went to their shop in 2001, it was close to closing, they knew I was from out of town. They invited me to dinner and see his collection, and they had not know me very long at all. Just good people!
m\ny o

May he RIP.

He was at many of my local shows, Greenville, ATL, etc.. He was at NGD/SOS. I talked with him often for over 20 years.I looked at his LSR, after he looked at me like I was unworthy. He had seen me for many years, if he cared to notice, and I averaged $10K in pocket at the average show. He looked at me like dirt. I may have looked like a commoner but I had cash. The majority knew me, apparently he did not care to. How somebody treats me counts so I can not agree this big build up, even if he has passed. He had some good stuff, especially in his own collection but what he sold was a little less glorious IMO. Like any other seller, the items had good and bad, buy the gun not the story or the based on the seller. When somebody treats me like a commoner and with disrespect over 20 years, and ignores me with $10K in my pocket, matters. Actions have consequences. JMO.

Last edited:
m\ny o

May he RIP.

He was at many of my local shows, Greenville, ATL, etc.. He was at NGD/SOS. I talked with him often for over 20 years.I looked at his LSR, after he looked at me like I was unworthy. He had seen me for many years, if he cared to notice, and I averaged $10K in pocket at the average show. He looked at me like dirt. I may have looked like a commoner but I had cash. The majority knew me, apparently he did not care to. How somebody treats me counts so I can not agree this big build up, even if he has passed. He had some good stuff, especially in his own collection but what he sold was a little less glorious IMO. Like any other seller, the items had good and bad, buy the gun not the story or the based on the seller. When somebody treats me like a commoner and with disrespect over 20 years, and ignores me with $10K in my pocket, matters. Actions have consequences. JMO.

Mike,

I can’t disagree with anything you say. As a matter of fact, I too, had some difficulty with the man. Until, that is, I got to see who he truly was. He shared some personal experiences with me that led me to understand his personality. Mary made him a better man to the end.

..I'll be honest was very happy to see much of his collection go to members here.

I do hope his wife is doing well

Yes brother very nice to see collections go to collectors. That guy got some smoking rifles. Not a hater either. :thumbsup:

This rifle is still one of the most prized K98k pieces in my collection http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?21166-2016-SOS-show-AX-1940-find

I must say neither of mine are as nice but you caused me to first appreciate these. The finish quality is high as is the blue and they made all (most) everything in house.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?23015-1940-Erma-e-block&highlight=Erma

My first 'real' rifle. Still one of my favs despite the JPS bolt m/m. Of course e/37 butt plate and band spring. Probably some drop contract or an apparatchik. I can honestly see an early party adopter wielding influence to get a small part made for a higher cost at their steel stamping mill up the Lenne from Altena.

Mike,

I can’t disagree with anything you say. As a matter of fact, I too, had some difficulty with the man. Until, that is, I got to see who he truly was. He shared some personal experiences with me that led me to understand his personality. Mary made him a better man to the end.

We did become friendly his last two years. A friend, who is a director of the SCGCA, sold him a rare rapid acquisition sight rifle. We became somewhat friendly thereafter.

I have always had a problem with sellers who treat me as if I am too poor to deal with. It really pushes my buttons. They lost a lot of sales. Maybe I should wear a suit? I often look like I do not have a pot to pee in, not exactly a nice dresser. I guess I should make more effort to make a good first impression.

He had an awesome collection. I wanted his K43 sniper. The LSR was not so good.

Hugh and Mary were always very good to me. I own a very nice 1936 S/147 that came out of his collection. It was on layaway when he passed away. Mary sent it to me without if being fully paid off. Of course I paid the balance, but that is how they were.

That is nice!!!!! Wow.

Not making excuses for anyone, but sometimes selling guns just gets to a person. When someone walks up to your stuff, handles it for a while and leaves kinda takes a lot out of someone. Then a real buyer walks up, a seller just doesn’t know they are a buyer but thinks they will have to go through it all over again probably just takes a lot out of people sometimes. Maybe that was what he was going through? Unless he did it all the time which this wouldn’t explain.

Been selling military rifles as a hobby for years and have learned never ever judge someone by the way they look or the way they are dressed. You just never know. A good collector friend of mine told me just at the last OGCA show a gentleman came by his table with muddy jeans and a shirt that was well worn. You wouldn't think the guy has $2 in his pocket. Turn's out he spent well over $2000 at his table. He was polite to him and was happy to make his buyer happy with his purchase's. That has been my motto for years and have had many good dealings with folks some I'm happy to call friends.

On a side note I was judged really bad 6 years back when I was looking for my first matching G/K43. I asked a seller at a small show if he had one for sale because he had one in a display rack. He paid me no attention and kept talking to one his friend's. I asked again if he had one for sale becasue I was in the market for one. He looked at me laughing and said "Son go away you have champagne taste on a beer budget and you are not even worth my time." Of course I was young at the time just turned 22. Anyone I took one look at him pulled out $4,000 out of my pocket. And said "well I had enough money to buy one. But I wouldn't give you one damn penny of this money even if you sold me one, and would rather go spend it on beer and hookers instead of giving it to you! I then told him to have a nice day and walked away he wasn't laughing anymore either.

Military Rifle Journal
Back