Third Party Press

Hugh Brock Collection

Been selling military rifles as a hobby for years and have learned never ever judge someone by the way they look or the way they are dressed. You just never know. A good collector friend of mine told me just at the last OGCA show a gentleman came by his table with muddy jeans and a shirt that was well worn. You wouldn't think the guy has $2 in his pocket. Turn's out he spent well over $2000 at his table. He was polite to him and was happy to make his buyer happy with his purchase's. That has been my motto for years and have had many good dealings with folks some I'm happy to call friends.

On a side note I was judged really bad 6 years back when I was looking for my first matching G/K43. I asked a seller at a small show if he had one for sale because he had one in a display rack. He paid me no attention and kept talking to one his friend's. I asked again if he had one for sale becasue I was in the market for one. He looked at me laughing and said "Son go away you have champagne taste on a beer budget and you are not even worth my time." Of course I was young at the time just turned 22. Anyone I took one look at him pulled out $4,000 out of my pocket. And said "well I had enough money to buy one. But I wouldn't give you one damn penny of this money even if you sold me one, and would rather go spend it on beer and hookers instead of giving it to you! I then told him to have a nice day and walked away he wasn't laughing anymore either.

LOL! Nicely played. Us old farts can get crotchedy at times. Some of the best and most devoted collectors I know in Texas are still under 30!

Never judge the book by its cover. I was a flight instructor in Odessa, TX years ago. A farmer who really looked the part wandered in one day and wanted to talk about learning to fly. He really looked down on his luck. Turned out he did farm, but the real money was coming from the oil under his land. He bought a brand new Cessna 172 to learn in, and paid for it with cash in a paper bag. I taught him to fly that airplane.

Military Rifle Journal
Back