Third Party Press
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AR 42 Matching Near Mint

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

So apparently I'm addicted to trying to nug out steel mills? Anyway 'SilesiaStahl' is tough. I'm still thinking it's a 'trade name' for a type of alloyed barrel steel. Naming barrel steels was a common marketing ploy in the pre and inter-war years. Here's another thing to ponder based on this mechanical calendar. It certainly appears to me the corporate name is small under the banner.

https://blogs.fco.gov.uk/leighturner...-silesiastahl/
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

I also found this I wonder if anyone can help with ID? Are these a locally awarded badge for service guarding the SilesiaStahl Werke? Sure seems like it to me. 4" x 6". Wall hangers? From warrelics.eu

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/art-de...plaque-598023/

I'd love if Stephan took a peek.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Silesia is the latin name of Schlesien and Silesiastahl is the trade name of the ironworks company.

"Im Glauben an Deutschland werden wir das Schicksal meistern - In faith in Germany we will master destiny" is a saying by Adolf Hitler and it was used as the weekly quotation of the NSDAP from 2 - 8.July 1939. Unfortunately the size isn't mentioned in the thread and you could think it's a wall hanger. I think it could be a commemorative plate, as example the workers who build the Reichskanzlei (Reich Chancellery) got a similar plate in a presentation box. It could be a commemorative plate to factory workers who has been drafted for military service.

Regards,
    Stephan

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57IS View Post
    ..Silesiastahl is the trade name of the ironworks company.
    Thanks, similar to say 'sheetrock' which is USG trade name for the product line and trade mark for gypsum wall board? I had a feeling that was their high grade steel like the earlier StyrianStahl which was a popular blade quality steel.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57IS View Post
    ..the size isn't mentioned in the thread and you could think it's a wall hanger. I think it could be a commemorative plate
    Later he says they're 4" x 6" so definitely a wall hanger commemorative plate.

There's nothing wrong to know who did the steel lots or the steel mills for barrel production. I think it can be an interesting study heavy mech. As of now I've been studying Gustloff production barrels lately. That manufacturer seems to be the most interesting when it comes to barrels. I would love to find a bcd with a Dutch made barrel one day but those are quite rare and sought-after by collectors. I do hope to add a late made Gustloff k98k rifle with the mg-15 barrel as well.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1354 View Post
    ..who did the steel lots or the steel mills for barrel production. I think it can be an interesting study..
    ..I've been studying Gustloff production barrels lately. That manufacturer seems to be the most interesting
    It's funny that's kind of what started it. As you know there's a fair amount of info about many of the Gustloff suppliers and their former lines of business in period trade papers and periodicals. As you work into the more obscure steel suppliers there is less information to be had. I really liked the look of that mechanical calendar and things like that fuel my interest.