Third Party Press

Chrome plated G43 "parade rifle"

Jackmx95

I have the opportunity to buy a Gewehr 43 that has been chrome plated for a good price, its my understanding that no government purposfully chrome plated these and used them despite what a seller might say. It looks like a sanded and chromed rifle, perhaps done by a returning GI or there relative . I would just like to hear what the community has to say.

Some weapons were chromed or nickel plated by GIs or later owners after the war, so it is probably the case here.

Jack

I saw chrome plated G/K43's in Egypt used buy the honor guard at capital. That was back in the 50's when the Honor guard also had German style black uniforms and wore German WWII helmets and high leather boots. The officers looked like they were wearing reissued SS uniforms as they were black with silver trim. Harry

Thanks for the input guys, so it sounds like they were used in egypt as chromed rifles, hard to prove this rifle is one of those without any authenticating paperwork sadly. A gentleman on gunbroker is trying to sell a chromed G43 rifle for 3500 and cant be reasoned with it seems.

That one has been on there for quite a while.

What is his resoning for it being so high? That price tag is ridiculous.

Last edited:
You can take it to a chrome plater, and have it reversed...

I did that with a pair of Jap 25mm Hotchkiss HE rounds I found at a gunshow that were chromed...

Took it to a small local place that did chrome plating, they reversed it, and took the chrome off.

Worked perfect, and took a $25 each gunshow find and turned them into $125 each round....worth the $25 they charged me to do it...

Maybe worth a try, at the very least it could be parted out...how's the stock? How badly sanded?

You can take it to a chrome plater, and have it reversed...

I did that with a pair of Jap 25mm Hotchkiss HE rounds I found at a gunshow that were chromed...

Took it to a small local place that did chrome plating, they reversed it, and took the chrome off.

Worked perfect, and took a $25 each gunshow find and turned them into $125 each round....worth the $25 they charged me to do it...

Maybe worth a try, at the very least it could be parted out...how's the stock? How badly sanded?

Oh that stock has been super glossed over and stained. It’s a piece of furniture now.

Oh that stock has been super glossed over and stained. It’s a piece of furniture now.

Well, that kind of sucks....well, if the price is real right, I'd buy, try and de-chrome it, and parts it out, but it would have to be dirt cheap...

There is a chromed helmet for sale to go with it. Was posted on the WWII Weapons Forum. It would one heck of a set!!:facepalm:

Oh yes the stock looks like it has an inch thick layer of gloss coated over it, as for his reasoning, none whatsoever why you would insist on a price point where it hasnt sold for eons and valuble funds are tied up is beyond me. The de chroming suggestion is quite interesting i wasnt aware that service was so affordable, even so god only knows what the insides of that "parade rifle" look like.

It's your money but for that kind of coin you could do well for an original more correct example and not spend any money on de chroming

Military Rifle Journal
Back