Third Party Press

bnz 44 Single Claw

Hello mr roberts, may I ask you if the ribbed shaft cap (buckplate) on the bnz with the single claw assembly was common? And one more question please. What does the inside of the buckplate look like? Is that smooth or even fluted?
With kind regards

The manufacturers of Single Claws, High Turrets and Long Side Rails all started using the checkered butt plates around the same time frame. This d block Single Claw does have a checkered butt plate and on the inside the same pattern is found.

Hello mr roberts, may I ask you if the ribbed shaft cap (buckplate) on the bnz with the single claw assembly was common? And one more question please. What does the inside of the buckplate look like? Is that smooth or even fluted?
With kind regards

It was common for the 1944 Produced Single Claw Sniper Rifles to have Checkered Butt Plates . But the 1943 Produced Single Claw Rifles would likely all have regular/smooth type Cupped Butt Plates . I have added Pics showing both Reproduction and Original Checkered Butt Plates .

You should be aware that there is at least 4 types or more of Reproduction Checkered Butt Plates made .

Attachments

• 100_0371_copy.jpg
    100_0371_copy.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 61
  • bpinside.jpg
    bpinside.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Dave, I haven’t found the smoking gun yet, but digging through the Steyr reports last year I found an undated shipping report from SDP listing a small quantity of 98’s being delivered to Mahrholdt. I tried to back date the document by studying the receiving units that are listed. One was rather helpful, the 11th Fallschirmjager Division is listed as a recipient at the same time, and they were not even formed until March of 1945. While other scenarios certainly exist, it is indeed thought provoking as to why Mahrholdt was receiving K98’s at this late date.

sc scope 6711h

I wish that I had seen the SC scope Rifle numbered 6711 H that sold a few years back, as my rifle is numbered 5711 d . Regards Dave Gill

Single Claw

Hello ,

I've seen a single claw Montage on a K98 that did not have a number at all. 2. WK. Also no stamp. Is that possible ? Was in a museum of military history and the museum director is convinced of the originality. Is this possible?

Best regards :hail:

I never say never, but most likely a reproduction post war set of rings. Could also be a set of armourers spare, but not as likely.

Hello ,

I've seen a single claw Montage on a K98 that did not have a number at all. 2. WK. Also no stamp. Is that possible ? Was in a museum of military history and the museum director is convinced of the originality. Is this possible?

Hi Martin
Tell me is this the SC Your Referring too and was the SC You are referring to at a Austrian Museum ????? .

Attachments

• bnz_SC_1.jpg
    bnz_SC_1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 49
  • bnz_SC_2.jpg
    bnz_SC_2.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 53
  • bnz_SC_3.jpg
    bnz_SC_3.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 55
  • bnz_SC_4.jpg
    bnz_SC_4.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 48
I guess you are referring to the rifle DaveR posted pictures of ... more of this museum here: https://militaermuseum.wordpress.com/bilder/

To the item: the Militärmuseum Sonntagberg does have some good items, but their SC is not among them. The owner is however always convinced of his items.

Edit: found some more pics of this Museum online, in case someone wants to "digitally visit" it please visit http://www.modellbaukeller.at/Galerien/Reise/180818_Militärmuseum_Sonntagberg_NÖ/index.html

Last edited:
Hello ,

Its at a Austian Museum as Georg mentions !!!!!! If this is the SC Your actually referring to , My answer is NO I do not believe this SC is Original . In fact I believe the Bases & Rings on this Rifle are most likely Reproductions that were made by Robert Spielauer and put on this Rifle as a Representative Piece for the owners Museum , I am not saying the owner of Museum put the SC together but someone did and IMO its not an Original UnFinished SC.

Single Claw

Hello, yes I have seen this montage in the said museum. Whether it is the rifle in the photos I can not say, however, a scope is mounted. Thanks for the answers.

Best regards

Hello, yes I have seen this montage in the said museum. Whether it is the rifle in the photos I can not say, however, a scope is mounted. Thanks for the answers.

Best regards

Which Scope is NOW on the Rifle ????? .

Single Claw

Hello Mister. Roberts

I do not know which scope is now mounted. If I go back to the museum I'll look.

regards :hail:

Military Rifle Journal
Back