Third Party Press

bnz 44 Single Claw

Can you post pics of the stock numbers? The numbers you mention are typical for bcd produced stocks, along with others. They usually do conincide with a date- that one appears to me to be 40 dated, but pics would tell.

Pics will take a few days. I am busy at work.. However, my description is accurate. The numbers read from left to right under the barrel except for the 28. The number 28 is written in a smaller font size in between this list of numbers and the serial number. The number 28 is also written perpendicular to this line of numbers. 1940 would not necessarily fit the profile. There is a 42 in the list of numbers as well. The C coded stocks were made by a subcontractor according to my info. Also, the 40 is not stamped on top of receiver. It is stamped on the receiver below the stock line. The top of receiver is covered with a scope mount. Standby for pictures.

Hercules
It would be great to get as many pics of the SC as Possible Scope Ser# Mount Bases all Numbered Parts a hard Sniper to find is it all matching Optics also . Best regards Dave . I will Post Pics of my Matching SC later today .

Here are the Pics of My SC Sniper Rifle

Attachments

• DSC02924.jpg
    DSC02924.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC02925.jpg
    DSC02925.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC02926.jpg
    DSC02926.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC02927.jpg
    DSC02927.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC02929.jpg
    DSC02929.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 258
  • DSC02930.jpg
    DSC02930.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC02931.jpg
    DSC02931.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC02934.jpg
    DSC02934.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 368
  • DSC02935.jpg
    DSC02935.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC02936.jpg
    DSC02936.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 258
  • DSC02939.jpg
    DSC02939.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC02944.jpg
    DSC02944.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC02945.jpg
    DSC02945.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC02947.jpg
    DSC02947.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC02948.jpg
    DSC02948.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 187
Dave,

I really enjoyed the pictures of your rifle. It looks like an excellent example that has not been tampered with. My rifle is all original/matching including: front/rear bands, stock, scope mounts attached to rifle, bolt, safety, cocking piece, floor plate, and receiver. The only thing that is not original/matching is the scope rings. The scope rings are a reproduction of the originals. The reproduction scope rings look just like the originals. If I could find originals even with a different serial number I would put them on the scope. The original scope rings were not available. My bmj scope is original with a serial number of 85229 with a recoil ring installed. The rifle serial number of 3995d is close to yours. My rifle does not have a checkered butt plate. The rifle I have has about the same over all patina that yours has. When I get a chance I will put the pictures on here if you want to see them. Thanks.

Would like very much to see Your SC , One thing about Your BMJ its most probable Originally off a Long Side Rail Band Type Mount as it should not have a recoil ring but no big deal until You can find an Original set of Rings and Scope . I have one in My Scope & Mount collection but would not part with it as it is Interesting Varient , Early model BMJ in 66,000 Ser range but with later Varient Turret & Dial will Post Pics later . Thank for Compliments on my SC Guy`s . Very Best Regards to All

Dave,

It sounds like you have been studying these rifles for a while so I am sure that I am not bringing up new information. It seems that there are a lot of different variations in these rifles. If you look in Senich's book, The German Sniper, there are a couple single claw sniper rifles that have recoil rings on the scopes. It seems appropriate to me since the scope rings are a friction fit (like the long side rail) and not soldered on like the turret mount. I know there is differing opinions on this matter. It seems to me that if a scope was available and you were building a rifle for utility use (like war time production) you would pick a scope that does the job disregarding a variation in production. I am not saying you are wrong, but I think that recoil ring or not, does not matter. Unfortunately there is not a whole lot of official German documentation concerning this. There are only pictures in the Senich book. The scope I have does look like those pictures in the Senich book and seems correct for the gun. Thanks.

Hercules I do understand what Your saying and Your thoughts giving the sittuation of the War for the Germans . the thing is I do not agree with this senario not when it comes to Sniper Rifles the Germans used Specific Scopes for Specific Models of Sniper Rifles and have access to Scopes really
was not a problem . As per SC in Senich I know how and why that Scope ended up on that SC Rifle
It was put on Post War . I talk with the Original owner a few years back . And the other problem with that senerio is that scope falls into the LSR Scope Serial Range not SC Serial Range . But either way
I do agree that we can agree to disagree . Still like to see Pics of Your SC Rifle . Best Regards Dave

Hi Hercules
There are Two different Models of the BMJ Scope used on the SC the Two Piece and Three Piece and also used was Zeiss Zielvier of these I know of are in 79 , 81 , 82,000 Ser# Range and not well known either is it Possible Your Scope Original yes I would be foolish to say no , but if You follow the Pattern I say no but I just do not know and not going to split hairs trying to do so its fruitless . I to respect Your thoughts and opinion . I have learned to never say never , So never say never I have proven and been proven wrong a few times so not worth it . Would be great to see some Photos of your SC if you wish to Post them . Will post pics of different SC Scopes used .There is Two Piece BMJ , Two Piece BMJ with Second Varient Turret & Dial , Three Piece BMJ and Zeiss Zielvier SC Type of the SC Zeiss seen all markings have been Identical to these shown . Best Regards Dave

Attachments

• !BVHm,oQ!2k~$(KGrHgoOKjkEjlLm(yt(BKQ56O7d1!~~_0.jpg
    !BVHm,oQ!2k~$(KGrHgoOKjkEjlLm(yt(BKQ56O7d1!~~_0.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 367
  • !BVHlmOQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKj8EjlLmUE61BKQ53l(64w~~_0.jpg
    !BVHlmOQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKj8EjlLmUE61BKQ53l(64w~~_0.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 359
  • !BVHlr7!BGk~$(KGrHgoOKkMEjlLmV,uSBKQ5333Yi!~~_0.jpg
    !BVHlr7!BGk~$(KGrHgoOKkMEjlLmV,uSBKQ5333Yi!~~_0.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC02569.jpg
    DSC02569.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC02575.jpg
    DSC02575.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC02577.jpg
    DSC02577.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC02579.jpg
    DSC02579.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 140
  • sc1.jpg
    sc1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 139
  • sc9.jpg
    sc9.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 109
First off You need to remember when Senich & Law wrote there Books info was very limited and not as now with the Computer age , I do have an Original Photo of a SC with Zeiss Zielvier .I know of Two matching SC with Zeiss Zielvier Scopes and about 5 or 6 Scopes all are Identical one I pictured and in Specific Ser# Range . Photo Added

Attachments

• BMJ-SC.jpg
    BMJ-SC.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 113
See if You can Post some Pics of it and get Scope Ser# if Possible . Take a look and record Every SC with BMJ You see . all I have seen with the BMJ is in 75,000 Ser# range and most Every BMJ with Recoil Ring has been in 85,000 Ser# Range and on LSR Rifles . A period Pic of SC and BMJ with recoil would put this to rest real Quick , Again I won`t say never but evidence to date say no at least what I have seen . As Yourself Hercules I use to think the same Very strongly until I was shown a number of different Ser# studies that showed other wise and what I mention to You now .

Dave,

I will talk to my friend in May about the scope numbers on his rifle. Pictures will be up to him. As far as period pics of a single claw, I will keep looking. I understand the need to categorize and look for similiarities, but I do not think it is possible in all cases to narrow the possibilities to such a narrow range. Talk to you later. Thanks.

You know that was my thought also was when I said I need to find a Pic of a SC Rifle with Zeiss and then after a good No# of Years one showed Up . So I think it is Possible for a Pic of Sc with BMJ and Recoil Ring to surface . But again the Ser No# studies show other wise . And most of the SC `s that have shown up show that they were Produced about Late 42 , 43 , 44 have not seen any 45`s to date . Then again You can never tell what may surface . If You can get pics please post them may show something new . but see if You can get a Total Pic Package like mine or Yours this will help alot

Is that stock correct on Hercules rifle?

It looks like a JPS stock with the wrong Heer stamp..

????

Not sure need more Pics . Hercules ,can You post Pics of Stock side Proofs and Stock Ser# . Does it match Rec. Ser#

Wow

Dave,

Your rifle is stunning. Never saw one that I thought was good like this one.
Great pics of the important parts. I think I am coming for a visit !

:jaw::hail:

I'm not liking that stock- Steyr never used that type of Eagle H in any year of production, and the code you show in the stock channel is typical for JP Sauer and Gustloff - but it decodes as : Na (blank supplier) 6 (unknown code) 40 (month of production) 42 (year of production). That stock would be good for a 1942-43 JP Sauer, so that is most likely what it came from in my opinion, especially with the small takedown disc. I don't like the C proof myself, the C proof is actually a stylized C instead of a block C like that, and is never accompanied by a Wa37 (the waffenamt for JP Sauer stocks). The bands look correct, along with the bolt though.

Archie,my stock has the typical steyr eagle/h .I.E.tiny H,.I believe Hercules stock is a replacement.The stock should also have a checkered buttplate.Bud

Military Rifle Journal
Back