Third Party Press

Thread: G-41 band construction?

Default G-41 band construction?

So Iíve got a 41 project going but do not have any barrel bands yet. I am contemplating making some and so I started looking around and now have some questions on the upper bands. The lower bands are all stamped end of story, BUT the upper bands appear to have some inconsistencies. Having handled few examples at most and without specific attention to this detail I am now unsure of the uppers. Most appear to be a deep draw stamping, possibly stamped hot as well. But some almost appear to be of sintered iron construction. Itís hard to tell in pictures but perhaps they have a slightly thicker wall thickness which would most likely be necessary for a sintered iron construction. I flipped through a copy of Hitlerís Garands but did not see any mention of details like this. Perhaps this is a fairly known detail and I have just missed any mention of it?? Looking forward to any input on this and for quick reference have included some pictures from our reference here.

Clay
    What year and manufacturer is your project G41?
    There may have been variations in manufacturing and quality that spanned early Walther "push button" thru late BLM.

Damian, itís a 43 BLM, made late in the F block. Iím not familiar with serial ranges on these so I donít know where that places it production wise. The question is mostly out of curiosity as I wouldnít be doing any sintered iron parts if I wanted to haha. It doesnít seem out of the question since other parts in the G/K line were already sintered.

The last block for BLM G.41 rifles was in the h block. Highest known is duv43 G.41 #6575h. There was one report of G.43 duv43 #3620i, receiver only in February 2014 that was reportedly confirmed by a collector.

I've got the BLM e block in the picture reference. Identical to your needs, I'll email you some more detailed photos.

I've got the BLM e block in the picture reference, identical to yours. I'll email you some more detailed photos.