Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help and information on a BSW/KKW

Default Need help and information on a BSW/KKW

Hello all! Just got signed up here since this board seemed like the place with people who might be able to help me out. I recently semi-inherited a KKW rifle made by BSW that I'm hoping to find some information about. To be honest I'm getting a bit lost in the mountain of information about the rifles. At the end of the day I'm hoping to find out some specifics like "how to actually refer to the model properly" and "is it real" and there's always the "what the heck is it worth" question although I plan to keep it.

So I guess first up would be the basics:
    K.K. Wehrsportgewehr Serial: 209518
    Kal. 22 Lang Fur Buchsen
    WETTKAMPFTAGE 1939 SA-GR. KURPFALZ / Portland Mainz-Weisenal
    (something) B (something) U 5,4 mm
    Made by BSW in Suhl apparently.

Now the bad news that will be readily apparent in the photos -- long ago the rifle apparently got a replacement stock, and the original sights are long gone too. The sling in the pictures may or may not be original and apparently got torn after the pictures were taken anyways. So the other part of my question would be how hard it'd be to get original parts to restore it and if it was worth it.

I appreciate any info in addition to what I've already gotten scouring your pages!
    Attached Images Attached Images

that's tragic. BSW S/A presentation rifle... shooting award. Denny Gaither had one similar but not ruined.

What was once a very collectable KKW is now a shooter .22
    -Peter

wtb: bnz single claw sniper scope with rings.

"History is always written by the victor and the histories of the losing parties belong to the shrinking circle of those who were there" Jochen Peiper.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    What was once a very collectable KKW is now a shooter .22
    So am I gathering that it's probably not really worth restoring versus just enjoying in current condition? I assume that finding the parts and such would be difficult at best.

The parts you would need to restore this rifle are virtually impossible to obtain. Enjoy it as a shooter (its chambered in .22 LR).

I have an orig stock (and probably a bolt body) if you want to start a restore,,, email if interested => K98@bobinohio.com .... expensive, but not ridiculous

email => K98@bobinohio.com

I would pay $3-500 if it was at a show and then restore it, but that's just me. Parts can be found, but will take time.
    Ken

You can find the parts. I got a BSW awhile back that had a rear sight issue... browsing ebay and whats ending in an hour? a KKW sight. Things just pop up you have to be vigilant. You can also get other sporters that are less messed with cheap and just part them. Post in the trader forum, people love helping others in the community. Would be a fun restore project.

The rear KKW sight I got off ebay below:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by WreckTangle View Post
    You can find the parts. I got a BSW awhile back that had a rear sight issue... browsing ebay and whats ending in an hour? a KKW sight. Things just pop up you have to be vigilant. You can also get other sporters that are less messed with cheap and just part them. Post in the trader forum, people love helping others in the community. Would be a fun restore project.

The rear KKW sight I got off ebay below:
    So it sounds like there might be hope after all. Sights, to me, are the thing that I'd most want to rectify. I like the piece as a bit of history but would like it to be history in use, and I do have to say that the stock that's on it is very comfortable to me. That said, if I am on eBay or other such sites, I guess that begs the "I don't know much" question of if there were different types of sights on these? Would I just be looking for KKW or were there sub varieties? I definitely appreciate the included pictures as a reference?

Then the next point would be if I moved on from there, other than the stock, are there any other major items on the list??

Handguard, handguard clip, bands, retaining pins and bayonet mount.