Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I hate pins.

Quote Originally Posted by moconfed View Post
    You mentioned not all parts match. Does the rear sight base match the receiver? What is the barrel code? Is your front sight base cut for a hood?
    The barrelled receiver (including sights) are all matching. So therefore no sight hood slot as it is an early war K98.

Sounds like I'll be looking for punches on steroids and using a bit of heat to encourage it.

Thanks fellas! Wish me luck!

I measured several pin samples from Mauser Oberndorf rifles (S/42G, Standard Modell, Portuguese 98k) using a metric micrometer. All measure 1.8mm. Probably a metric wire gage. They measured .071” dia. using a standard micrometer.

Sight leaf: One hole loosely accepts a #50 drill (.070” dia.) Another will accept a #49 Drill (.073” dia.) The next larger size drill will not fit. I suspect that the as-drilled hole size is .071-.072” dia. and that this small sample demonstrates fabrication tolerance differences. I don’t have a small metric drill set to use verify hole diameters.

I noticed that one of my pins was bowed. This serves to add some interior spring tension in the larger hole measured.

I wonder if someone tried to use a tapered pin? Try to drive out from both sides?

Heat suggestion is good. Maybe grind or break off the pin so that the leaf can be removed from the base? Clamp the leaf in a vice so that the hole region is exposed. Heat with a torch and try to remove the pin before the piece cools. Not much heat will be needed to expand the hole. (If the steel glows red it is too hot.) The vice will serve as a heat sink. Even better heat dispersal if the vice has copper jaw protectors to provide more efficient heat dispersion.

Also had posting issues when I tried to post a more detailed version of this twice yesterday. The system automatically logged me out and the post was lost.
    Last edited by GEM; 12-26-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Sir, 3.3mm is over 1/8” that doesn’t make any sense. That would be a 1.8mm pin if it measures .071.

A few years ago in a similar incident another new member confused the 1/8" large holes drilled into the rear sight ears with the diameter of the rear sight leaf pin and banged the snot out of the rear sight until it needed to be replaced.
    Newbies regularly confuse the very small pin diameter (about 1/16") with the sight leaf's protrusions that hook into the rear sight ears.

Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    Sir, 3.3mm is over 1/8” that doesn’t make any sense. That would be a 1.8mm pin if it measures .071.
    Big oops. 1.8mm is correct. I also confirmed the number by a conversion calculation. Misread the dial on my Mauser-made metric micrometer which is set up differently than on a standard instrument.
    Last edited by GEM; 12-26-2018 at 12:11 PM.

Hey it happens, I once had a custom driveshaft built for my truck 1” too long because I thought I was being all accurate and so I skipped in 1” on my tape measure to avoid the hook end and forgot to subtract that inch, I sure felt like an idiot when it bottomed out in the slip yoke! Haha .