Third Party Press

Christmas K98k ammo pouches

Zeppelin5000

Hey all, thought I'd share a Christmas acquisition. These pouches are in beautiful condition. It's awesome how there is still a name tag in the center pouch. I believe they are post-war. From what I have read, pouches marked "Ackva Lederwaren Bad Kreutznach" were post war, the war time ones were marked similar, but "Lederfabrik" rather than "Lederwaren". Maybe some of you guys can shed some more light.

Attachments

• 20181228_120036.jpg
    20181228_120036.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20181228_120007.jpg
    20181228_120007.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20181228_120121.jpg
    20181228_120121.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 62
  • 20181228_120213.jpg
    20181228_120213.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 54
Back in the early 1980s when I first began to shift my collecting interests to German longarms, I found this set of K98 3-cell pouches at a LGS for $20./pair. This was top dollar at the time when a decent pouch was typically a $5. expense. However, both the outstanding condition of the pair and each bearing the same manufacturer marking rated the additional expenditure. Both are marked identically on the reverse "ACKVA LEDERWAREN | GmbH | BAD KREUTZNACH". An added bonus was the forward pouch pocket lid on one of them was marked in ink as pictured in the third photo...which looks like a wartime issue marking to me. In addition, the quality of both material and construction of the pouches certainly equate to pre-1941 standards. With the huge number of surplus wartime manufactured pouches remaining all over Europe when WW2 ended, it seems to me there would be little demand for newly manufactured ammo pouches during the Post-WW2 era...

Attachments

• K98 3 Cells 1.JPG
    K98 3 Cells 1.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 36
  • K98 3 Cell Rev 2.JPG
    K98 3 Cell Rev 2.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 39
  • K98 3 Cell 3.JPG
    K98 3 Cell 3.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
You are correct, the ones marked "Ackva Lederwaren GmbH Bad Kreuznach" are post war made, probably right after WW2 for the West Germans. The wartime marking is "Carl Ackva Lederfabrik Bad Kreutznach". I have (or recently sold) one that was 41 dated that was marked this way, but have a mint set of these postwar pouches too, they are identical to mid war 98k pouches.

Back in the early 1980s when I first began to shift my collecting interests to German longarms, I found this set of K98 3-cell pouches at a LGS for $20./pair. This was top dollar at the time when a decent pouch was typically a $5. expense. However, both the outstanding condition of the pair and each bearing the same manufacturer marking rated the additional expenditure. Both are marked identically on the reverse "ACKVA LEDERWAREN | GmbH | BAD KREUTZNACH". An added bonus was the forward pouch pocket lid on one of them was marked in ink as pictured in the third photo...which looks like a wartime issue marking to me. In addition, the quality of both material and construction of the pouches certainly equate to pre-1941 standards. With the huge number of surplus wartime manufactured pouches remaining all over Europe when WW2 ended, it seems to me there would be little demand for newly manufactured ammo pouches during the Post-WW2 era...

FYI, your unit marking has been researched long ago, its:

"Stabshundertschaft Grenz Schutz Abteilung Nord II". It means BGS, technical "Hundertschaft" (like Company)"

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=265226

You are correct, the ones marked "Ackva Lederwaren GmbH Bad Kreuznach" are post war made, probably right after WW2 for the West Germans. The wartime marking is "Carl Ackva Lederfabrik Bad Kreutznach". I have (or recently sold) one that was 41 dated that was marked this way, but have a mint set of these postwar pouches too, they are identical to mid war 98k pouches.

Thanks Mr Farb!

My thanks mrfarb as well. Dang...never would have occurred to me 35 years ago such a nice set of pouches were of PW manufacture ! I was cruising Feebay yesterday and looking at these pouches. It was shocking to see what some sellers think a average pouch is worth. Also was unaware collectors have been accumulating data on these as to manufacturer, etc. (like what has been done with German bayonet frogs). Well, got a good friend whom likes W. German/BGS stuff and maybe he can use them. If not, the way things are today, expect they would do very well on Feebay based on condition alone...

Last edited:
In addition to the stamping shown above by Wolfgang there was an earlier pattern marking of CARL ACKVA > BAD KREUZNACH > 1940 found on S84/98 bayonet frogs. The CARL ACKVA portion of the marking forms an arch. Other early dates may exist as well. Trying to find the pic in my files .....

like this one ...
found on holsters and frogs.
PS: but I did not see on ammo pouches so far.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-04 um 21.12.28.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-04 um 21.12.28.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back