Third Party Press

Kahles H4X60 High Turret Sauer Scope

Hercules

I bought this Kahles H4X60 High Turret Scope and quickly traded it away. Tough to let it go. It is a very rare and excellent scope in my opinion. These Sauer type scopes are tough to find. Thanks for your interest.

Last edited:
Why in the world would You want to take that Scope and trade it right after getting it . I hope You got something good in trade !!!!!!!!!

If that scope belonged to me I would have never let it go !!!!! :faint:

I have seen 3 or 4 these Kahles H/4X60 all had Sunshades that were in the White on Out Side and Black on inside . Of these four Scopes , I mention 1 was 39XXX and other 3 were 40XXX , I maybe wrong but I suspect these early H/4x60 came with Unpainted Sunshade early on and at some later/higher serial range this was changed to were inside & outside of SunShade was painted black .

Has anyone else noticed this trend ????

Last edited:
Why in the world would You want to take that Scope and trade it right after getting it . I hope You got something good in trade !!!!!!!!!

I have seen 3 or 4 these Kahles H/4X60 all had Sunshades that were in the White on Out Side and Black on inside . Of these four Scope I mention 1 was 39XXX and other 3 were 40XXX , I maybe wrong but I suspect these early H/4x60 came with Unpainted Sunshade early on and at some later/higher serial range this was changed to were inside & outside of SunShade was painted black .

I got held up at gun point by a guy with a Single Rune! Ha Ha.

I first had issues with this scope, but after a look into my collection for comparison it appears to me that this may be a Jägerspende scope. The serial number is out of sniper scope range.

I first had issues with this scope, but after a look into my collection for comparison it appears to me that this may be a Jägerspende scope. The serial number is out of sniper scope range.

I have several other Kahles H4X60 High Turret and LSR Scopes in this serial range of 40803 on my serial number list. The early Low Turrets were in range of 14XXXX. Not sure what you see wrong here with serial number.

I have seen 3 or 4 these Kahles H/4X60 all had Sunshades that were in the White on Out Side and Black on inside . Of these four Scope I mention 1 was 39XXX and other 3 were 40XXX , I maybe wrong but I suspect these early H/4x60 came with Unpainted Sunshade early on and at some later/higher serial range this was changed to were inside & outside of SunShade was painted black .

Trend? I haven't seen enough to notice a trend!

Nice scope, Hercules. Or whomever has it now!

Jeff

Is it really a Jagerspende? We see Kahles H4x60 scopes on Low turrets, high turrets and even LSR rifles with recoil ring. Seems like a lot of scopes over a period of a year to be hunter's donations. Unless this was a very popular scope in Germany during this time. Doesn't it seem more logical that Sauer was purchasing civilian scopes directly from Kahles?

Awesome upper Brian! Question for a noobie, what are the sunshades made of, aluminum? I noticed in hand a cad with sunshade and flaked paint appeared to be aluminum but this is far more “white” in appearance, just lighting? Surface oxidation of the aluminum? Also Dave mentioned more “in the white” all flaked paint? or truly painted white? Before I even read responses I was wondering if maybe the white was for reflection instead of heat absorption around the lense like if it was black, but if it’s truly just worn paint then I am just thinking WAY too hard into this :laugh:

Awesome upper Brian! Question for a noobie, what are the sunshades made of, aluminum? I noticed in hand a cad with sunshade and flaked paint appeared to be aluminum but this is far more “white” in appearance, just lighting? Surface oxidation of the aluminum? Also Dave mentioned more “in the white” all flaked paint? or truly painted white? Before I even read responses I was wondering if maybe the white was for reflection instead of heat absorption around the lense like if it was black, but if it’s truly just worn paint then I am just thinking WAY too hard into this :laugh:

I have heard it called Kriegsmetal. Germans running out of resources. I think that is like pot metal. It is very brittle and breaks easy. I believe it was painted black. Paint does not stick well to this metal. Thanks.

The material of the Sunshade is what we in the USA call Pot Metal also known as Monkey Metal , White Metal or its Actual Market name (Die Cast Zinc) . The Color is actually distorted a bit in Brian`s photos . Its more a lighter gray / silver gray color .

The attached Pic may help clarify it true color .

Attachments

• 64.jpg
    64.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 93
Kahles

do not forget Kahles H4X60 on SSR mount...
regards

Is it really a Jagerspende? We see Kahles H4x60 scopes on Low turrets, high turrets and even LSR rifles with recoil ring. Seems like a lot of scopes over a period of a year to be hunter's donations. Unless this was a very popular scope in Germany during this time. Doesn't it seem more logical that Sauer was purchasing civilian scopes directly from Kahles?

Well, I do not follow that WWII stuff extensively anymore, but I see no evidence that the scope could be from the Jägerspende.
From my experiance, scopes from the Jägerspende (scopes from civilians turned in (donated?) for the military did not saw any further modifications.
The H/4x60 shown here has a sun shade and has no focus adjustment. Typical for a military contract scope. I've never ever encountered a scope from the Jägerspende with such modifications.
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?8628-Kahles-H4x60-with-matching-SSR-and-base

Thanks
Wolfgang

I do not know which databases you run. Kahles 40458 e.g. is SSR. Kahles 41xxx (which includes the 141xxx SN) are low turret. HT begins somewhere in the 42xxx area.

Jägerspende was called at the end of 1942. If a scope was turned in it has of course to be modified to military specifications. So for me these HT scopes in the 40xxx area are civilian scopes turned in when HT scopes were en vogue.

..after some consideration I have to change my opinion. Obviously the scope presented in the thread was delivered to the military, but became later on a HT scope. So my educated guess is that the SSR gun was destroyed somehow, scope was returned and SSR scope was reworked into a HT scope.

The database never lies!

Very interesting thread. Thanks to all.

I would love to have owned this but doubt I will own a JPS HT, or LT for that matter, anytime soon, if ever.

Military Rifle Journal
Back