Third Party Press

Possible Legit LSR...or a turd.

NathanLM

Found this rifle at a shop while on vacation. I don’t have my reference books with me. Can anyone knowledgeable tell me what they see? BCD 4 receiver with what looks like LSR scope. Astrawerke receiver with e/37. Smooth buttplate. 803v I think is the serial number. Khales scope.

Attachments

• 61821D52-9BBD-4205-B150-CC065227DB36.jpg
    61821D52-9BBD-4205-B150-CC065227DB36.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 256
  • 165152CE-BA9A-4D4A-AA46-F3156C6FDB15.jpg
    165152CE-BA9A-4D4A-AA46-F3156C6FDB15.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 55595CF5-C5FE-4B3E-B8A6-CDAFA1B6CFEE.jpg
    55595CF5-C5FE-4B3E-B8A6-CDAFA1B6CFEE.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 189
Last of them. I’m planning on going back. Hopefully it’s worth it.

Attachments

• 68C3F4EB-D118-446F-8284-B2361606DC90.jpg
    68C3F4EB-D118-446F-8284-B2361606DC90.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 43BF2A4E-BFF5-4FE6-90CD-B49CDDA84747.jpg
    43BF2A4E-BFF5-4FE6-90CD-B49CDDA84747.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 143
Wait for others input, but I think it might be good based on those pictures. "v" and "w" are correct blocks for Sauer made LSR on BCD receivers. Stock seems replaced hence smooth butt plate. It should be checkered.

Jack

Well for one thing I've noticed it does have the correct milled down safety. I also want to add some of these sniper rifles have been found with smooth buttplates but they were letter changed out to the checkered kind to enhance the rifle by collectors. Nathan I would like to see some better pictures of the stock if you're able.

Looks like an early v block as well.

Could you also show a picture of the bolt root as well. It could be the lighting but from the picture it looks almost too smooth.

I was thinking that stock cut out looks kind of poorly done for the Germans...but I am not a sniper guy...

I was thinking that stock cut out looks kind of poorly done for the Germans...but I am not a sniper guy...

I'm thinking that as well Mike. I for one have not bought a sniper rifle yet for the past two years I've just been studying them. My gut feeling is telling me this is a restored sniper. If it is it still has value if the price is right. But I want to see more pictures.

Not so sure about that cut either, will have to see what the sniper guys think, hard to tell from these pictures but the stock looks Gustloff, with that G cross bolt it could be either though. Did JPS use C stocks late in the game, can’t remember? The bolt machining in the 4th picture looks JPS so likely good even though the root can’t be seen.

Not very good pictures, but action could be real. Safety looks flat to me. Looks re-stocked. Scope and mount could be real from what I can see. Take out of stock to see receiver area to see if LSR. I bet it is. Looks like a CE built LSR on BCD receiver. Must take apart to be sure. How much money?

This rifle was $2.3k. About an hour after I left someone put it on layaway. Long story short, I didn’t have the knowledge at the time to drop the money without a second opinion and that short delay was enough to lose any chance at it. Probably won’t be able to provide any more photos. I took crappy photos because I thought for sure the rifle was no good. Definitely has problems but maybe worth the money. Looks like I messed up!

A well built complete repro (with good components) is worth that. It was a Sauer to boot too! :facepalm:

Keep up with the shop until its paid off. I walked into a shop that had a navy luger, and walked out. It was put on layaway when I came back to buy it. Fast forward 4 months and it was back out in the case.

Nathan, your experience is why I created a website about German snipers. So you could have looked up information while you were at the store.

As Brian pointed out not very good pictures so can't say anything with 100% certainty. But it does appear to be a legit LSR assembled by JPS. Stock looks bad so personally I wouldn't feel bad about not getting it. It will never be right.

By chance do you remember, did the scope have a recoil ring? It looks like it is a Kahles H4x60 scope.

. I don’t know about the recoil ring. I haven’t put any study into the LSR as I’ve always focused on MO rifles. Really showed today when I had something in my hands and didn’t know enough to make a decision on the spot. Shiiiiit:facepalm:

It’s definitely a Kahles scope. I don’t know about the recoil ring. I haven’t put any study into the LSR as I’ve always focused on MO rifles. Really showed today when I had something in my hands and didn’t know enough to make a decision on the spot. Shiiiiit:facepalm:

That sucks, but like ugafx4 said, keep on top it, maybe throw $100 at them, with the understanding if the sale doesn't go through, they would call you, and if it does, give you back the $100...good faith money if you will....

Military Rifle Journal
Back