Third Party Press

Noob with a Mauser

Papasgun

Registered
My grandfather was a doctor in the cavalry in WWI (and hated his horse until the day he died.) In a closet he had some pieces that I recall seeing as a kid (helmet with eagle, spike, and shrapnel hole), trench knife, etc. I was awed by a bolt action rifle, however. 50 years later, my father died (recent) and among the crap in his closet was that rifle. It appears to be a Erfurt 1916, with the last two numbers of the serial number being "71." All the pieces of metal that are visible appear to be stamped with "71." There is some surface rust on the bluing, but all marks and stamps are quite clear.

I took it to a friend, who is really knowledgeable about military rifles this is the first (of 14) gun I have owned of which has wood on it and the more we looked the happier he seemed. There is a leather sling (I am almost sure it is real, and original) on the rifle but it is somewhat stiff and dry. In accordance with his suggestion, I have ordered some Pecard Antique leather treatment as well as some Neatsfoot oil. The plan is to get the leather soft enough to thread through the barrel band, remove the strap and keep it somewhere safe.

We cleaned the bore, and it does not look like it was ever used. The plan is to remove the action so we can A. Acertain the condition of the wood (there are no splits, checks, or other indications of problems) and B. See if there are any marks on the bottom of the barrel/action.

My questions (and there are likely to be bunches) to start with are:
1. On the right side of the stock the sling has a square swivel doohickey attached to the end of the sling. When the button is pressed, the 1" (or so) sling swivel opens. Why? What was attached to it?
2. On the left side, near the loop of the sling (it fastens by turning one metal piece 90 degrees and poking through the leather; I can see how that works) there is another metal loop which is loose on the sling. One side of that loose piece is puckered, shaped like a cartoon upper lip. What is this for?

Since I am new, I will need some posts before I can send photos (according to the instructions.) I plan to send photos so I can ask more questions-

Thanks for your help-
No, it's not for sale...

Generally I do not dive into posts that do not provide some general information first. But assuming you are just searching basic information based upon a trifling of details, I assume you have a Gewehr98 and not Kar.98a? The sling sounds as much anyway.

A K98a sling has a sewn on m-buckle on one end and a studded keeper that adjusts through 9 holes at one end. The G98 has a loose m-buckle that has a stud on one side for adjustment. The other end has a sewn on quick release to change from carry to parade positions.

Really pictures would make all the difference and the more details the better. Generally the more detailed the pictures, the more detailed the answers... you post three arms length shots you will get vague arms length answers (at best).

Assuming you have a G98 Erfurt/16, it is a less common maker-date, though condition is everything as it relates to value. A K98a Erfurt/16 is extremely common, even in nice shape, though a desirable rifle in upper grades.

Assuming you have a G98 Erfurt/16, it is a less common maker-date, though condition is everything as it relates to value. A K98a Erfurt/16 is extremely common, even in nice shape, though a desirable rifle in upper grades.[/QUOTE]

That I agree to there were a hell of alot more Kar98a carbines made in the year of 1916 by Erfurt then Gew 98 rifles. They were scaling way back on rifles more and focusing more on carbines, Lugers, and MG08 machine guns. So a already less common rifle plus finding a nice 1916 dated rifle in really nice shape is not easy either.

The attachment on the bottom is called a klamerfuss, probably spelled wrong, and is so the sling can be detached from the rifle. The original German slings were sewn on the attachment and that's the way they were removed from the rifle. Without pictures it's hard to tell what you are talking about with the loop end of the sling but if the attachment at the top has an oval metal piece that you poke through the sling end and turn sideways it might be an Austrian sling. Just a guess without pictures though and as a suggestion if the rifle has been stored properly and shows no signs of rust and really is original I wouldn't take it apart and risk damaging something.

I think the loose loop on the sling he refers to is the trade loop. (for the op's benefit) The purpose of this loop, when the sling is adjusted to proper length, the sling is removed from the rear of the stock by means of the detachable swivel. The loose loop is then hooded into the small hook on the bottom of the front barrel band, the detachable swivel is then attached in the hole in the front of the trigger guard. This puts the sling into "parade Position" but allows quick transition to carry position.

Military Rifle Journal
Back