Third Party Press

New G/K43 Youtube video

Warrior1354

ax - hole
I have watch this guy's channel for awhile now really does some pretty good videos. Thought he brought some good points about the G/K43 rifle before shooting them. Talking about getting new springs and the adjustable gas system. Worth checking out IMO

Good video of that ac45 d block. Wish he would have rapid fired a clip just to see that happen. Crazy crack in that receiver but still shoots on.

Interesting video, 100% from a shooter perspective.

How accurate is his comment about using stripper clips to reload later in the war on the K43 and SVT?

From a shooting perspective I agree, a good video. He was clueless in his talk of finishes and "battlefield guns". His SVT is dialed in at the end though! :thumbsup:

From a shooting perspective I agree, a good video. He was clueless in his talk of finishes and "battlefield guns". His SVT is dialed in at the end though! :thumbsup:

I guess I felt like being nice this morning, so thank you for saying that. A few points in the video he lost me with the stuff that sounds like the banter I overhear at gunshows.

His History and technical information is terrible. The main walkaway though is that it drives home the fact that you need to educate yourself, not rely on these guys. That applies from both a historical AND end user perspective. Unfortunately, some take these kinds of videos as gospel simply because they are popular. We live in a high school world. I will admit though, I usually enjoy watching his videos although this one was a bit painful to watch.

The G/K43 have a very distinct sound when fired, even more distinct from a distance. It came out pretty good in this video.
He pretty much lost me when he started talking about a K41. I'll give him credit for emphasizing on installing a shooter kit.

Like everyone said great video for a shooters perspective as a collectors perspective no. Still better video then most and telling people to put the adjustable gas system in these rifles. Will save more of these fine rifles for the future collectors.

In the previous video, he showed how to disassemble the gun and clean it. That was the most helpful video. If he would have made more instructional videos, I would have signed up, but I already liked it. Cool guy, he knows his stuff. I don't know much about rifles but I like to admire hunting and read about it. I don't think he will just bullshit and buy youtube views or views. He's a hard nut to crack, good for the guy

Last edited:
Does he discuss cleaning the gas system as well ? I done diddly dicked myself not doing that, after about 2 weeks it seized, being new and all...

Corrosive salts ain't no joke.

Does he discuss cleaning the gas system as well ? I done diddly dicked myself not doing that, after about 2 weeks it seized, being new and all...

Corrosive salts ain't no joke.

Cleaning is important, but the easiest fix for this is not shooting corrosive ammo out of expensive guns. I've retired it in all my semi-autos, and honestly I barely even shoot it in the bolt actions any more. I really need to just sell my remaining surplus at this point.

Don't shoot cheap ammo in expensive guns, it's just not worth it. Heck, you don't even really save that much since it's not like a G/K43 is going to be a high-volume range gun. The difference between new production Prvi and surplus these days is about $.50/rd. If you shot 500 rounds through your G/K43 in a year (which is a fair bit for a gun like that) you're only saving $250.

G/K43s and the parts to repair them cost significantly more than $250.

While I'm thinking about it:

Cleaning the gas system is pretty simple, but takes a little bit of time. I remove the upper hand guard and totally remove the gas system - pull the gas cup, remove the op rod, unscrew the piston. The inside of the handguard gets a wipe-down with a damp cloth to remove the fouling that's inevitably there, as does the lower wood. I wipe down the barrel with some hoppes because, again, you're going to have fouling there and that will rust eventually if it's corrosive. Back when I shot corrosive in my semi-autos I'd also de-stock the action once a year to make damn sure I didn't have any residue hiding under the woodline because, again, rust. Starting to see why I don't shoot corrosive any more?

Wipe down the op-rod etc. with a solvent rag. I flush the inside of the cup with solvent (usually I just fill it half-way with hoppes, stick my finger over the end, and shake it back and forth for a minute), and then I flush the inside of the piston with solvent. That can get a bit fiddly, and having something compressed in a can helps a lot.

Then I hose out the gas block with solvent. Turn the gun upside down, point the muzzle down, and drip/spray solvent through it until it's running out the gas port and out the barrel. That should get the worst of the buildup out and prevent rusting, but "should" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence and it's also part of why I don't shoot corrosive any more.

After that, clean the barrel as you normally would. Make sure to also run a rag around the inside of the receiver get any stray soot. Disassemble the bolt, wipe it down with a solvent rag, dry it, and re-oil it. Pay special attention to the bolt face.

Make sure you do all this as soon as you get home, every single range trip.

Or, you know, don't shoot corrosive out of expensive guns and use the same cleaning regimen you'd use for any other rifle. I still swab out my barrel within a few days of every range trip, but it's easily been a couple years since I did the full gas system tear down and deep clean. I just pulled it out of my safe and popped the hand guard off to take a quick look at the piston and cup and nope, still no rust. They're dirty though.

One more one more thing:

If you're new to G/K43s, don't shoot 50s era Yugo out of them. That shite has killed a few rifles. I've personally experienced case-head splits (not neck, case head) shooting it from K98ks. That gave me a very "interesting" in-person demonstration of how a model 98 bolt handles high pressure gas being places it shouldn't. The G/K43 does not handle that quite so gracefully.

Love shooting my K43. I put the shooters kit in mine of course. It's about time for it to hit the range again.....

Lately I have been hung up on one of my all time favorite rifles to shoot, the M1 Garand.

Love shooting my K43. I put the shooters kit in mine of course. It's about time for it to hit the range again.....

Lately I have been hung up on one of my all time favorite rifles to shoot, the M1 Garand.

My most recent semi-auto love affair is the Model 8. Just such a delightful "ka-CHUNK" every time it cycles, and it manages to cycle pretty softly despite that.

.32 Remington is a bit of a PITA, though.

One more one more thing:

If you're new to G/K43s, don't shoot 50s era Yugo out of them. That shite has killed a few rifles. I've personally experienced case-head splits (not neck, case head) shooting it from K98ks. That gave me a very "interesting" in-person demonstration of how a model 98 bolt handles high pressure gas being places it shouldn't. The G/K43 does not handle that quite so gracefully.
I'm aware of shooting suspect military ammo out of semi autos, no mg, clean it right away.. just didn't consider the gas system as it was my first time shooting one. At worse Im out around $200 on some new gas parts, so lesson learned.

Shot ww2 german ammo.

Thank you for the how too on cleaning the gas system will use this next time.

I only shoot PPU out of my K43 and I may only do 2 boxes a year. My surplus ammo is for the bolt guns but I clean all the rifles that day or next after shooting and never had any issues.

I'm aware of shooting suspect military ammo out of semi autos, no mg, clean it right away.. just didn't consider the gas system as it was my first time shooting one. At worse Im out around $200 on some new gas parts, so lesson learned.

Shot ww2 german ammo.

Thank you for the how too on cleaning the gas system will use this next time.

The Yugo 50's wasn't suspect either until it started killing rifles.

Age does funky stuff to ammo. Surplus from the 50s is closing in on 75 years old now. Everything from storage conditions to how much the ammo has been transported/handled to the specific ways that the propellent degrades. Nitrocellulose-based powders in particular (which is most smokeless powders) gives off NO, NO2, HNO2, and HNO3. Those last two are nitrous acid and nitric acid, respectively. Here's an article about that: https://www.researchgate.net/public...Nitrocellulose_Some_Microcalorimetric_Studies

Nitrous and Nitric acid don't play well with either steel or brass cases. Weaker cases can lead to bad stuff, especially with unsupported chambers or guns that are extracting partially under pressure.

It's normally not a problem if you're shooting ammo that's a reasonable age. But, again, even ammo made in the 70s is over 50 years old now.

My hard rule these days is that I don't shoot anything made before 1970. I just don't trust the brass. No way I'd shoot something from WW2. Again, those split heads on the Yugo scared the crap out of me and I started reading up on what happens to ammo as it ages. So much of it is dependent on things we'll never know - how it was handled, how it was stored, etc - that I just don't think it's worth the risk.

Here's one of the case heads:

yKRXZj3.jpg

I keep that guy in my desk to remind me that guns are expensive, ammo is (relatively) cheap, and fingers/eyes are irreplicable.

Military Rifle Journal
Back