Third Party Press

Need help with Walther Sportmodell

Hi all. My friend is selling one her inherited rifles she got from the passing of her parents - this Walther Sportmodell - to help support her little girl. It's a neat rifle and I'd love to buy it, but I want to give her a fair price since she's a single mom. But neither of us know anything about it or what it's worth.

I've seen similar go for a myriad of prices, but I know this is not a DSM or a Hitler Youth trainer. It seems to be just a civilian model. Can anyone confirm? Can anyone tell me anything else about it? It think it was made in the 1935-36 range. Anyone know for sure? It also appears that maybe the bolt handle has been modified? Or has it just been really worn down and all bluing is off?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!!

Attachments

• Walther Sportmodell 02.jpg
    Walther Sportmodell 02.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Walther Sportmodell 01.jpg
    Walther Sportmodell 01.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Walther Sportmodell 04.jpg
    Walther Sportmodell 04.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Walther Sportmodell 05.jpg
    Walther Sportmodell 05.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Walther Sportmodell 06.jpg
    Walther Sportmodell 06.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Walther Sportmodell 10.jpg
    Walther Sportmodell 10.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 64
  • Walther Sportmodell 12.jpg
    Walther Sportmodell 12.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Walther Sportmodell 11.jpg
    Walther Sportmodell 11.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Walther Sportmodell 14.jpg
    Walther Sportmodell 14.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Walther Sportmodell 15.jpg
    Walther Sportmodell 15.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 58
I was hoping someone more informed would post, but none forthcoming, I guess I will give you my thoughts.

I track Walthers, though not aggressively. I occasionally shoot small bore competitions and use a Walther Meisterbusche I purchased that was badly molested.

I recently tracked a SportModell that sold for a around $500, but that info is on my shop computer and would need to look it up to see exactly. Last year I bought an Original Meisterbusche with some minor wear and rust issues for around $550.

From a shooting standpoint, if the bore is excellent, the rifle is an excellent rifle. A rifle of not near the same quality will run around $500.

However from a collectors standpoint, the bolt has been modified for clearance for a scope. That rules out most collectors. A double edged sword, you can find a replacement bolt, however it would no longer be matching numbers. Some view the matching numbers as more important.

If the rifle were offered to me, I would be interested in the $300 range give or take depending on details. That is low, most likely you could part it out for that or more. Conversely, if it were a friend of mine, and a single mom as stated, I would more likely be in the $500 range, knowing full well I wouldn't get that if I were to sell it.

I concur with your assessment and value. More value in stock and handguard. Modified bolt a detractor. Missing stacking rod also. Very hard to find. Not sure they are numbered. I have several and stacking rods are not numbered. A fun shooter. dj

Thanks for the thoughts and input. All info I can find is limited and from 10 years ago. It is a very nice shooter. clean bore and extremely accurate.

I wasn't sure about the bolt being modified or not. The wearing seems a little odd but I've seen different styles of bolt handles on these like these 2 below from Sportsmodells (not Deutches or Meisterbuches (sp?)).... And I've read Walther made different bolt handles throughout the years on the same model.... so again, wasn't sure as mine looks like the one in the first image below.

Attachments

• Bolt example 1A.jpg
    Bolt example 1A.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Bolt example 2.JPG
    Bolt example 2.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 41
Interesting. Your rifle falls into the "first" serial range of the Walther Sportmodell, but has the grooved receiver for a scope which is seen more in the second series.

As to value, saw a 2nd serial range recently go for $280 + Buyers Premium at a local auction, then it popped up on gunbroker the next week and sold for $440 (within the last two weeks). Condition similar to yours, but it had the stacking rod. Walther stacking rods are specific to the walther rifles so it will be hard to replace. Good part is that it looks like you have an original sling which increases the value.

Don't know about your bolt. Looks like it's been ground from the picture you supplied in your first post.

I went through my files, of the 5 Walther Sportmodell's I recorded, none have a bolt like yours.

I thought I had some other examples to look at to compare for you, but the one I was thinking of is a KKW and the other is an Anschutz, which is basically identical to the Walther, but post war.

Both of my Walther rifles are Meisterbuchse, and both have what I would consider standard Walther bolts. There may be a second version, I am not that up to speed on Walther Trainers and my Simpson book is in the house.

In MY opinion this is what a Walther bolt should look like:

Attachments

• IMG_4957.jpg
    IMG_4957.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 23
It's too bad someone modified the bolt. the stacking rod assy. is being made and can be bought for around 40.00 bucks. this does hold the upper band on.

the assessment of price is fair giving the lady all you can to help her out. On the open market Id haggle for less.. I always feel its best to pay up in situations like this.

Military Rifle Journal
Back