Third Party Press

Mp44 stock repair

Ravelo

Took my 74 year old girlfriend out yesterday, and with prolonged firing the wood screws holding the stock to the ferrule loosened.i tightened them a little but after one more mag they loosened again. The screws just pulverized the dry walnut stock. I can try to jam in a hard wood dowel in the hole, but I am afraid to crack the stock. Do you know a gunsmith who can conduct such a repair? I am getting a repro in the meantime.
Thanks.

Well, for sure start using the repro to shoot...originals are worth their weight in gold anymore....

If it were me, I would pull the stock from the ferrule, find some of the ridged harwood dowels that are quite a bit bigger in diameter than the screw shafts, drill out the holes so the dowels are a somewhat tight fit, coat the interior of the holes with Gorilla Glue, or something else that will be a very strong bond, tap the dowels into the holes, and allow to dry/cure very well, drill new pilot holes for the screws, and carefully re-install.....

Once assembled, you really shouldn't be able to tell its been repaired...

Maybe Flynaked or one of the other guys might have better ideas, but there is mine...

And then never use it to shoot with again if you have the repro...

Well, for sure start using the repro to shoot...originals are worth their weight in gold anymore....

If it were me, I would pull the stock from the ferrule, find some of the ridged harwood dowels that are quite a bit bigger in diameter than the screw shafts, drill out the holes so the dowels are a somewhat tight fit, coat the interior of the holes with Gorilla Glue, or something else that will be a very strong bond, tap the dowels into the holes, and allow to dry/cure very well, drill new pilot holes for the screws, and carefully re-install.....

Maybe Flynaked or one of the other guys might have better ideas, but there is mine...

+1 on using dowels.
Drill a hole into the dowels before tapping them into the stock. This will allow the glue trapped in the hole below the dowel to escape and prevent hydro locking of the dowel. A couple grooves on the outside of the dowel do the same job.

Great suggestion kraut! If you would like a couple of end grain plugs cut of original laminate let me know and I’ll send you some, would help the repair blend in better. I’ve got a couple 44 stocks in the shop right now and they seem to be suffering from the same issue.

Really good tips. I have an original stock that has a split partway down the center visible from the top. been trying to figure out how to repair this without it being very visible. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

looe buttstock

My 44 stock was getting a bit loose and tightening the screws only helped for a short time. Loose fit of the wood to the metal socket is the problem I had. Tight screws cannot fix that. I bedded the stock into the receiver cap with epoxy like bedding a action into a stock. Screwed the screws into epoxy filled holes. A final cleanup before the epoxy gets totally hard and nothing shows.
That's a couple years ago and solid to this day with any side to side and up and down slop filled by the epoxy.
I coated the rec. cap socket and screws with some mold release so removal (might) be possible if ever needed for some reason.
I'd be careful if drilling for a dowel. Looks like if the top hole is drilled too big or too far in one might break thru the top of the wrist area.
Pete

Last edited:
Missed that the OP said solid walnut, automatically thought laminate.

Ksh67, is that a delamination or a split in a solid wood stock? Relatively fresh or old? Old cracks and delaminations can be super tough to make go away of course, if they have become contaminated with anything, dirt and grime can completely prevent a clean joining of the split, kinda gotta see it to really have a plan of attack.

My 44 stock was getting a bit loose and tightening the screws only helped for a short time. Loose fit of the wood to the metal socket is the problem I had. Tight screws cannot fix that. I bedded the stock into the receiver cap with epoxy like bedding a action into a stock. Screwed the screws into epoxy filled holes. A final cleanup before the epoxy gets totally hard and nothing shows.
That's a couple years ago and solid to this day with any side to side and up and down slop filled by the epoxy.
I coated the rec. cap socket and screws with some mold release so removal (might) be possible if ever needed for some reason.
I'd be careful if drilling for a dowel. Looks like if the top hole is drilled too big or too far in one might break thru the top of the wrist area.
Pete
Makes sense, though my walnut stock was very dry. Will try this on a repro wood stock. Thanks.

I would personally would use acraglas gel. mix a pea sized of each and stuff half down each hole with a toothpick. Coat the screws with the releasing agent and put them in. Let it set a day or two and remove them to insure they are loose and its done. However buying a acraglas kit for a small job like that isn't the cheapest option.

This is exactly what I had done to mine.
We did a couple of K in blanks on one film and the stock just rattled off - in a manner that sounds very similar to yours.
I gave it to a friend who does such things and it will now be good for a lot more than a few thousand more rounds.

HL6bKLzl.jpg

This is exactly what I had done to mine.
We did a couple of K in blanks on one film and the stock just rattled off - in a manner that sounds very similar to yours.
I gave it to a friend who does such things and it will now be good for a lot more than a few thousand more rounds.

HL6bKLzl.jpg

I would also go the route of the toothpicks with wood glue or acu-glass , drilling would be the very last resort

lots of great idea's, heck even the repro stocks are spendy

I would also go the route of the toothpicks with wood glue or acu-glass , drilling would be the very last resort

lots of great idea's, heck even the repro stocks are spendy

Yes - agreed.

In my case, however, 70 odd years of oil, rust and moisture had caused wood fatigue from the recoil spring cavity outwards, so replacing the wood by drilling and pegging, revitalized the stock with no external evidence, and made for an extremely solid fix.
I was going to trash the stock and buy a replacement, but, one of the armourers on the show was also a wood-worker and begged me to reconsider.

Military Rifle Journal
Back